Notary Rotary
sorting papers/sending to 2 places/copies to each
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by twil4/wi on 7/26/05 9:13am
Msg #54701

well, i guess ive been had again! i ask all the right questions when accepting a signing, especially with e docs. fax backs, how many pages, etc. had one last night, docs get here one hour before i have to leave, along with agency agreement to sign saying if they cancel, $25 trip fee, after printing 280 pages with borrowers copy, the closing instructions come, saying i have to send back 3 original signed copies of mortgage, deed, note, etc. have to go back into pdf and find each page and print off another 61 pages. but the real down was the instructions that after the closing, the whole package has to be sorted and there were 2 long lists of what i send to title co, what i send to lender, and what goes to signing agency. Excuse me? i spend an hour and a half after the closing sorting this all up and putting it in individual fed ex envelopes and addressing and calling it all in with tracking numbers for my original fee of "one quick refi". what happened to put it in the envelope and drop it. seems i am doing their job. oh, they also asked me to send a copy of our states register of deeds forms, affidavits and requirements. we dont take care of those kinds of things here. they want closings, they can do their own homework. has anyone ever heard of this, or am i whining while you folks do this all the time. ive done alot of closings and this is a first

Reply by Wa notary on 7/26/05 9:25am
Msg #54703

Went through the same thing this weekend, myself.......... UGH! I agree, these are out of the peramiters of what "my" description of the signing would be...
I too, have done alot of signings, just forgot about the one other time that I had one of these, such a long time ago.
Oh, while I am "whining" LOL What about the co's that send 9 (I am not making it up, counted them) pages of inst. Just confusing, if you ask me!
So, if you are getting and order from an SS with edocs and then emails from both with inst, and then they are also in the doc package, all in differnet formats......... and it is EOM, OMG!!!! :O

Reply by sue on 7/26/05 9:31am
Msg #54707

my question is why did you do all this? If the instructions were received at the time of scheduling (which I doubt) you should have priced accordingly. If they were received after the fact, you either call and get more money or you refuse to do anything other than what you were hired for, obtaining signatures & returning the package. A lot of us split packages and when you charge a high enough fee it's just part of the job but in this case it sounds like above and beyond the call of duty.

Reply by Serina/VT on 7/26/05 11:54am
Msg #54754

I think I'll try this tactic on my mechanic or hairdresser. Make an appt for an oil change or haircut and when I get there tell them that I also expect a perm for free with my haircut and a tuneup at no charge with my oil change. Think I'll get it?

Reply by Lee/AR on 7/26/05 9:26am
Msg #54704

Would you be so kind as to

Tell us who the Lender/Title Co/SS is... so we can either refuse this assignment or price accordingly. This seems to be the newest trend: "How much of our work can we get an NSA to do...and how cheap can we get them to do it?" I have had a split package--which was a nuisance & slightly time-consuming with faxbacks/overnight to different places. Know of one where the whole package was to be copied after signing & sent to a 2nd place...and, no, they were NOT compensated for the copies! This has to be nipped in the bud! Please help?

Reply by ColleenCA on 7/26/05 9:35am
Msg #54709

Re: Would you be so kind as to

Yes, the answer to "nipping this in the bud" is to call the SS back and tell them that the original quote on a "simple refi" is not what was actually sent and with all of the additional copies, fax backs, sorting, etc that either they meet your new fee of $xxx or you can not do the signing.

Reply by twil4/wi on 7/26/05 10:02am
Msg #54718

it was advantage equity and the lender was wilmington. its hard to cancel when the papers dont even get here until an hour before, and different instructions are buried in the papers/ ugh

Reply by Teasa/NY on 7/26/05 10:35am
Msg #54725

I have been blind sided with this situation also and when I would request an additional fee for these services they refused. Therefore, there are 2 title cos. that I have withdrawn my name from their databases as they refuse to pay extra for these services, which save them a lot of time, effort and money. Now I've added to the laundry list of questions asked at the initial call, is it a split package. Pretty soon we'll be preparing the docs.

Reply by LawrenceOK on 7/26/05 10:30am
Msg #54724

A simple refi my eye! This seems to be happening more and more with some companies. Copy the signed loan package, split it into 2 or 3 groups, basically fax the whole package back to all groups and then ship the darn things.
And for them NOT to disclose this untill the instructions arrive is just plain underhanded. It is obvious that they want us to do THEIR jobs. I would not mind doing this, as long as I get paid for doing their jobs, and I dont mean the $75 /w e-docs either.
I am with Lee and Sue and you to an extent Colleen. But if I accept a fee, then it's in my lap and shame on me. But they wont do it again.

Reply by Sarah Fl on 7/26/05 10:46am
Msg #54731

You hold the docs there for you hold the power! You've just done the funding and warehouseing for the title company!!! Most companies have a full time employee to do each position. In this case that was you!!!
I've had situations like this, and I can be spitful. If I've closed the loan and then find the instruction say I have stack and split docs, I call them and tell them my fee and if they don't agree and send new order with fee I don't send docs out ( they usally agree, may never use you again but do you really want them too.).
They know what there doing, so don't let them bully you!!! You've got the docs...Smiley

Reply by LawrenceOK on 7/26/05 10:56am
Msg #54736

DO NOT, REPEAT DO NOT ever hold docs hostage for any reason. You are doing harm only to the borrower not the SS TC or whoever. This act is considered by most of us on the board a flat NO NO, and you could face legal action.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 7/26/05 12:09pm
Msg #54761

I'm with LawrenceOK on this one!

Holding the borrower's documents hostage is unethical and illegal. Either call immediately when you find out that there is extra work to be done (split package, faxbacks, etc.) or write it off as "I'll know better next time" and move on.

Reply by Lee/AR on 7/26/05 1:23pm
Msg #54788

Maybe just bluff a bit~~?? If you're sure you never want to

work for them again. I'm just kidding... I think~~

Reply by Ernest_CT on 7/26/05 1:44pm
Msg #54795

What part of "unethical and illegal" ...

... is giving you trouble?

"Bluff"?r Sure. Just put your bluff in writing, that way they'll have hard evidence that you're crooked.

Yes, we can get angry at abusive behavor. No, we can't use it as a excuse for our own bad behavior.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.