Notary Rotary
Signing with a POA
Notary Discussion History

Signing with a POA
Go Back to June, 2005 Index

Posted by Marie_MN on 6/3/05 11:50am
Msg #42087

Signing with a POA

I have a signing today that involves the wife having POA for the husband. My question is, when I notarize the documents, how do you complete the notarial wording when the husband doesn't appear? For instance, on the Signature Name Affidavit, I was told she needed to sign for him, but how do I complete the Notarial wording? Also, does she need to put POA after all his initials? I know she needs to put it after the signature. Thanks for the help. My closing is in 2 hours.

Reply by SamIam_CA on 6/3/05 12:07pm
Msg #42089

try looking on
www.sos.state.mn.us for how to fill out the certificate - I have no idea about MN rules.

Let us know how it goes!

Reply by Paul_IL on 6/3/05 12:28pm
Msg #42095

Call the title company and ask how they want it signed.

Reply by A-1 Notary on 6/3/05 12:46pm
Msg #42097

Marie: you can call the National Notary Ass. they have a help desk to confirm the information I have written here for a fast resolve to your question. http://www.nationalnotary.org/ will get you to the website and the phone numbers.

Attorney in Fact or POA
write:
Mary A. Jones, attorney in fact for Paul J. Jones
or Paul J. Jones by Mary A. Jones as his attorney in fact.
either one is fine.

When you do initials:PJJ by MAJ (meaning Mary A Jones signing for Paul J Jones)

I print this on a paper before I go to the signing and say, when we have you sign for Paul, please sign this way. When it calls for an initial, please sign this way.
You will find you will not have to repeat and the docs will be accurate.

Hope this helps, I know the feeling of having a question and I'm about to tgo out the door.
Best,
Judy-Oregon

Reply by Marie Kyker on 6/3/05 4:22pm
Msg #42139

Thank You So Much for your help. Unfortunately, I got wrong information from someone at the title company and now I will need to make a second trip. I will take your reply along with me. Can it be signed as follows: Mary A. Jones POA for Paul J. Jones or do you have to use the words "attorney in fact for? NNA said it is up to the title company and unfortunately, when I called them back a second time, she wasn't quite sure either. Your reply back as soon as possible would be great, I need to go back tonight.

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 6/3/05 4:26pm
Msg #42142

I was taught to have them use "attorney in fact"... So that's what I do. The doc is a Power of Attorney, the one given that authority is the Attorney In Fact.

Reply by Marie_MN on 6/3/05 4:29pm
Msg #42147

Thank you for your help. I will do it the correct way.

Reply by Nancy in Florida on 6/3/05 8:59pm
Msg #42202

I am a former RE Paralegal and the wording must be "Attorney in Fact" not POA.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.