ok...who went to the convention?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2005 Index

Posted by Charm_AL on 6/6/05 7:52am
Msg #42586

Looking for a spokesperson....good or bad
Was it worth it? Did you learn anything new? Who has a brief synopsis?
Just checking to see if I should make plans for the next one Smiley

TIA

Reply by Anonymous on 6/6/05 8:14am
Msg #42592

Went.

Wouldn't go back.

It was a joke.

Learned Victoria Ring has something wrong with her...she is NOT intelligent and is NOT a good speaker. She gives false information.

Didn't get a chance to go to Bob/Chicago's session but heard it was the best thing there and that people actually learned things in that group. Sorry I issed it now.

14 vendors...are you kidding me? Won't get any business from that.

Was told by someone that the convention is really supposed to be a reason for a vacation...I'd spend my vacations somewhere else and with friends and family before considering this a vacation reason...let alone pay an extra $345 attendence fee for nothing.

Need I say more?

Reply by Roger_OH on 6/6/05 10:14am
Msg #42605

Have to agree that Victoria Ring provided her usual misleading, erroneous, or non-answers. I really wanted to get up and ask her why she continues to recruit members for 50StateNotary when it's up for sale?

Most of the other presentations were by outsiders and/or NNA staffers who weren't able to relate to the intricacies of managing one's own signing business, especially full-time. They would fare better by having experienced NSA speakers show how THEY market, write a business plan, and manage cash flow. Bob's panel was indeed the best of the lot, because they have all been in the trenches and could speak from experience. NNA also didn't print a directory of attendees (they claimed fear of identity theft!), so you couldn't ascertain who was there from your state to try and network with. There were a LOT of newbies, many who hadn't yet set a pen to their first signing. Their were nowhere near 14 exhibitors present. Educationally, it was pretty poor (aside from Bob). The networking (especially with Signing Registry members) and Vegas location were the only saving graces (good thing it was a tax writeoff trip). Sadly, NNA continues to demonstrate how out of touch they are with the average NSA. We'll see if they take the conference critiques seriously.

Reply by Gladys on 6/6/05 8:58am
Msg #42593

yes yes and absolutley

This was my 1st time going to the convention and I found it to be very informative and enlighting. I can't say anything bad about it and the networking was well worth it.The classes were great because it just reenforced my way of doing things. I made a lot of connections as well as new found friendships. They will be seeing me on the next one (God willing)

Gladys

Reply by Tess/ME on 6/6/05 9:22am
Msg #42596

Re: Thanks Charm, I was wondering

The same things that you were. I'd have liked to have gone, but health issues with my Mom kept me here.
Since they are in diff. parts of the country every year I might even find the next one to be closer to home and I'll be able to attend. If nothing else, just out of curiosity and a chance to put a face to the names we see on these message boards every day.

Reply by Joe/NC on 6/6/05 10:20am
Msg #42609

I went and mostly agree with the first post. Most of this was aimed at the newbies and didnt learn anything that I already didnt know. If there were any people from any of the message baoards I dont think i met tehm, for the most part everyone seemed to be on hteir own and in small groups, they eitrher knew each other or were from the same part of country. Some people were friendly and I met a few folks but for the most part everyone was aloof and didnt try to get to know one another.

It was a nice setting rooms were big and clean, food was good, weather warm but convention wise it was lacking vendors a few were there but I already belong to the ones that were there. The NNA was there mostly to peddle there wares and sell people into becoming signing agents.

I came home even because i won back most of what I lost that was my saving grace. If I go again I must take someone with me because eating out alone most of the time was not fun.

Next year they will go to new orleans, Im not sure if I will attend yet.

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 6/6/05 12:13pm
Msg #42655

This was my 4th conference I attended.
For my part it was extremely interesting.
A big focus was identity theft and fraudulent activities.
**Each year I learn something new.
Whoever commented on the sessions being mostly directed at "newbies" - I think you were in the wrong sessions; I did not find that to be the case.
I did hang out with "Chicago Bob" from this site. We had a great time.
Bob was part of a panel.."Face to Face - real Signing situations."
That guy is smart and came across really well.
Because I had attended prior conferences, I was able to meet up with friends from past conferences.
***Many people on this board are negative to the NNA, so why should they say anything good about them.

I found the conference a great opportunity.
I make use of all the resources that are offered to us, including the NNA.

Reply by BrendaTX on 6/6/05 10:25am
Msg #42613

Bob did well, I hear...

From one of my associates:

***Brenda, I think your friend Bob from Chicago was on the "FACE to FACE" panel...the ONLY meeting I really enjoyed. He was very interesting ...*

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 6/6/05 11:19am
Msg #42634

Re: Bob did well, I hear...

I still haven't joined the NNA and this information is why. It seems to me that the only good belonging to them would do is just to have something else writen on my resume. From everything that I have read it's a waist of money in membership fees. And I would have to say that 14 vendors at a National Convention is sad. I would have been interested in going had there been more education on business related issues.

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 6/6/05 12:31pm
Msg #42664

I'll have to agree that Bob from Chicago and the panel discussion was the best! The Immigration track was horrible and offered nothing of value, e-notarization and enjoa info might be interesting but it's not going to happen nationwide for some time. If you were a newbie, the SA track was probably helpful, but for those more experienced it was not worth the time. I was disappointed there weren't more vendors. CitiBank, for example, had a table with no one staffing it and just had handouts on the table on what they had to offer on getting a loan from them. I did find the information from the FBI on identity issues intresting (one of the General Sessions).

