Notary Rotary
Please Need Help with First Refi!!!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2005 Index

Posted by la, CA on 6/2/05 12:36am
Msg #41719

Hi I just received my first loan signing which is a refi but I am nervous because the paperwork is somewhat different than the paperwork that was included in my training for a new purchase. I know these are very basic questions and will most likely get slammed but I really need help because I don't want to let the borrower down.

My refi packet does not inlude a HUD, and I was wondering if not all loans include this doc. The only thing that I can see that needs to be notarized is the Deed of Trust. That's the only doc that has the notarial wording. Is this the only document that I would have to notarize or do I have to add a lose acknowledgement? There's a Signature Statement that was inlcuded, but only the borrowers sign this doc and I thought this might be similar to an Identity Affidavit, which would be notarized. So I'm just confused because I'm not sure if there's other documents that need notarization such as the Signature Statement and a Borrowers Acknowledgment and Instructions document. If someone could please be so kind and just inform me of these two documents, I would really appreciate it. I mean is it normal for a refi to have the Deed of Trust be the only document which needs to be notarized?

Thanks.

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 6/2/05 1:08am
Msg #41722

Normal is all relative. All lenders are different. For example, Ameriquest has at least 5-10 notarizations and Countrywide is usually just the DOT, they use 'Certifications' for everything where just the borrowers sign.

If the notorial wording on the DOT is correct for your state and your stamp fits then you don't need a loose ack.

If there is no notorial wording on a doc then just have the borrowers sign. If something else is needed, the SS or TC will let you know. Read your instructions carefully.

You should have a HUD or a HUD Waiver. Sometimes this comes late so call and let the SS or TC know that you don't have it. They will advise.

Hope this helped. Good Luck!

Reply by SamIam_CA on 6/2/05 1:22am
Msg #41724

**My refi packet does not include a HUD, and I was wondering if not all loans include this doc** Look for a document that says Estimated Settlement Statement or they may have a HUD waiver.

**do I have to add a lose acknowledgment** Don't add any notary certificates. If somethings needs notarization there will be a notarial section. Remember that the DOT must have the correct wording for California - if it doesn't then you staple on your jurat or acknowledgment as determined by their wording. Remember sworn = jurat.

**is it normal for a refi to have the Deed of Trust be the only document which needs to be notarized?** I do HELOCs all the time where I only notarize an E&O compliance agreement and the DOT - so it is totally possible.

Did you get this assignment from a SS? Can you call them before you go to the borrowers. Just say, "I'm confirming that these docs did not have a HUD and the only form needing notarization is the DOT." That way you will CYA in case they messed up by sending an incomplete package.

Let us know how it goes - Good Luck!

Reply by CaliNotary on 6/2/05 9:45am
Msg #41765

It looks like your questions were answered adequately already in this thread, but I just wanted to say that this post is exactly the type of thing newbies should be posting in here. It's clear that you've already done your homework and made the effort to learn what you're doing BEFORE getting your first assignment, and that you're just looking for clarification on some finer points. Kudos to you, as you're definitely in the minority in this respect.

One thing that will save you a lot of headaches in the future is to just remember that you're not supposed to be a mindreader. The docs will be clear as to what needs to be notarized. If it doesn't ask for a notarization, don't worry about it. Sometimes you'll have one, sometimes you'll have 10.

Reply by la, CA on 6/2/05 10:36am
Msg #41783

Thanks so much to all of you who where there for me and responded. I was just feeling so nervous and I figured I was right, but I just wanted to be absolutely sure. When I get nervous I always second guess myself and I should learn to trust my instinct. I do appreciate all the responses. Thanks for being so kind to me! I know I will do good for the borrowers!

Reply by Ernest_CT on 6/2/05 10:40am
Msg #41785

Hear, Hear!

It was refreshing to see questions from a newbie that made perfect sense! The new NSA was (appropriately) concerned for the BORROWERS, not his/her own butt. No silly questions, just very sensible ones.

Well done! Keep up the great attitude and you'll do fine. Best of luck!

Reply by HisHughness on 6/2/05 11:24am
Msg #41807

Dear Ia, CA

Just where do you get off, posting a reasonable, well-considered question from a beginner in this forum? Do you realize you are ignoring a long and extensive history of inane, sophomoric and pointless questions by newcomers? Do you know that in posting such questions you are denying many on this forum the only real pleasure they have in their blighted, myopic lives -- slamming greenhorns? Do you realize that in denying oldtimers that, you have also curtailed the pleasure that many on this forum, who have been participants for all of two weeks, get in telling the Old Farts to "get a life," "why don't you just answer the question, and if you can't do that, ignore it," "you're a jerk," "you're an ass," "you're mean," or "you're a mean-assed jerk"?

Would you like to try again? How about, "What is the difference between FedEx and UPS"? Or, "Do I have to wear underwear to a closing"? Or "Legally, if the wife in West Virginia doesn't sign the deed, is she still the husband's sister?"

Please, get with the program.

Reply by Teasa/NY on 6/2/05 12:12pm
Msg #41816

I am crying laughing so I guess I need to get a life but

His Hughness who raised these newbies to have such a sense of entitlement, I am sorry to say, us.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.