Notary Rotary
"Ya gotta do the job before you can get the job!"
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2005 Index

Posted by MaggieMae_CA on 6/7/05 3:29pm
Msg #42991

Just an FYI for people to think about. When I read Sam's message (Msg #42858) it reminded me of what my dad would say.

Part of the reason why I love this job so much is because I get to set standards (for myself) and impress the pants off borrowers, SSs, TCs and lenders. I'm getting repeat business because of my efforts.

I guess I look at things a little differently like "packaging" loans differently from some, because it was part of what I was expected to do when I worked for attorneys in NJ. When I took the Loan Signing Agent class, the instructor casually mentioned that one of the services clients can be offered is "packaging".

When I actually started doing signings I thought to myself why would anyone pay me to "package" when they are accustomed to doing it themselves. I figured if they received the packages back in the order outlined on the closing instructions I'd make the post closing department Snoopy Dance with joy. After doing it a few times I could then tell them that it was a service I would provide for an additional fee. Three out of four companies I did this with decided to pay me the extra $25 to make their lives easier.

Reply by DA/Virginia on 6/7/05 3:45pm
Msg #42996

MaggieMae...I liked your message because it made me think about additional services that could be provided to SS, TC etc. Although I personally don't think I will be providing that particular "package" service to anyone (too time consuming for me right now), however it does make me think about what other services that may be beneficial to SS and TC's that I may be able to provide. Thanks for the input!

Reply by Nicole_NCali on 6/7/05 4:44pm
Msg #43008

As an extra, you could do the recordings at the county for out of town title companies. I do this for one title co and only in Alameda and Contra Costa County. The title company does appreciate this service and continue to call me direct for recordings and signings.

This means I see a bunch of DOT, grant deeds, quit claim deeds and all of the errors that can and do appear on the document.

Reply by Liz on 6/7/05 4:53pm
Msg #43010

Maggie Mae-wish there were more lik you!

I mean it. That saying has been around in my family also, and it is true. The title companies we work for have us doing crazy things....but we do them. Now, I get an average of one referral every few weeks for a new client, from an existing client. I may not make a ton of money on every signing, but in the long run, because we treat our clients right, we will be ok.

Reply by Becca/FL on 6/7/05 9:46pm
Msg #43042

I know I make my post-closers happy too. I've "done the job" and know just how tough it can be with 20 files that need to go out - not to mention the lender fax back requirements (Chase). I've never thought to charge for the service, though.

Reply by SamIam_CA on 6/7/05 10:16pm
Msg #43052

I'm with you and understand what you're saying. I had just never run across the situation before. I had no idea that someone was going to take the docs that I had so carefully kept in order only to completely rearrange them.

The 'packaging' info. was on a form titled "Return Document Checklist". It did not specify to whom the checklist belonged. Maybe when they get the docs back tomorrow they'll be really impressed and use me again!

So how did your signing turn out last night? Was everything copacetic?

Reply by Markita-MI on 6/8/05 7:40am
Msg #43111

Another great idea to increase cash flow in the business. Thanks a bunch for the suggestion.

Back to signing....

Markita-MI

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.