Notary Rotary
my new dell 1700 won't
Notary Discussion History

my new dell 1700 won't
Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by IYPN on 7/20/05 8:55pm
Msg #53460

my new dell 1700 won't

I know there has been a lot of talk about printers! However they are a big part of our business and I'm having problems!!! I read message # 48882 again and it seems as though people are happy with this printer. I just got a brand new 1700 from Dell with the extra tray. I specificlly told the Dell guy on the phone when I order it that I needed it to print legal and letter size docs mixed together in files, sometimes over 100 pages. I told him I could not babysit and 3 pages legal, 4 pages letter and so on. He told me I would be able to do it. well here I sit with edocs that only print all letter or all legal!!!!!!!!!! I called Dell and after 20 minutes I was told they have NO printer that can printer like I need. At my day job ( I work for a lender) we have a hp4100 and it does it all day, every day!!!! Does someone have a 1700 that does this and if so can you tell me how to set this thing up??? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply by LauriecPA on 7/20/05 9:02pm
Msg #53461

I have that printer, I got it a few months ago. But, I have to take the tray out and slide it in for 8 1/2 x 11 and stretch it out for the 8 /12 by 14. (I didn't get an extra tray) I usually print the mortgage on 8 1/2 x 11 and most of the pkgs. I get have (just about) everything else on legal paper. If there is a page here and there on letter size, I just print it out on legal size to save the aggravation. I've never had anyone say anything about it being the wrong size.

Reply by Christine/IL on 7/20/05 9:49pm
Msg #53465

In your printers properties do you have the paper tray set on "automatically select" and paper type on "use printer settings:? That is what I have my 1700 on and I have no problems printing the doc with both legal and letter.

This is from the Help site:
About paper trays
Because you can use different paper sizes in different trays, you can choose which tray or paper feeder to use for printing your documents.

Automatically select is a special paper tray setting. If you choose Automatically select, the printer searches all available trays to try to find the paper size requested.

Note
Availability of paper trays varies depending on printer model and installed options.

Reply by Nd_WA on 7/20/05 10:01pm
Msg #53467

Did you use the disk that come with the printer to install the driver? If yes, do the following:

1. Check your printer utility menu to see if it has detected the 2nd tray.
2. Select the correct paper size used for each tray. I set letter in T1 & legal in T2 for mine.
3. Select the "Automatically Select" from the print utility or print dialogue.

What type of program are you printing the docs from?

Reply by IYPN on 7/20/05 11:40pm
Msg #53496

Thanks for all your help!!! I am trying to print a .pdf file I will try all the suggestion. I hope it works...thanks again!!!!

Reply by BrendaAR on 7/20/05 10:27pm
Msg #53474

Good Luck, with Dell support. I also bought a Dell 1700 in January. I am now on my third one. All Dell will do is replace it. I have not printed one full package without it jamming about every third or forth page. I have called and called support. I even made them listen to it jam while they were on the phone with me. They will not sent out a tech, they will not refund my money. All they will do is send a new one out. In fact the last one I received, said it was a refurbished one on the side of the box. I paid for a new one. I also bought the second tray. It also jams the paper. I am very unhappy with the printer and with Dell support. I have mine sitting in the corner collecting dust because I just gave up. I am back to using my old HP 1200 standby.

Reply by Nd_WA on 7/20/05 10:34pm
Msg #53476

BrendaAR

Sorry for the bad experience, do you want to sell me your Dell printer? You can email me at
[e-mail address]

Reply by Nd_WA on 7/20/05 11:09pm
Msg #53482

Ooops...it's [e-mail address]/m

Reply by IYPN on 7/21/05 12:10am
Msg #53502

To Nd_WA and Christine/IL

I did not find "utility" ....I went into my control panel under my printer and found Properties....I checked all the tabs and found the one that showed under "install options" the 550 tray was there and also the photo of the printer has the tray showing. I could NOT find a place to put in paper size for T1 nad T2...I saw were I can select a paper size but I only have one choice. It was already on "automatically Select"....I think you are on the right track for me...the printer knows there is another tray...but does Not know what size paper is in it....if it knew it could select legal paper "automatically" I bet it would...can you give me a quick step by step to find the T1 and T2???? you guys are smarter the the people at Dell!!!! Thanks again!

Reply by Nd_WA on 7/21/05 2:14am
Msg #53516

Re: To Nd_WA and Christine/IL

The print properties in the control panel won't do the job. You need to install the "Drivers & Utilities" cd that came with the printer on your computer to correctly configure it.

If you have or once the "Drivers & Utilities" is installed:
1. click on "Start" at bottom left.
2. Point to "All Programs".
3. Look for "Dell Printers" from the program list.
4. Place your mouse over "Dell Printers" ---->Dell Laser Printer 1700--->Dell Local Printer Setting Utility. All the necessary set ups are found in this utility.

Email me if you need further assistance...Andy

Reply by Rob_NoCal on 7/21/05 4:41am
Msg #53524

Mine Never Worked

As someone else indicated.....my 1700 "jammed" everytime I tried to print form day one....talked to customer support...they couldnt do anything....sent out another (I guess it was new and not refurbished) ....and it did the same thing. Sent them both back for a refund.....after many calls and "online chats" finally got the refund. This is all with the orignal tray. I didnt think this printer could handle both sizes of paper at once. MY ADVICE......ORDER AN HP 1320 FROM COSTCO....THERE WAS A $100.00 REBATE WHEN I ORDERED MINE.......but it does only handle one size of paper at a time.

Reply by thnotary_NY on 7/21/05 5:34am
Msg #53526

Re: To Nd_WA and Christine/IL

You might try clicking on the *File* button, in the browser, top left hand. Go to *Page Set Up* you'll see where to fix the page size.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.