Notary Rotary
Heres an easy one for you....probably a little too easy
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2006 Index

Posted by Marshall on 7/17/06 10:38am
Msg #133597

Good Morning everyone! I don't notarize much so this will be an easy one for you. First off, I would just like to say that I am a California notary (not Alaska). I've tried to change it but nothing works. Anyway, I have a gentlemen that came to me with a letter from the California state controller in regards to some unclaimed property value that he is entitled to. There is a spot on the letter for me to notarize but it has the old jurat wording. I do have the jurat stamp that has the new wording but there is not enough room on the letter for that and my notary stamp. So I went on the ca gov notary website and printed out the pdf jurat form. I was going to fill that out and staple it to the letter. I was going to cross out the old jurat wording on the letter as well. Now here's my question, should I cross it out and write "see attached" with my initials or should I just cross it out and date/initial it....should I be crossing out anything?? I'm just a little nervous because it's going back to the state and I don't want to be crossing out anything I shouldn't.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 7/17/06 10:50am
Msg #133598

This one's for CA notaries n/m

Reply by Dave_CA on 7/17/06 11:04am
Msg #133600

I cross out and initial.

Reply by ewing2surf on 7/17/06 11:11am
Msg #133601

Your client has over $1,000 in unclaimed property. I have notarized about a dozen of these. You can print the missing verbiage "personally known or proved to me on the basis of satisfactory evidence to be the person who appeared before me". Or
attach a "loose" Jurat. Draw a line through the non-compliant one and write see attached Jurat and initial the change.

Reply by Marshall on 7/17/06 11:18am
Msg #133603

I'm going to go ahead and just attach the loose jurat certificate to the letter and cross out the old wording. Thank you all for your help!

Reply by Blueink_CA on 7/17/06 11:16am
Msg #133602

And don't be nervous because it's going back

to the state. Remember, they're the one's who sent it out with incorrect wording in the first place. Go figure.

Reply by Marshall on 7/17/06 11:19am
Msg #133604

Re: And don't be nervous because it's going back

HA HA....Your right!

Reply by Marshall on 7/17/06 11:20am
Msg #133605

Re: And don't be nervous because it's going back

The pdf forms on the ca gov website are ok to use right?

Reply by Marshall on 7/17/06 11:32am
Msg #133606

The pdf forms on the ca gov website are ok to use right? n/m

Reply by Brad_CA on 7/17/06 12:51pm
Msg #133620

Re: The pdf forms on the ca gov website are ok to use right?

Yes, these are the correct forms to use for the State Of California.

I cross out the improper verbage initial, date and write "Not California Compliant. See attached." Then I attach the loose certificate.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.