Notary Rotary
Seal for SS
Notary Discussion History

Seal for SS
Go Back to April, 2006 Index

Posted by Sarah/CA on 4/16/06 10:40pm
Msg #113921

Seal for SS

I was signing up with some ss and one of them wants to see my stamp. Is it ok to give them a copy of my stamp or should I void it out or should I not give it to them at all?

Reply by Signing_Doc on 4/16/06 11:13pm
Msg #113926

if you look at some past postings, the general consensus is that it is not ok to give it to them either crossed out or not. I had the same situation today. I signed up with a few new agencies. They wanted a whole gaggle of stuff, including a copy of my certificate from the state. I had no problem with this. It clearly shows I'm a notary for the state, it has my start date, expiration date and my certification number. THAT, I have no problem sending. HOWEVER, I do believe that it is against the law for us to place our seal on anything which, one we are not notarizing, and two (and probably more importantly) we are not allow to notarize for ourselves or immediate family. Therefore, since I have an interest in placing my seal on this requested piece of paper, IMHO it is not allowed. Some companies also wanted a copy of my driver's license. I also refused this and stated that due to identity theft being so rampant, I will not fax them a copy of my license. I hope this helps. Happy Easter, or if you are mischpocha, Happy Pesach! "Doc" Stuart aka Shmuli

Reply by Pamela on 4/16/06 11:21pm
Msg #113928

Sarah: Re: Seal for SS

Sarah, Good Evening!

Please read your 'California Notary 2006 Handbook', (You can download it via the Secretary of State's website)! The seal can only be used in the offical act of notarization!

Because signing services are nationwide, and notarial laws vary from state to state, this seal requirement is just the standard request, on some of the application forms.

However, just submit a copy of your commission.

Be sure to follow-up with a telephone call to ensure that your application is received and is complete.

I've signed-up with many companies, and have never had a problem (thus far) by not having submitted an impression of my seal!

Take Care and Happy Easter!

Pam

Reply by Sarah/CA on 4/16/06 11:39pm
Msg #113930

Re: Sarah: Re: Seal for SS

Thank you. I really did not think it was necessary. Have a good evening.

Reply by Pamela on 4/17/06 12:49am
Msg #113940

Sarah!

You are Very Welcomed!

Pam

Reply by KBLedgard_CA on 4/16/06 11:40pm
Msg #113931

Hi Sarah,

Here is direct from CA SOS handbook:

"A NOTARY PUBLIC SHALL NOT USE THE OFFICIAL SEAL OR THE TITLE NOTARY PUBLIC FOR ANY PURPOSE OTHER THAN THE RENDERING OF NOTARIALSERVICE. (Government Code section 8207)"

As for the suggestion about not being allowed to notarize for family, from the handboook, CA law states "A notary public is not prohibited from notarizing for relatives or others, unless doing so would provide a direct financial or beneficial interest to the notary public. With California’s community property law, care should be exercised if notarizing for a spouse or a domestic partner.
A notary public would have a direct financial or beneficial interest to a transaction in the
following situations: (Government Code section 8224)
• If a notary public is named, individually, as a principal to a financial transaction.
• If a notary public is named, individually, as any of the following to a real property
transaction: beneficiary, grantor, grantee, mortgagor, mortgagee, trustor, trustee, vendor,
vendee, lessor, or lessee.
A notary public does not have a direct financial or beneficial interest in a transaction if a notary is acting in the capacity of an agent, employee, insurer, attorney, escrow, or lender for a person having a direct financial or beneficial interest in the transaction. If in doubt as to whether or not to notarize, it is recommended that you seek the advice of an attorney."

That being said, it is best to refer your family to another notary. I have a few people here in San Diego who I use when my family wants something notarized. I hope this helps.

Reply by Sarah/CA on 4/17/06 1:35am
Msg #113942

Hi Kyle. That is what I thought. Just wanted reassurance. I thought that it was only suppose to be used for notarizing something. I am always amazed at the IDs that the ss want for signing up with their companies. This company actually had one sheet that had three rectangles on it- one to put your drivers license, one for social security card and one for your seal/stamp. I have learned here that as independent contractors we do not need to give them the DL or the SS cards. Just wasn't sure about the stamp. I did remember being able to notarize for family except when there is direct financial or beneficial interest. Remembered that part from my original class and test. Thanks for the info.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.