Notary Rotary
penalty for a notary commiting defermation of character
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by ron on 7/13/05 11:58am
Msg #51613

Can a notary public loose their commission if they are found to have been accused of defermation of character and libel?

Reply by SamIam_CA on 7/13/05 12:07pm
Msg #51615

Re: penalty for a notary committing defermation of character

Accused or found guilty? Not a lawyer, don't know what state you're in, but I seriously doubt you could be penalized for only being accused or charged with a crime.

p.s. - defamation?

Reply by ron on 7/13/05 12:13pm
Msg #51619

I am in florida. looking to see if the person is accused and found guilty.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/13/05 12:38pm
Msg #51631

Ron
You need to read the Florida statutes, or the Governor's reference manual for the reasons a notary public can lose their commission.

I can tell you that not too long ago two Florida notaries were found guilty of UPL and fined heavily, but they still retained their commissions. So, I doubt a notary being accused of defamation of character will be grounds for revoking his/her commission.

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/13/05 12:54pm
Msg #51644

Now, maybe I am wrong, but isn't this type of lawsuit a civil one? Or does Florida have criminal penalty for defamation, etc.?

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/13/05 1:57pm
Msg #51681

I believe it would be a civil lawsuit, but I am not an attorney, nor do I play one on TVSmiley

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/13/05 2:17pm
Msg #51692

*I am not an attorney, nor do I play one on TV*

Nor am I Sylvia, however, I certainly would like to play an attorney on TV...failing that...I'd like my own reality show...like Dog, the Bounty Hunter.

Yes, I've said this before ... but I have certainly not said it as many times as Hugh has referred to a black widow spider creeping around a liquor store, so we won't go there right now.

I know...let's call my show:

"Brenda, The NSA."

Reply by OnTheGoInFla on 7/13/05 3:45pm
Msg #51734

With some of the missadventures I have had regarding signings a realty show isn't a bad Idea.

Example:
Refinance
Son in Jail
Mother in Wheelchair and legally blind.

What a job that one was....

Reply by Ted_MI on 7/13/05 4:36pm
Msg #51772

Brenda,

No, you are not wrong. Defamation of character is a civil type action. It is what is called in legal jargon a tort. As I have mentioned before that is not what you ladies pride yourselves about being able to whip up upon short notice (that by the way has an "e" on it). A tort is merely a civil wrong.

I do not really know whether there would be a criminal type of action for defamation of character in Florida. Off hand I would doubt it. It just doesn't seem to me to rise to that level to be considered criminal.

There are matters, however, that can be both civil and criminal. There can be civil actions as well as criminal actions for assault, for example.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.