Notary Rotary
Question re: calling borrowers
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2005 Index

Posted by SuzyQofAL on 6/3/05 5:48pm
Msg #42156

Help me out here!!! Have any of you worked with lenders, title cos., etc who DO NOT want you to call the borrowers to confirm a closing?

Reply by Marie_MN on 6/3/05 5:51pm
Msg #42157

Yes, I had 1 from a SS. I asked them if I would be paid if the borrowers were not there and they said yes. The borrowers were there when I showed up.

Reply by MaggieMae_CA on 6/3/05 5:51pm
Msg #42158

No, I haven't. Most companies want you to call the borrower ASAP to confirm.

Reply by Sara-NV on 6/3/05 5:52pm
Msg #42159

No, never. What's their reason? I would not want to feel that I couldn't confirm the appointment, make sure all parties were going to be present, inform b's to have photo identification present, verify location of their home, directions, etc.

Reply by SuzyQofAL on 6/3/05 5:54pm
Msg #42161

The company is Mortgage Investors in FL/Watermark Financial. I called the borrower to confirm for a 1pm closing tommorrow, and she said this is not a good time and hung up the phone! I called the signing service, which in turn told me to call the lender, and I got my but chewed out for calling! go figure (sorry guys I just gotta vent right now)

Reply by Cherilyn in CO on 6/3/05 5:52pm
Msg #42160

Yes!

and I won't do it again. I did one a few months ago for a SS and they specifically told me not to contact the borrowers. The appt. was firm.

I get there and the borrower's are slightly mad that they had to take time off work for the signing. I could have easily went after work.

I betcha it's the same company.

Reply by SuzyQofAL on 6/3/05 5:56pm
Msg #42162

Re: Yes!

Well, I told the guy I was not going until I could confirm and get directions as this is a rural area. I am about ready to tell them to get somebody else, I don't have to put up with that.

Reply by Jeanine Ruby on 6/3/05 6:15pm
Msg #42165

Re: Yes! - another situation

Hi, Has this happened to anyone: I was given a job by NREI (National Real Estate Information Services) in Pittsburg. I immediately phoned the borrower to confirm the appointment, as I always do. The b said he wasn't available on the date/time NREI had scheduled, as he was going to be out of town. I said ok, hung up and called NREI to tell the person who contacted me about this originally, that the borrower wasn't available on the date/time. The "schedule coordinator" told me I needed to call the borrower back and reschedule for another time. I told him that no, it's not my responsibility to do that as I am only available on certain days/times (evenings and weekends) and that he should contact the borrow to reschedule and if it's at a time I am available, I'll certainly do the signing. On the morning after the signing was supposed to take place, I received 3 voice messages: 1 from the borrower wanting to know why I had not shown up for the signing (he was the one who had told me he wouldn't be available!..go figure?) one from NREI and one from the lender - all wanting to know why I didn't show up for the sigining. Obviously the 'schedule coordinator' had not followed thru and relayed the message to the proper people that the borrower wasn't available on the date/time the appointment was originally scheduled. I have always shown up for appointments - I have never missed or cancelled an appointment and I've never had any problems with any of my signings for NREI or any other company. Now NREI has removed me from their database because they feel I did something wrong. I'm ok with not working with them again - I just wonder: Who's responsibility is it to reschedule when the borrower can't make the appointment and when I'm only available on certain dates and times? Am I supposed to do their job for them? I spent over 2 hours on this and I won't receive a dime in compensation and I've been given a bad name at NREI.

Has anyone else ever had this situation occur?

Has anyone else ever dealt with NREI? What has been your experiences?
Thank you,
Jeanine Ruby
Portland, Oregon

Reply by ShereeTX on 6/3/05 7:22pm
Msg #42174

Wow, Jeanine, what a rap. I have not worked for this company so have no insight there, and I have not had this happen before. Very strange. Do you s'pose the borrower was confused? You did the right thing as a change of signing date would have possibly changed the rates and $$! I might have asked the borrower to suggest a more convenient date and time but certainly would have contacted the company (as you did) to confirm and get corrected documents if needed. (I will only speak to the LO or my contact person [who has a stake in the deal] and not the "schedule coordinator," though.) And of course would not have committed to the new date/time without approval, but their reaction seems out of line. Did you get the name of the "scheduler?" (A note here - for myself as well - always take down names, times/dates of all business-related phone calls as a cya because the "I said - he said" stuff will almost always work in favor of the employee.) Personally, I would follow up a little more to get my name cleared. This was not a mistake on your part! What did the borrower say to you? Did you call the borrower back to ask why you were told he/she would not be there?? Very odd....

