Notary Rotary
Deed of Trust, Virginia
Notary Discussion History

Deed of Trust, Virginia
Go Back to June, 2005 Index

Posted by Ronald Philbrick on 6/22/05 7:56am
Msg #46736

Deed of Trust, Virginia

I have a citibank deed of trust question. On page two there is are two places to notarize. I Notarized the first one but the second one says:
The person signing below certifies that this deed of trust was prepared on behalf of citibank, a party in the Deed of Trust.

______________________________ _______________________________________
(print name)

Commonwealth of VIRGINIA, county of CHESAPEAKE CITY ss:

The foregoing instrument was acknowledged befor me on this day 06/04/2005 By: _________

______________________________________________ (Person Acknowledging)

My Commission Expires __________________________--

Now the problem is that citibank has sent this back to me to Notarize. Who signs to certify this deed of trust and who is to notarize it? Seems to me someone at citibank should certify and someone in the presence of the signer should notarize. I call NNA and they confirmed I shold not Notarize!!!!!!!!!
HELP!

Reply by Notary'N VA on 6/22/05 11:36am
Msg #46811

You most definitely should not sign, if the person is not in front of you to prove who they are.
Alot of companies will try to get you to notarize items illegally, watch your back you could lose your commission.

Notary In VA

Reply by Amanda/VA on 6/22/05 12:00pm
Msg #46817

DOT

I know exactly what your talking about, just like the other notary said, this one isn't for you. Just the previous page/section

Reply by TAgey_VA on 6/23/05 1:32am
Msg #47041

Ronald - It sounds like you have someone leading you blindly. (They do not know what to do). Educate them on the VA law this way:

Let Citibank know that you are not going to notarize an acknowledgment with out the person in front of you - and since you are not legally allowed to notarize a blank certificate - you can not notarize the document. Encourage them to use their in-house notary or one that is close to their office.

If you should be threatened with a doc in your fee, remind them that you have performed the assignment to your legal limits and with utmost professionalism and you expect the full agreed upon fee.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.