Identity Protection Question
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2005 Index

Posted by MrsK_in_NJ on 6/7/05 7:53am
Msg #42891

Hello to all, I’m. New

I’m doing all of the things that a new person should do. I’m taking care of my NSA training, I’m taking my NNA certification, I’m reading every book I can find, I’m reading the boards (even though I’m not reading from day one, I do have a life), I’m looking at topic specific posts, I’ve printed out post 33325 and placed it on my night stand besides the Bible. And I’m signing up with the requisite “million” companies.

Therein lays the problem. Each one of these companies requests a great deal of personal information. Copies of your drivers license, copies of your social security card and the like. All of which is information in this day of identity theft and fraud should be guarded. I feel a little uncomfortable giving this information to companies where one is unsure of their record-keeping practices and privacy policies.

Is there any information that you refuse to give? How do you go about protecting yourself? Thank you in advance for your kind responses.

Reply by BrendaTX on 6/7/05 8:26am
Msg #42894

Here is PaulFL's DL.

http://tinyurl.com/cwhqy

Please take a look at the thread with message 41154 until you get another answer.

Smiley

Reply by MrsK_in_NJ on 6/7/05 9:14am
Msg #42900

Thanks Brenda. Read the post #41154. I love the Driver's License, I should have one like that for myself.

It's still hard though, becacuse you feel that if you don't give them what they want, they won't use you. But as suggested on the other post, I can provide the info. when necessary.

Reply by Kim_NJ on 6/7/05 8:26am
Msg #42895

let them know you are concerend with identity theft and will provide that info only after they provide you with work.

Reply by Philem_OH on 6/7/05 9:43am
Msg #42903

Good concerns. To combat those, I set up a TIN (Taxpayer ID Number) from the IRS, and supply that. If they ONLY want a SS number, I simply don't register with them. As for the DL, I will happily photocopy it, but black out the SS# and DL#. If they complain, then I ask them to kindly remove me from consideration, as I will not provide that information, for any reason.

Good luck, and welcome to the wonderful, wacky world of SAs!
-Jim

Reply by PAW_Fl on 6/7/05 9:57am
Msg #42909

TIN's - a definition

I assume you mean that you set up an EIN (Employer Identification Number) with the IRS. Your SSN and EIN are both considered TIN's, as are a few others.

From the IRS website (http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0,,id=96696,00.html):

Taxpayer Identification Numbers (TIN)

A Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) is an identification number used by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in the administration of tax laws. It is issued either by the Social Security Administration (SSA) or by the IRS. A Social Security number (SSN) is issued by the SSA whereas all other TINs are issued by the IRS.

Taxpayer Identification Numbers

* Social Security Number "SSN"
* Employer Identification Number "EIN"
* Individual Taxpayer Identification Number "ITIN"
* Taxpayer Identification Number for Pending U.S. Adoptions "ATIN"
* Preparer Taxpayer Identification Number "PTIN"

Note: The temporary IRS Numbers previously assigned are no longer valid.

-----------------------------------

As a business, you are entitled to have and use an EIN for tax payment purposes, and the hiring company, be it an SS, title company or lender, is obliged to accept it as your TIN.

Personally, I do not provide copies of my seal, SSN, Driver's License or auto insurance information. I do provide copies of my commission (certificate), EIN, and contact information. I have been advised by legal counsel that since we are not hired as couriers and am not required to transport the borrowers, DL/insurance information is not needed by the hiring company.

Reply by Philem_OH on 6/7/05 12:46pm
Msg #42957

Re: TIN's - a definition

Ya, Paul, that's actually what I meant! <laugh> Blame it on the roots, eh? :-)

-Jim

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.