Notary Rotary
Called the NNA today
Notary Discussion History

Called the NNA today
Go Back to July, 2006 Index

Posted by JO_PA on 7/27/06 1:55pm
Msg #135570

Called the NNA today

Called the NNA today to ask them to stop sending me bills for renewal. I keep getting them every couple of days.
While I had them on the phone, I gave them a piece of my mind about all the notaries they are "pushing" out. The girl on the phone told me that being a notary was a very popular field. I told her this was probably because of their marketing practices and promises of making $100,000 plus a year. I told her to do the math. I also said that they are putting full time, experienced notaries out of business. I also said several more things, but she had no come-back for anything. I finished by saying the NNA is just in this to make a profit and that they don't care about the established notaries, and that their organization has done serious damage to my career.
The reason I'm very angry with the NNA right now is that I've been undercut in pricing 11 times this week. My prices vary according to what each closing entails and the travel distance involved. I managed to get two of the callers that said they found cheaper notaries to tell me what the agreed on price was: $35 for closing and $15 for e-docs on one (travel of 15 miles one way) and $30 for closing and $20 for e-docs (travel of 25 miles) for the other. ARE THEY NUTS???? I told both companies I would be happy to go out and correct their mistakes for my fee. This month alone, I've had to redo four closings because of notary errors.
Why don't title services and SS get it, you get what you pay for. I earned my prices through lots of hard work and lots of experience. Let's see how those cheap notaries feel about their cheap prices after they've done over 1000 closings like me.
I'm mentoring a newbie (don't consider her competition because she doesn't have many hours a week for closings). I was very pleased to see that she managed to get a decent price for her first closing.

Reply by MaryP/PA on 7/27/06 2:07pm
Msg #135574

I'm glad to see you stood up to them. I am too discusted when I get calls for $50 signings. What area of PA are you in?

Reply by JO_PA on 7/27/06 10:07pm
Msg #135651

Re: South central PA, Hershey area - n/m

Reply by NCLisa on 7/27/06 9:35pm
Msg #135649

Lowball notaries in my area

Good for you. I'm starting to see who some of the lowball notaries are in NC. I do title abstracting also and recordings for many companies that offer lowball NSA fees. They pay much better for title abstracting. I record many DT's for these companies every month, and I also look to see who the notary is. These are companies that pay $45 to $50 for a closing. I'm tempted to call them and ask them if they are making any money doing these closings. I'm sure they have full time day jobs and use the company paper, toner, etc. and only need to worry about gas.

Reply by Barbara O on 10/27/06 9:33pm
Msg #155647

Re: Lowball notaries in my area

Lisa, what exactly do you do when you ?record? for companies? Where would I go to get training for recording and title abstracting? I'm trying to find some information about recording to expand my business.

I too have neen lowballed by a lot of new notaries in my area, and now these companies are calling me to go out and fix their screw-ups. It infuriates me to no end when they call me to do a signing, but then when I tell them what my fee is...and we're talking a travel time of 1-2 hours in many instances, and they tell me they'll have to get it approved first...then they don't call back until they need me to go fix the mess the inexperienced notary they got on the cheap made. I'm so tempted to call them when I receive the docs and realize it's the same assignment they turned my fee down to previously, and tell them because this is a rebound job, and I was initially called and turned down, that my fee for fixes includes an additional fee. If I thought it would get them to rethink their position next time I'd do it, but something tells me it wouldn't do diddly-squawk! I've spent more money on educating myself, insurance, and supplies to accommodate these companies and ensure I can produce top quality, professional work for them, just like most of you have too.

Reply by Barbara O on 10/27/06 9:54pm
Msg #155650

I'm getting tired of getting their "reminder" bills for renewal too. I didn't realize they were sending them out to everyone. Did it help to call them?

I too have been undercut so many times lately too. Some of these companies are making a killing for these closings and we're the ones out there with the experience, giving them a good rep with our professionalism and expertise, doing the work...getting them shipped on time, etc...yet they have the nerve to undercut us first, then come crying for us to fix the mess their "cheap" inexperienced notaries make. I know they have to gain experience too, but most of us paid a dear price for our knowledge and have built a business around that and the experience our training has given us. Don't they see the mess they're creating in the future for this field? These documents are so critically information sensitive, yet they don't check the notary's credentials before they assign a lot of these closings. Even the companies that do require an application...I swear they don't check the info you give them. They're playing with fire if you ask me!

I used to be proud to belong to the NNA, but I'm seriously considering not renewing with them when my membership comes due. They used to be the top in their field and it was considered an honor to be a member of their society. Their ethical standards just aren't what they used to be.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.