As far as the original question about not calling to confirm appointments - that doesn't make sense to me at all. Most WANT you to confirm - the sooner the better. That's suspicious in itself!

jmho - Sheree

Reply by paul2?fl on 6/3/05 7:37pm
Msg #42180

Reply by Paul2/FL on 6/3/05 7:37pm
Msg #42181

Reply by Paul2/FL on 6/3/05 7:46pm
Msg #42183

Sorry for the previous blips. I hit the enter key twice by mistake.
I had a situation recently where the doc specifically told me not to contact the borrower(s) until I got confirmation from the SS. I waited but no confirmation arrived so I moved on to another signing. Later I was asked why I didn't make the appointment and I told them that I never received confirmation. They then chewed me out for not informing them that I didn't receive the confirmation! Go figure. In hindsight, they are probably right that I should have called them to let them know I didn't receive it but I "assumed" the loan may have been canceled or postponed and moved on. Lesson learned.

Reply by Melody on 6/3/05 10:04pm
Msg #42216

You blew it.

You should have been more helpful. I would have been. This is a good company.

Reply by JanetK/CA on 6/3/05 11:43pm
Msg #42234

I agree. nm

Reply by CaliNotary on 6/4/05 12:42am
Msg #42245

Re: You blew it.

I wouldn't say she blew it. She called them and told them the borrower said he'd be out of town and it would have to be rescheduled. They said they'd take care of it. Short of using mindreading skills, how was she supposed to know that the appointment was kept the same after all?

Reply by Dave_CA on 6/4/05 9:22am
Msg #42276

While I don't necessarily think she blew it I do think she missed a great opportunity to provide better customer service and to ensure she got the signing. I would welcome the chance to reschedule an appointment to a time that was convenient for both parties and still acceptable to NREI.
Jeanine said "The "schedule coordinator" told me I needed to call the borrower back and reschedule for another time. I told him that no, it's not my responsibility to do that as I am only available on certain days/times (evenings and weekends) and that he should contact the borrow to reschedule and if it's at a time I am available, I'll certainly do the signing.
While I understand she is only signing evenings and weekends I still would have tried to reschedule with the borrower and only if we could not agree a time would I have given it back to the scheduler.
I realize this won't happen often as the schedule is generally driven by the lender.

Reply by CarolynCO on 6/5/05 2:54pm
Msg #42524

Re: Yes!

Cherilyn,
We've discussed the particular SS in question before. Initially, I was upset because I was not allowed to contact Borrowers and the fact that each notarized document had to be faxed, in addition to calling to advise that signing was complete. However, this SS has become one of my best. I've done several signings for them since, and I've never had a problem -- Borrowers were prepared the first signing and for each signing since. They had/have copies of drivers licenses and were/are aware of money to be handed to me. Borrowers have always known my name and the fact that I was coming at the particular time. After the initial signing, I'm not required to fax back any documents for approval. I'm always paid promptly.

Reply by Carol_KY on 6/3/05 10:16pm
Msg #42218

I had this one time. It was for a VA loan and it was at the request of the lender.

Reply by Cheryl_HI on 6/4/05 12:10am
Msg #42239

In addition to being a common courtesy, I can't tell you how many times they have given me a time for the appointment and by speaking with the borrower directly I learn that they had no input into the scheduled time and would really have it a different time.

Other than that, and in addition to confirming that the borrowers had I.D. that is acceptable (current, right type, etc.) I would want to confirm that the names on the I.D. would permit me to positively identify the borrowers as the named in the documents.

I suppose, if they are willing to pay me full fee whether or not I was able to notarize (because of insufficient I.D., or any other problem with the docs -- if the borrowers had the docs), then I would take it and see what happens. If the borrower slams the door in my face and I still get my fee, oh well.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.