Notary Rotary
Title Closer/Agent at Closing
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2005 Index

Posted by CMS_NY on 6/6/05 9:54pm
Msg #42820

Has anyone ever had a Title Closer at a Loan Closing, while you were there too?

Reply by Joan-OH on 6/6/05 11:17pm
Msg #42841

I have a few times. I always ask how they want to handle the signing; do they want to do it and me just notarize or do they wish to observe and let me do what I do and just answer borrowers questions. They always opt to observe.

When all done, if I have an opportunity out of earshot of the borrower, I tell them I don't get the opportunity for someone in the business to observe and when I do, I always ask for feedback - what they think I should or should not be doing. I've never not gotten positive feedback but this statement tells them I respect their opinion and am willing to learn - and I truly am interested in their feedback.

See it as an opportunity to be your best and maybe win a steady client.

Joan-OH

Reply by CMS_NY on 6/6/05 11:41pm
Msg #42851

Well, we were both hired by an outside company (Escrow/Settlement Company).

I actually had to give the Title Closer documents that were sent to me along with the Loan Package.

He did his shpeal with the borrowers (took my information as well!) and left. Then I did my thing.

I just thought it was a little strange for the Title Closer to be there as well. Guess I'm just used to it being me and the borrower(s).

Reply by HisHughness on 6/6/05 11:50pm
Msg #42857

Gawd, I love this site!

Joan-OH notes that when a title company closer is on hand, she always asks him if he wants to handle it, and the TCC always says no. And then , Joan says:

***When all done, if I have an opportunity out of earshot of the borrower, I tell them I don't get the opportunity for someone in the business to observe and when I do, I always ask for feedback - what they think I should or should not be doing.***

I do basically the opposite, Joan, but not for long. I always figured the title company guys were there to see that things were done right, and to ensure that, they'd want to do the closing themselves. That, plus the fact that they can answer questions about the particular loan. I've tried to be professional in the aspects of the closing that I DID handle, but nonetheless yielded to the TCC's greater expertise. Had a Chase HELOC Friday, and did just that.

No more. You're right, Joan: It's an excellent opportunity to showcase MY expertise and fish for new business, and that's what I'll be doing in the future. Thanks.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.