Notary Rotary
I would like your opinions/advice
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2006 Index

Posted by LilyMD on 7/5/06 12:06pm
Msg #130878

I have a company that I work with, more out of loyalty than volume. This was one of the first companies to use me when I first began. Matter of fact it's one of only 3 SS that I'll still do business with. In all of the time I've worked with them, I've never had a payment issue. Matter of fact, it was like "money in the bank." Well, I'm now holding past due invoices to the tune of $525. $300 is more than 65 days past the appt. date. and the remainder is for June invoices. What concerns me is, I've sent second invoices and also given calls, and second notices, etc. and still the mailman doesn't arrive with the check. I know that the company has moved and did have a computer issue, but that was over a month ago. Am I being too nice? Am I just allowing this because of past history? Part of me wants to call and sternly suggest payment be made and another part of me wants to hold off a little longer. As I've said, payment was never an issue with this company. Do I get demanding? Should I continue to be nice? ARRGGhh.

Reply by Signing_Doc on 7/5/06 12:13pm
Msg #130880

IMHO...you need to 'kick it up a notch'....business is business. While I understand your loyalty to them since they 'took a chance' on you when you were new...that was then, this is now.

65 days past due is NEVER reasonable. When you send second invoices, etc what is their response? Does it sound like, to you, that they are 'blowing you off' or are GENUINELY trying to make their pmt to you? Would you be willing to set up a repayment plan with them? (maybe say, if they can't pay the entire 525, you will accept 200 now, and the rest within 30-60 days?...just an idea...but this is YOUR business). And remember, it is a BUSINESS. This isn't your friend and neighbor "Mr. Wilson down the road" who used to babysit you. These are faceless (in most cases), unknown people whom you have formed a BUSINESS friendship with over the past. Get them the benefit of the doubt, be easy on them if you want to, again it's YOUR business. HOWEVER, things like this get around and other companies MAY try to pull the same thing on you. Just my opinion, but it's time to get serious. "Doc"

Reply by MichiganAl on 7/5/06 12:34pm
Msg #130883

Good payement history, they just moved, and they've had known computer issues. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Reply by hcampersFL on 7/5/06 12:40pm
Msg #130884

I would also give the benefit of the doubt. I think I would at least call in a friendly way and inquire as to what the hold up is. If you have a history with them I would think that they could answer you questions without animosity.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 7/5/06 12:52pm
Msg #130894

One thing I learned in years in the business world and that I have carried over to this business is that you need to be fair and consistent in your collection efforts. You need to treat everyone the same. Develop a collection plan and stick to it with everyone (ie 30 days to pay, 45 days friendly reminder letter, 60 days demand for payment with late fee added with registered mail, etc.) After 90 days, I am using other collection efforts, and if you can show that you are the same with everyone, then it is a smoother collection effort, especially in small claims court if that is an option open to you.

Unfortunately it is becomming a tough market with compaines that use to be very good having some cash flow problems. I still have a few great signing services I still work for including one that sent me my first signing. My loyality only goes to priority of the signing. If they have payment problems, then I begin my collection efforts.

Good Luck

Reply by LilyMD on 7/5/06 2:35pm
Msg #130904

Re: I called again...

and decided to just make it a friendly reminder call. I've never had to do this with this company. I also faxed another invoice reflecting the overdue amount, again. She assured me it was an oversight, begged my forgiveness and promised to mail the overdue amount first thing in the morning. I'll see what happens. I don't want to be a *^%$# about this but I'm hesitant to accept another appt. until I receive payment. So I think I'll be "booked up" for the time being.

Reply by SanDiegoCA on 7/5/06 4:40pm
Msg #130921

Re: I called again...

In my experience you ended up doing the right thing here.

Finding out what the possible problem in payments overdue may end up being a big help to your client IF you make it a nice reminder and question.

If you call them with an attitude and curse them they'll remember whether it was their fault or not, and you would end up getting all the repercussions. Of course, that's pretty general, but you have the correct attitude IMHO!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.