Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
first time to notaryrotary. . .but I'm somewhat an oldtimer!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by Marcia / so ca on 7/11/05 1:36pm
Msg #50986

I have been on another message board for the past few years and just found yours today. This format is such an excellent way to SEE the trends and movements of this biz. Now for my question:

To all Oregon notaries:
Can you share what is happening in your area, ie volume, fees, type of signings (helocs, refi, purchase, reverse mortg,etc.) A friend from Salem, OR told me the state is very depressed and there isn't much business to be had. Do you agree? We plan to retire to OR in about 5 years. Just wondering what I may have to look forward to. Of course I know five years is a long time. . .the entire country could boom or bust. . .just curious about Oregon now.

TIA,
Marcia

Reply by Margaret/Florida on 7/11/05 2:48pm
Msg #51007

My phone has stopped ringing for loan signings but has picked up for inspections.

Reply by Charles_CA on 7/11/05 5:56pm
Msg #51049

Hi Marcia:

Before I moved to Mendocino County from Orange County I started looking for property in Oregon; I loved the Gold Beach/Bandon area. I stayed in California for several reasons. One is that prop 13 keeps property taxes at a reasonable rate once you have invested. Remember there is a cap on how much the county can raise your property taxes. The other problem was the Oregon State Income Tax. Oregon uses a marginal tax bracket system much like California or the IRS but look at the what you expect to have for potential earnings because Oregons taxes are usurious af ther first marginal level, much more so than Californias and with a lot less oportunity to do anything about it. there is one other thing o keep in mind though it may be minor and that is if you leave California you may never be able to come back because the appreciation in property values is so mych more rapid that it is in other states. God luck to you.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.