Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
More newbie tips (suggested by the briefcase contents Post)
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2006 Index

Posted by Ernest__CT on 7/17/06 11:20pm
Msg #133757

Gathered from the great advice here and experience over the course of the hundreds of signings I've done, here's some tips:

When you receive (or print) the docs, put the borrower's copy in a legal-size envelope. Put the lender's copy in a legal-size manilla file folder. I put a sticker on the envelope which says "Documents for [borrower's name]", the date of the signing, my name and contact information. (Such a label should never be considered as a place for soliciting business of any kind!) The borrowers appreciate having their copy of the docs neatly held and easily identified. Having the date on the label is important; there are times when the first signing is adjourned and docs have to be redrawn. (Be sure that the lender allows the borrower to keep the docs before leaving the signing table!) Using a file folder for the lender's copy makes it easy to tell the copies apart. Keep the return shipping label in the file folder also.

Keeping the confirmation, travel directions, et cetera, for each signing in a file folder seems to make life easier. I label the folder with the borrower's last name(s) and file the folders alphabetically. There have been several times when I've had additional signings for the same borrower, in some cases the borrower has requested me specifically. (That's the highest honor I can think of!) Having the contact info, printed travel directions with my own notes, and so on easily available has made the subsequent trips easier. It goes nearly unsaid that the files MUST be kept in a secure location.

Using an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of signings by appointment date, borrower, hiring company, payment date, et cetera, makes it easy to tell which companies pay on time and which are invoices are overdue. It also makes keeping track of mileage and other expenses easy.

Following His Hughness's advice and making my own booking sheet has paid off. It reminds me to ask whether there are faxbacks, if the return package has to be split, and who the lender is. There are some lenders who tend to have larger-than-usual packages, very late edocs, and other ... umm ... challenges. My sheet says "Add $XX.00 for xyz company".

When calling the borrower to confirm the appointment, if the documents are to be sent electronically be sure to tell the borrower! ("I understand that we have an appointment for tomorrow at 7 PM. [Wait for their confirmation.] If the documents are late arriving I'll call you and let you know that we will be delayed."Wink Late edocs are a fact of life. Prepare the borrower so that you don't look like the sloppy, late notary who does not keep appointments. Just DO NOT blame the lender!

If your state (or the lender) requires a witness in addition to the notary, most of the time the borrower will not have been told. I say "Connecticut law requires two witnesses. I can be one of the two, but not both. I need to be sure you've arranged to have a witness present." Be prepared for the "Can my spouse be the witness?", "I don't want my neighbors to know my business!", "I can't find anybody. My neighbors all work at that time of day.", and "Isn't it your responsibility to bring a witness?". Be nice, but firm. Know how you are going to respond before the question gets asked.

Likewise, be sure to tell the borrower your state's (or lender's) ID requirements. CT, for example, specifically forbids the use of a Social Security Card as ID. At the signing table is not the time and place to tell that to the borrower.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.