Notary Rotary
unsigned check
Notary Discussion History

unsigned check
Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by DellaCa on 7/11/05 11:35pm
Msg #51122

unsigned check

Has anyone deposited a check that was not signed ?And what happened did it come back or go thru?
Thanks

Reply by Calnotary on 7/11/05 11:37pm
Msg #51123

go ahead and deposit it at the atm. 50/50 that it will come back, it will take longer to surf city to issue another one, lol

Reply by DellaCa on 7/11/05 11:44pm
Msg #51126

That what I was thinking worth a try me think Smiley

Reply by Ernest_CT on 7/11/05 11:56pm
Msg #51129

I wouldn't bother.

You may get assessed a fee for submitting an invalid check. The odds against you are much, much higher than even, IMHO.

Reply by DellaCa on 7/12/05 12:02am
Msg #51131

Re: I wouldn't bother.

Hummm you have a point but it sure would feel good to have it go thru.

Reply by droman on 7/12/05 12:48am
Msg #51137

I was actually on the other end of that coin, and gave out a check without signing it. It didn't go through, and I had to reissue a new one. Luckily, I had made the check out to my boyfriend Smiley and he understood and didn't charge me the fee he was assessed (yes, he was assessed a fee.)

Reply by CarolynCO on 7/12/05 8:23am
Msg #51160

I agree with Ernest. Just advise the issuer that the check isn't signed. They will either tell you to send it back and they will sign, or they will issue another (which I would suggest because it would take much less turnaround time). After receiving the newly signed check, you can either send the unsigned copy back or destroy it.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 7/12/05 9:14am
Msg #51178

Don't send back the unsigned check!

Keep it as evidence of the amount due and the fact that a check was issued for that amount. Don't send back the unsigned check until the replacement check has CLEARED!

Years ago if one wrote a check and (legitimately) forgot to sign it some companies would record the debt as having been paid on time and then return the check for a signature. People caught on and "forgot" to sign. Companies caught on and changed their policies.

Signatures on the Move did the unsigned check routine to me after I pressed them for a past due fee. They took quite a while to replace the unsigned check. Although they said the signing had been flawless, they have not called me for another signing.

Reply by DellaCa on 7/12/05 9:34am
Msg #51191

Re: Don't send back the unsigned check!

She want it back to sign this one, she will not send another one.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 7/12/05 9:38am
Msg #51192

That should tell you something ...

... all by itself. If you do decide to send back the unsigned check, please make a photocopy before returning the check.

Paranoid?r Me?r Paranoid?r

Reply by DellaCa on 7/12/05 2:15pm
Msg #51328

Re: That should tell you something ...

Paranoid?r Me?r Paranoid?r Not me Smiley
My bank will only charge me $4.00 if it comes back its worth a try for that.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.