Notary Rotary
Argh! $50 for city 1 hour away!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2005 Index

Posted by TulsaPRLGL on 6/12/05 5:53pm
Msg #44115

LoL, a fav SS (they are $50, but are always overnight and within 5 miles) called and asked me to do a signing in a town an hour away for $50.00-I quoted her my fee for this town, she then said that she had a notary who would do it for $50 (from MY town) but at a different time-very frustrating, but I let her know that I definately would NOT accept the signing for $50. She laughed and said yeah, I cant believe she will do it either. So not only are the these notaries working for pennies, they are being laughed at by the schedulers... almost made me feel better.

Had to vent! Thanks

Reply by John_NorCal on 6/12/05 8:27pm
Msg #44145

I once heard a quote from a business commercial, "We have no quarrel with people who sell for less, they know the value of their product." Make the appropriate changes and the theme still holds true. Some people do not value their service and/or they just can't figure out how to price themselves the correct way. At least you have some sense about you!

Reply by Jimmy_FL on 6/12/05 8:43pm
Msg #44148

These people that do these signings for peanuts are probably not aware that they are being laughed at.. I will give you a good example. A company called me Friday and asked if I would do a signing an hour and half away from me for $50.00 with edocs. I said no way and told her of my fee. She said that someone has ageed to do it for $60.00, but she wanted to find someone for $50.00 and she laughed about it. I can't believe people are doing these signings so cheap.

Reply by DMARTZ_IN on 6/12/05 9:48pm
Msg #44169

We have a retired County Clerk here in my town who will do signings for $45-50 & $10 edoc fee for some it is not a way to make a living they do them for something to do. She is the nicest person you would ever want to meet but her fee's kill me.

Reply by John_NorCal on 6/12/05 9:54pm
Msg #44172

Her fees kill you as they do for all, like you, who are doing this not merely to pass the time.

Reply by NotaryGirl_CA on 6/13/05 9:29am
Msg #44235

OK... OK.... I am now starting to think I could have made some good scratch for the $50 fee. I was working for a SS that only paid $50. I stopped because I has to pick up doc's at TC, and then drop them off after the signing at the SS's door. Too much driving around and time, so I asked for more... they said no... and I haven't heard from again. Thing is I was getting ton's of calls from them, sometimes 3 a day. So my concern is I burned a bridge that would made me consistant money and kept me busy. I am getting very bored, and started painting, which isn't paying my bill's. I may eat crow and ask the SS to call me again.

Reply by CarolynCO on 6/13/05 9:57am
Msg #44238

I was going to comment, but it's just not worth it.

Reply by John_NorCal on 6/13/05 10:03am
Msg #44239

Re: Argh! $50 for city 1 hour away! To:NotaryGirl_CA

How much did it actually cost you to make that $50.00. To my way of thinking, if you have to drive all over God's creation, at the cost of gas here in CA, spending time here and there what are you actually making??? $10.00 an hour if you're lucky? Better to stay with painting, at least you're not putting money in the oil companies pocket.
Look at your cost of doing business, your expected profit margin and what you expect to pay yourself today and later. THEN decide if $50.00 is worth it, if it is, then so be it.
P.S. Where in CA are you anyway?

Reply by NoataryGirl_CA on 6/13/05 1:52pm
Msg #44311

I am in the Sacramento area. They just paid me too, and it was right on time... uuuuggggggg... what to do... I am really bored, and want to work. My house can only get so clean. Any one interested in a painting.. LOL I do need to add when they signed me up and asked my price I said $50, but I meant that as my base price. When I explained that to the scheduler, and I asked for extra to run doc's around. They did not bite.... OOOOHHHH Well

Reply by CarolynCO on 6/13/05 2:19pm
Msg #44318

You can always quote high and then come down if you feel you will not be selling the farm and will still earn a profit. However, once you succumb to a $50 fee and agree to travel to timbucto (sp?) and back for $50.00, it's pretty difficult to get that particular SS to raise its rates.

I always said my parents words wouldn't come out of my mouth, but it's like "why buy the cow when you can get the milk free?"

They also used to say "don't put all your eggs in one basket."

THIS SS HAS BEEN MILKING YOU TO DEATH!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.