Notary Rotary
Signing Services Business ?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by New 2005 Calif. Notary on 7/27/05 3:15pm
Msg #55136

Im a new mobil notary and It seems that out of the gate I have some kind of knack for getting calls from signing services co. I get several calls a week from them about one a day and I do a few loan signings for diff signing services co. Im a home maker with small kids and only have time and eq. to do two or three signings a week, cant take them all . I dont have a lot of personal notary contacts yet, , but I refer half of the calls I get to other mobil noteries that I dont know,and some times I get a call from them thanking me .

hope this is not silly. My question is if i have this knack can I get a fee by refering my calls ? some kind of broker. Is this not what signing services do ?

Reply by margmtz on 7/27/05 3:22pm
Msg #55139

What part of CA are you in? I too am in a similar situation.

Reply by Wendy Filice on 7/27/05 3:23pm
Msg #55140

what part of CA are you both in? I could use more signings! TIA

Reply by Georgia on 7/27/05 3:28pm
Msg #55145

I like to know what part California. I would be willing to pay a small brokers fee. I could use the business

Reply by LMag on 7/27/05 9:55pm
Msg #55234

Yeah, me too. I'm in solano county

Reply by Charm_AL on 7/27/05 3:28pm
Msg #55144

if you don't have the time to do signings, you certainly wouldn't be able to run a business as a signing service! If you are referring them out that's your choice, but most SAs will simply refuse the job if they can't do it. I don't think the SS would pay you for a name when they have a list and I think taking money from another notary for the job is like taking a kickback. I could be wrong on that, but maybe someone else would know for sure.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/27/05 3:35pm
Msg #55147

A Signing Service does more than refer calls. They have to maintain a database of experienced notaries, guarantee their work to the title companies. Have enough capital to pay the signing agents in a timely manner whether they get paid from the title company or not. Running a signing service is not easySmiley

I often refer calls to other signing agents, and they refer calls to me. I wouldn't charge them a fee for referring calls, and they don't charge me.

Reply by LMag on 7/27/05 10:02pm
Msg #55235

Re: Cooperative Referrals

I associate with about 4 other notaries - we refer to each other all the time but we don't charge for our referrals. Our attitude is that there is enough work for all of us, and if I'm not available, then if one of them are, then so much the better. I get about 1/4 of my work this way and I refer about the same amount out. It's clean - I covered signings for AJ when she was on vacation, next week when I'm on vacation, she'll cover my calls.

I'm happy to share the work.

Reply by Becca_FL on 7/27/05 10:20pm
Msg #55240

Re: Cooperative Referrals

I couldn't agree with you more. I have a nice local network of great Notaries. We all work together and we all benefit.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 7/27/05 3:41pm
Msg #55150

***other mobil noteries that I dont know***

This would bother me because if I don't know the other notary, how could I know they'd do a good job? If that notary screwed up, then I'd bet the SS wouldn't call me again. Why shoot yourself in the foot?

Reply by adrianCA on 7/27/05 3:54pm
Msg #55153

I contracted a signing out to another notary who I found on this site and things went terrible. I didn't make a fee nor was it my intention, except I could'nt make it and had to contract it out. I found someone about 5 miles away from the borrower and they got paid 150.00, she forgot to notarize the obvious and the loan didn't fund right away. So who gets the call- you guessed it, Me. Eventhough I called the source of the business and expained why I couldn't make it last minute and was nice enough to get a quick replacement- did not matter they were angry and vent it out on the notary they contacted to do the job the first time. I will never do that again.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 7/27/05 3:59pm
Msg #55157

I believe it - I've made some local contact around my area with other notaries as a result of this board and folks asking questions - but I just can't refer another notary when it probably would come back and haunt me if they didn't perform well.

I won't take that risk - SS's have notary databases up the ying yang, it's up to them to find a notary.

Reply by Jenny/CA on 7/27/05 4:46pm
Msg #55176

This is interesting to me. As I have posted before I'm new as a Signing Agent (3yrs. as Notary Public) , since I am not familiar with some documents that SS ask about I usually refer them to other SAs. I have not had any referrals from them in return but I figure it's because the SAs are doing TC signings and know that I don't have such experience.

BTW I'm from Central CA

Reply by margmtz on 7/27/05 3:56pm
Msg #55155

What I have done in the past with a few companies that I work for on a regular basis is that I will let them know my schedule is full but I will have another notary complete the assignment. Then it is your job to get the package to the notary and when the signing is complete have docs returned to you that same day and then review for accuracy and return. I have only done this for companies that pay well and trust becuase I in turn have paid the notary for their services within 2 weeks.

Reply by LS_Ca on 7/27/05 4:10pm
Msg #55164

did she ever say what part of california she was in?

Reply by Jan Marshall on 7/27/05 4:43pm
Msg #55174

Hi, Jan Marshall here. I live in the Santa Clarita Valley, here in California, send any my way!!!! My email is [e-mail address], business phone is (818) 378-1151. Look forward to hearing from you!

Reply by Jan Marshall on 7/27/05 4:46pm
Msg #55177

Also, I am certified from Notaryclasses.com. I retired from law enforcement of 25 yrs, am very familiar with the thoroughness that legal documents have to be. I wouldn't let you down.

Reply by Notarious Dave-CA on 7/27/05 6:23pm
Msg #55194

I would never subcontract out a job. The other SA may be performing it but as far as the SS is concerned, I am the one resposible. I know because I screwed up with someone else and it burned her, not me. That's when I decided that I will get my own jobs and sink or swim with them.

Reply by LMag on 7/27/05 10:10pm
Msg #55236

I should probably make it clear that when I refer jobs or take referrals, I don't sub them out. If I'm taking a referral, I take on the job and the other notary is out of the loop. Same thing if I refer a job out, I tell the TC or whoever is calling for the job that I'm not available and will call an associate if they are interested. Usually they are, because I know these Notaries and can vouch for their professionalism and thoroughness.

There is no way I will sub out a job or take a subcontract job where payment is coming from a private party - if they don't get paid then I don't get paid and if I screw up, they take the heat? No way. Can you say, "Liability?"

Reply by LMag on 7/27/05 9:53pm
Msg #55232

Where in CA? I'm in Solano County. I'm working steady, but have time for more.

Reply by Maria Espinoza on 7/28/05 2:02am
Msg #55289

I am in San Diego and could surely use the sigings. I am trying to generate at least 2 a week so that I can cut down my hours at the hospital and stay home with my 6 month old. I f this sounds like a cry for help-- it is. I would be willing to pay a brokers fee. My e-mail is [e-mail address]. thank you.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.