Notary Rotary
What should I do...what would you do ?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2005 Index

Posted by PA Notary II on 6/2/05 6:44pm
Msg #41945

6-01...a TC called with an odd but not unusual request...said it was a refi but had to be a split signing....husb. was 65 mis. from me @ work for his side...wife was 35 mis. from there for her side...then 55 mis. back home. Said they would pay $100 more than my usual fee. Hadn't done a deal for this TC in over a yr. so I asked what they were offering. $300.00 says she...I say OK...long story short...e-docs...turns out to be 1st and 2nd....with copies = 354 pgs.

I say bill her an add'l $50 for the second....my partner (wife) says don't do it. I say she was less than honest with me when said it was "just" a refi. Don't want to come off as "piggish"
but just think I was taken advantage of...(did I just dangle a participle?) What say Ye ??

Oink Oink!

Reply by Markita-MI on 6/2/05 6:54pm
Msg #41947

354 pages ...wow including borrower's copies. It really is your call but for me I would bill the $50 and contact to let know why. I agree SS was less than honest with you. Stories like these make me feel good about the 20 questions I ask before I agree to accept a signing. If you don't ask up front how many pages, refi, first and second, miraculously, some of these SS forget to tell you the little things like 1st and 2nd....354 pages later.

Chalk it up to "the nature of the beast" and knowing how to deal with "the beast" the next time....

Markita-MI

Reply by ColleenCA on 6/2/05 7:03pm
Msg #41950

I would charge the additional fee. I have been lied to over this same issue and ended up turning them down because of it and asked to be removed from that SS's database. I explained to them that I could not trust them in the future and do not do business with companies that I can't trust. Of course, it's your call, but that is what I would do.

Reply by CarolynCO on 6/2/05 7:11pm
Msg #41952

Re: SS might not have known

It's possible the SS didn't know it was a 1st and 2nd because the TC didn't tell them. I've had instances where I was told it was just a 1st and when I get the docs from the TC, they are 1st and 2nd. I simply call the SS and they always pay additional.

Reply by PA Notary II on 6/2/05 7:20pm
Msg #41958

It wasn't an SS...it was a TC

Reply by Calnotary on 6/2/05 8:56pm
Msg #41982

I had one, that was 450 pages. First and a second. SS didnt tell me. I called and asked for a 50% more, they agreed. But It was a nightmare with the borrowers. MOre than three hours. And so much trouble with the borrowers.

Reply by Sunny/CA on 6/2/05 10:58pm
Msg #42015

Re: What would you have charged .....

If you had two signings, back to back that were doubles, plus edocs?

Reply by wayneca on 6/2/05 11:10pm
Msg #42017

Re: What would you have charged .....

If you could prioritize questions about a signing, what would be your top five to a SS or TC

Reply by Charm_AL on 6/3/05 8:06am
Msg #42054

Re: top 5 questions...

1. What's the zip code?
2. Is this going to be overnite or e-docs?
3. Is this a single or a piggyback?
4. Are there going to be fax backs after the signing?
5. What is the maximum you are willing to pay for this? (then I tell them my fee if theirs is low)
6. Can you send me an e-mail confirmation including the agreed upon fee?

Reply by Art_MD on 6/3/05 8:18am
Msg #42055

Re: top 5 questions...+3

7. Is this an ameriquest loan?
8. Since it's E-docs for today, what is the status of the docs - are they ready to download ?

Art

Reply by Lee/AR on 6/3/05 8:57am
Msg #42063

Re: top 5 questions...+3

And... what's your no-sign payment policy?

Reply by Kath_CA on 6/3/05 9:50am
Msg #42069

Re: top 5 questions...+ 1

How many signers? Had 4 at one app't and no one told me until I confirmed app't.

Reply by Teasa/NY on 6/3/05 5:07am
Msg #42038

I would call title company first as a courtesy, but the call would just be a courtesy to TELL them not ask them that you will be sending a revised invoice and why. You went way above and beyond.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.