Notary Rotary
first signing
Notary Discussion History

first signing
Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by Jan Marshall on 7/25/05 11:28pm
Msg #54636

first signing

Well, I got my first call today. It's for a husband/wife team, 1st and 2nd from a loan signing agent in San Dimas. The borrowers were/are in Frazier Park, which is 44 miles from my house, one way. Anyways, I got the loan docs printed out okay, ended up having to have the last set faxed to Kinkos.....then, I couldn't get a hold of the borrowers. Anyways, it's 9:30 pm here, what's the latest you give someone to call you back and set up the meet time? And has anyone worked with "socalloansigning" ever? They're going to pay $100. I think that's good for my first signing.....

Reply by Anonymous on 7/25/05 11:31pm
Msg #54637

....also, I forgot to ask the ss if they need copies of the borrower's cdl.....should I recall them? Or just ask in the morning when they finally get a hold of me?

Reply by Kimberly-IN on 7/25/05 11:34pm
Msg #54640

If you end up going out tonight and can't get a hold of the SS, you better get copies just in case...otherwise, you won't get it, and will find out they needed it later.

Reply by Kimberly-IN on 7/25/05 11:32pm
Msg #54638

When you accepted the signing, was the app't time neg.? I think 9:30 is a bit late to have no callback. Next time, with that amount of miles and a piggy back...up your fee a bit. Perhaps you got a lower fee because you're a beginner, I'm not sure....I've never been in that position....but the mileage alone should get you more money.

Reply by CaliNotary on 7/25/05 11:42pm
Msg #54642

I'll one up Kimberly and say that you got hosed on your fee. Big time.

2 loans, 2 sets of edocs and 44 miles one way for $100? Those are essentially slave wages in this industry. $100 would be a reasonable fee it were a single loan with overnight docs. Add another $50 for 2 sets of edocs and another $35 - $50 for the second loan and you're in reasonable territory. And that applies even if it's your very first signing.

I know you want to start doing signings, but you're definitely not doing yourself any favors by doing it for essentially half price. Certain companies prey on new signing agents. When you ask for more money they'll drop you and find some other sucker to do it instead.

Reply by jan-ca on 7/25/05 11:46pm
Msg #54646

Jan-ca/Jan Marshall,,,you're right, my first call, I didn't even know how far I was going. The area code was the same as mine, so I assumed it was close, the phone number was/is the borrowers cell phones. Anyways, I'll see how early they call me and hopefully I'll only learn from this first experience. Thanks for the encouragement.

Reply by CaliNotary on 7/25/05 11:53pm
Msg #54651

Yeah, there's not much you can do other than live and learn in situations like this.

One of the first things you need to do is create a rate sheet for all of the cities you cover. If you do a search on this board you should find all the info you need on how to create one that works for you. I carry one in my car, one in my notary bag and keep one next to my computer so I'm usually prepared when I get a call. And if you're not prepared and you don't recognize the city, ask them to mapquest it for you from your zipcode so you'll know how many miles it is and wing it from there.

Reply by Wa notary on 7/26/05 9:30am
Msg #54705

Be careful of their mapping. I have had co's call and tell me that the city or town was only a few miles from my zip code, and when double checking them before accepting, found that it was much further!

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 7/26/05 11:38am
Msg #54749

I second that one. I had a call from an ss for e-docs and told them I'm sorry that is to far, I don't have enough time in my schedule. The girl replied with "it's only 18 miles". I told her "no it's not 18 miles, it's over an hour up the back side of the mountain. With my other appointments I didn't have time to print and get up there." I don't think she believed me. They haven't called me since then.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.