Notary Rotary
ID'ing improperly
Notary Discussion History

ID'ing improperly
Go Back to July, 2006 Index

Posted by cyndi_ca on 7/11/06 10:31am
Msg #132319

ID'ing improperly

I am constantly amazed whenever I go to a closing and I hear, "I've never had a problem before". BO has been married 10 yrs. Never changed her last name. Kept maiden name and yet all loan biz she has done has her maiden then married name, with no documentation to back that up. Why oh why would any notary ID this person with a married name that is not on any documentation. Then I look like the bad guy when I tell her I can't notariez her sig. SS then dislikes me because I want to go by-the-book and not lose my commission.

I am surprised at the sheer numbers of notaries who would ID this person, who would backdate and all in all do things you are not supposed to.

So newbies, if you will, in CA a DL and or passport must be used to ID someone. No marriage license, SS card or even credit card. Do ya get "it".

Reply by John_NorCal on 7/11/06 10:40am
Msg #132322

***I am surprised at the sheer numbers of notaries who would ID this person, who would backdate and all in all do things you are not supposed to.
So newbies, if you will, in CA a DL and or passport must be used to ID someone. No marriage license, SS card or even credit card. Do ya get "it".*****

I think it all goes back to the NNA pitches for untold riches to be made as a signing agent. People don't comprehend that we are first a notary public anything after that is just consequential.

Reply by DellaCa on 7/11/06 11:30am
Msg #132344

Last month I had a ss tell me to use his birth cert. with a name issue on he D.L.or his s.s. They could not understand the issue with that. Even after explaining it to them.

Reply by cyndi_ca on 7/11/06 11:31am
Msg #132346

The ss's for the most part don't care. They just look at bottom line for them, no sign, no deal.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/11/06 11:33am
Msg #132347

A couple of years ago a couple came to the house to get their signatures notarized on a document. The wife's drivers license had expired the year before and she had no other ID.
I explained that I needed a current ID before I could notarize. She was upset and then said she had just been to Walmart and they wouldn't let her write a check for the same reason and she didn't understand it as the picture on the drivers license was obviously her.
What made her think I would accept an expired ID when Walmart wouldn't!!!
I suggested she either renew her drivers license or find a notary that knew her personally.
They came back the following day with a renewed license!

Reply by Brenda/CA on 7/11/06 11:49am
Msg #132357

I had a signing a few months ago (that I did not sign because of improper ID). The Driver's License was expired, and the man presented a master card (he said the LO told him he could use his Visa) but he only had mastercard. He did not have a passport!! The LO said Visa and did not elaborate, so the man presumed he meant a credit card.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.