Notary Rotary
Okay--Here it is-- my letter to Rescind--No pay companies
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 6/13/05 10:20am
Msg #44241

Thank you for contacting me to do business with your firm. I work as a Notary Signing Agent full time. As much as I would like to work for you, I will not do a signing for a company that will not pay me for my services if the loan rescinds. If you were a mechanic and spent two hours and paid for materials to fix someone's car, then the person was in an accident so he (or she) wouldn't pay for your services, would you expect not to be paid?

This business is no different. When I do a signing, I print the documents 80% of the time, buy gas for my car, travel to the signing (sometimes over and hour each way), and spend anywhere from 3/4 of an hour to two hours at the signing. Not to mention all of the other overhead charges associated with being in business. It is a slap in the face to offer $25 for a "trip charge" if a loan rescinds.

If you are willing me to pay for the services I provide, I would be more than happy to accommodate you.

Reply by Jenni on 6/13/05 10:25am
Msg #44242

I would reword your first paragraph.

Reply by KISS on 6/13/05 10:38am
Msg #44245

Keep It Simply Stupid! They don't want to know why! Ask them what there policy is for your concerns on payment....if they don't meet your needs.....politely decline the appointment!

Reply by Anonymous on 6/13/05 10:41am
Msg #44246

In the contract, the ss states their policy is to only pay a $25 travel fee if the loan rescinds.

Reply by LuLu on 6/13/05 11:00am
Msg #44247

I just declined a $175 signing ......

for that very reason. When the confirmation came to me and I saw they do not pay if the loan does not fund I called them and said that was not acceptable. I was informed that they pay a $25 trip fee if for some reason it did not fund. This particular signing was E-docs, 35 miles one-way and a Saturday appointment. I cannot afford to take a chance like that. At least it was disclosed on the confirmation. And I agree, it is insulting.

Reply by KISS on 6/13/05 11:52am
Msg #44259

Re: I just declined a $175 signing ......

I agree with all but the TC or SS just need to find notaries willing to take these appointments. They don't care why! It is our choice to decline the appt! I won't work for companies that have a track record of cancelling appts scheduled in advance right before they are suppose to close. I have my reasons but I just decline doing business with them! It's simple. These forums are good places to voice your frustrations and we have many a noptaries. But I think it is better to KISS....Decline....move on to the next closing!

Reply by Lee/AR on 6/13/05 12:54pm
Msg #44288

I understand your reasoning... but telling them WHY you're declining is the only way this trip fee nonsense is likely to change. They need to know it's unacceptable.

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 6/13/05 1:13pm
Msg #44296

Exactly. Maybe if enough notaries decline no pays on recind an let the ss know why, the ss will start listening (I know it may be wishful thinking). It's because there's always someone willing to do it is what is hurting all notaries in the long run.

Reply by janCA on 6/13/05 1:23pm
Msg #44298

And what do you tell the title company...

that has the same policy? Many title companies will not compensate you a travel fee, let alone the agreed upon fee for the signing, if the loan rescinds. And this is only found out when you haven't received payment for that signing within 45 days or so. I do many signings for title companies and many of them will not pay anything if the loan does not fund, period. You are told to invoice the borrower, which I will not do. It's just the chance you take and a part of this business.

Reply by missy_socal on 6/13/05 2:57pm
Msg #44338

Re: And what do you tell the title company...

JanCA states:
"It's just the chance you take and a part of this business."

I was thinking the exact same thing. It's just my opinion, of course, but what are the odds that the loan doesn't go through, and you'll make $0?
What do those odds of making nothing go up to when you decline the job? That's right...100%.

Again, just my opinion. Also, ignore any squirrely typing that I may do today. We just adopted a brand new baby kitten, and she's chasing my fingers across the keyboard.
I've had to restart a slew of emails already!

Reply by monica on 6/14/05 12:46am
Msg #44479

ss, title comanies need to charge lenders for any order if..

if documents were printed, even it it's just $50.00, $25 for the NSA and $25 for SS who spent much time making arrangments. If a Trip is made they need to pay the same fee or close to it no matter what. Period. It just has to be that way. Sub Contractors have to be paid for their services, including the Signing Services. We do allot of work as well and my staff does not knock off any of their hourly wages or benefits, workers comp or health insurance just because the deal feel through.
Let's just get real and make this a business and realise it cannot be a COMMISSION position on this end. They make much more money than we do in the end, we cannot continue to finance them.
Although I have done so lately, That is going to stop.
If they want to have the convinience of a professional team in the feild then they must step up to the plate and look at the bigger picture.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.