Notary Rotary
Closing vs signing agent
Notary Discussion History

Closing vs signing agent
Go Back to June, 2005 Index

Posted by MimiCA on 6/30/05 12:47pm
Msg #49069

Closing vs signing agent

I'm somewhat confused....many of you have mentioned that during a signing that you are "closing". We are not closing agents, but signing agents, right?

The reason I'm asking is that the HUD-1 -Cash Disbursement Agreement calls for the signature at the bottom for the "closing rep". I cannot guarantee these $ figures are correct, so I did not sign.

What are we? Signing agents and Closing Agents?
Feedback much appreciated !

Reply by Vicki/MD on 6/30/05 12:50pm
Msg #49070

You are a signing agent. don't ever sign anywhere it say's "closing agent" on those docs. Once in a while they want you to sign as "closing agent" or "certifying agent" on docs to verify the borrower's ID, or something saying that you delivered the copies of the RTC and TIL. In those cases, cross out "closing agent" and write "signing agent", and then sign your name.

Reply by Merry_CA on 6/30/05 12:51pm
Msg #49071

In CA we are notary signing agents. We are only witnessing the signing of docs and giving a brief description of each doc as we go through the loan package. You were correct to disregard to "closing rep." signature line.

Reply by Shannon/Va on 6/30/05 10:42pm
Msg #49219

If you didn't prepare that HUD, DON"T SIGN IT

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.