Notary Rotary
Florida Notary/California property question
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2006 Index

Posted by Kirod9jx on 7/11/06 2:45pm
Msg #132388

I am doing a closing tonight for a property in California. The borrowere is married, but it doesn't look like spouse has to sign anything. In Florida they do so I just want to verify this is correct for California?
Thanks

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/11/06 3:12pm
Msg #132402

Not your decision to make - even in Florida. That, according to the UPL counsel to the Florida Bar would be UPL.
You can check with the title company to make sure the spouse has to sign any of the docs, but other than that there is nothing you can do.

When I get a loan package and the spouse is not listed on the docs, I call the title company and ask them. Some title companies will want just the RTC and TIL signed, others want others signed as well. If I can't get a hold of the title company I ony have the docs signed as printed.
There are some instances, even in Florida, where the spouse is not required to sign.

Reply by cntrlcalntry on 7/11/06 3:29pm
Msg #132411

Sylvia is right. Even though CA. is a community property state I do some where the NBS signs
some docs and some where they sign nothing at all.

Reply by Kirod9jx on 7/11/06 3:31pm
Msg #132413

Thank you Sylvia. I printed the docs, contacted the borrower and was told they were supposed to send her the docs as she has a notary to use! Interested to see how this works out!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.