As for the accomodations... disappointed in Bally's. Rooms did not have refrigerators or a coffee pot (of course they want you to pass through the slot machine areas to get ANYTHING). The rooms needed upgrading - old furniture and carpet.

Next year is New Orleans - I'll pass. Would rather see a convention that offers more. A track on marketing skills would have been a good thing to offer, or speakers from Title/Escrow companies on what they expect from SA's.

I enjoyed networking with other experienced SA's.

Reply by Bob-Chicago on 6/6/05 1:48pm
Msg #42679

Thanks for your comments.

To all who heard me and found it, at least, somewhat valuable, thanks.
If you did, please let the NNA know, and, if so, that you would like to hear from me again at future conventions.
To those who did not, sorry, please let me know how I can do better if I am invited back.
I got to meet a few board members. I wish that more had come up and said hello.
My best moment was when a NSA who had heard me speak in Orlando in 2003 came up and told me that what I had said had changed his life. I hesitantly asked, "for the better, I hope?"
He said absolutely and that my advice had enabled him to become successful as an NSA.
That kind of thing makes it all worth it.
Steph, great seeing you again.
SR folks, so happy as to finally get to meet a few of you
As to VR , I indtroduced myself and had a very frank conversation.
More on this topic later.
I guess that I will have to drop the Brad Pitt lookalike bit, unless those that met or saw me can keep my secret safe.
The best part was comming home to see my beautiful, new grandaughter, Talia Leah, who was born just before I left for Vegas. For those who do not yet know, grandchildren are God's reward for not killing your kids.

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 6/6/05 1:50pm
Msg #42681

Re: Thanks for your comments.Congrats on the grandchild!

Reply by Stephanie_CA on 6/6/05 1:49pm
Msg #42680

Interesting input from Convention.....

Most of the Signing Agents I spoke with are very successful in their business of Loan Signing.

*** They are not concerned with competition as most Signing Agents on this board are....they used the resource to enhance their business - I heard no one complaining about oversaturation..I found this quite interesting that many in attendance at the conference were not complaining of most of the complaints on this board, rather they were there learning anything additional regarding the industry they are in & I might add that they are very successful conducting their businesses in areas that are OVERSATURATED.....it was quite refreshing that they have better things to be concerned with.

Just an observation.

Reply by CarolynCO on 6/6/05 2:47pm
Msg #42693

Re: Interesting input from Convention.....

In regards to being successful in their signing biz and oversaturation -- IMO, SAs that have been doing this for quite some time (getting into the biz when interest rates were low and refis were high) and not ones just finishing their one-day NNA seminar or their open book/online certification test, already have proven themseves and have already built a clientele of SSs and Title and Loan companies -- that is why they are successful. Additionally, many were notaries *before* there was ever such a thing as signing agents. Many of the more experienced SAs posting about oversaturation are not doing it so much because they are being threatened from new competition, but more to not allow new SAs, with stars in their eyes, to get their hopes up that they will be successful in this biz only to be let down when they see how fierce the competition, i.e., oversaturation.

Reply by ERNA_CA on 6/6/05 3:51pm
Msg #42710

Re: Interesting input from Convention.....

If every person going into business concentrated on the competition rather than on doing business and succeeding, no one would be in business. And if a person has been doing this a long time or not really has nothing to do with it. There are only a few that keep harping on over saturation, seem to be obsessed with it, same ones that are only too eager to bash rather than network,the less attention taken of those negative posters the better, concentrate on learning and doing business instead, dont let negativity get to you IGNORE IT and take care of business. Weather you make it in any business or not ( and there is plenty of competition in any business) soly depends on where you concentrate you energies. I agree with Stef. the successful ones are not walking around crying over over saturation.

Reply by ERNA_CA on 6/6/05 3:59pm
Msg #42712

Re: congrats Bob on grandbaby, my first expected next month.

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 6/6/05 4:01pm
Msg #42714

Re: congrats to you also Erna

You will learn that if you knew that they would be so much fun, you would have had them first,

Reply by ERNA_CA on 6/6/05 4:02pm
Msg #42715

Re: congrats to you also Erna, I cant wait Bob :)

Reply by Becca/FL on 6/6/05 7:22pm
Msg #42796

Well, I was very disappointed. Perhaps, I expected too much. I have been to my share of industry conferences and conventions and this one was unlike any other. I was embarrassed for the NNA due to the lack of Exhibitors. I was prepared with a large stack of business cards only to find 8-10 Exhibitor booths. Of course, the NNA had two large booths stocked with their offerings, but that was it! I couldn’t believe it!

I purchased a one day pass with the extra $25 pass for the kick off breakfast, only to find that people that had not paid for the breakfast were attending and eating. There were no seating arrangements for the kick off, which I found odd. In the past, when attending functions such as this, the event planners had table assignments by State or region. It sure would have made it easier to find the people you wanted to meet and talk with.

I’m glad that I did get to spend two days with Grandma & Grandpa and will be able to write-off the vacation.

I will NOT be attending next year.

Reply by Charm_AL on 6/7/05 11:50am
Msg #42935

thanks all who replied...I'm glad I saved $1,500. by not going. I wonder why there weren't more SS's and TC's there to promote their business. How does V.R. get away with giving out the information that she does when it's apparent to me that everyone says she is misinformed or incorrect?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.