Notary Discussion History

notarizing help!!!!
Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by tony r on 7/16/05 5:40pm
Msg #52692

notarizing help!!!!

Reply by tony r on 7/16/05 5:42pm
Msg #52693

I'm a new notary, some loan documents say (seal) after the person's signature. what do I have to do with this ? stamp with my seal?

Please help

Thanks,

Reply by NY_TaxLady on 7/16/05 6:01pm
Msg #52697

You didn't say where you are from.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/16/05 6:22pm
Msg #52704

No, that is an old custom from when people had their own seals.

Just use your seal on the notarizations.

Reply by tony on 7/16/05 7:17pm
Msg #52717

Thanks for the help!, I stamped my seal by their name. I think I'm about to get yelled at!!!! I'll know for next time

Reply by Brian/CA on 7/16/05 8:05pm
Msg #52727

If you haven't mailed the package void it (one line thru it , date it and initial). If there is a notary certificate and you completed it, put the stamp where it should go. Just remeber stamps ONLY go on notary certificates.

Reply by BP_WV on 7/16/05 6:30pm
Msg #52706

I always wondered what that was for too.

Reply by HisHughness on 7/16/05 10:21pm
Msg #52753

The "seal" (also abbreviated as l/s, from the Latin locus sigili) is a remnant of the English common law. Its effect today is varied. Some states no longer acknowledge it. In some states, it means that on contracts consideration is conclusively presumed. And I understand in some states it may extend the statute of limitations, but I am uncertain of that. It has nothing to do with the notary seal.

Reply by Gerry_VT on 7/16/05 7:17pm
Msg #52716

Re: private seals

You don't say what state you are from. I will use Vermont laws as an example; some other states might be similar. In olden days many people were illiterate, so important transactions had to be sealed, and anyone important enough to own land would have a private seal (just as many Asian people today have chops). I don't know if applying a private seal is ever necessary, or if it ever creates an advantage, but at least in Vermont they still exist. If you look at http://www.leg.state.vt.us/statutes/statutes2.htm you will see that Title 1 Ch. 3 Sec. 133 defines official seals (which seems to include embossing seals but not rubber stamps), and Sec. 134 defines private seals. A private seal can be like an official seal, "or of a wafer, wax or other adhesive substance affixed thereto or of a paper or other similar substance affixed thereto or the word "seal" or the letters "L.S." opposite the signature."

By the way, Vermont notaries do not have to use seals, but the SOS's manual suggests they be used for documents leaving the state.

So the word "seal" near the signature *is* the seal of the signer.

(Off Topic: I seem to be developing a collection of seals, Vermont notary and Vermont professional engineer.)

Reply by Lee/AR on 7/16/05 8:12pm
Msg #52731

Tony...

You use your rubber stamp somewhere near the notary-block... if it'll fit (without stamping over the word 'seal'...do it there). If not, find some white space. Never GO OVER any printing or signatures with your stamp.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.