Notary Rotary
New Printer
Notary Discussion History

New Printer
Go Back to July, 2006 Index

Posted by Mike Photon on 7/6/06 4:23am
Msg #131036

New Printer

Bought a new printer Brother HL-5050LT today, set up and installed software.
I have loaded tray 1 with letter paper and tray 2 with legal.
If I print a doc that is in letter size or legal size it automatically picks paper from the correct tray.
My question is, is it possible to print a doc that has both size pages and have the printer select the paper source correctly for each page? Let's say this doc has page1 in letter size page2 in legal and page3 in letter (all in one doc).
Currently my printer picks the size of the first page and prints all pages in that size paper. I am wondering if there is some setup I need to do to grab the papers correctly or am I expecting too much from my little brother(printer, that is)

Reply by Julie/MI on 7/6/06 6:28am
Msg #131037

I previously owned an hp4050 and had the same configuration as you have for your Brother. It DID automatically print letter on letter and legal on legal in a mixed package. In fact, my best client's loans are both letter and legal, although they don't care if they are printed on all legal.

Last week my Dell 5200 arrived, again legal in the main tray and letter in the secondary tray and just like the HP it prints, automatically selecting the right paper size in a mixed package. Maybe you will just have to wait until you receive a set or someone more knowledgeable. Smile

Reply by BetsyMI on 7/6/06 7:21am
Msg #131047

My Brother HL5150DLT knows to print legal or letter, all from same .pdf package. But I have legal paper in tray 1 and letter paper in tray 2.

In a program such as Word, when I check File, then Print, then Properties, I have chosen under Paper Source...First Page "Auto Select" then Other Pages "Same as First Page".

When you go to print a document package, make sure "Choose Paper Source by PDF page size" is checked.

Reply by PAW on 7/6/06 7:15am
Msg #131045

Not only possible, but should work that way.

If you want to test it out, go to my website and click on the "Download" menu. At the bottom of the list is a file called "testfeed.pdf". Download that file to your computer and open it with Adobe Reader. Then print it to your printer. If you select "Choose Paper Source by PDF page size", it should select the proper page sizes. (1st and 3rd pages are legal size, 2nd page is letter size.)

Reply by Mike Photon on 7/6/06 10:05am
Msg #131082

Re: Not only possible, but should work that way.

Thanks PAW. I tried printing the testfeed.pdf It printed all three pages in Legal size (from tray 2)
In the paper source setting I have set up Tray 1 as Letter and Tray 2 as Legal and Default source as 'Auto Select'
Also in Printing Defaults, under Paper Source, I have First Page as 'Auto Select' and Other Pages as 'Same as First Page'.
Any clue on what is missing?

Reply by PAW on 7/6/06 1:32pm
Msg #131142

Try different settings.

You say you have "First Page as Auto Select" and "Other Pages as Same as First Page". That means that the first page (being legal) selects the legal size and all the following pages will be the same. Change the setting for the "Other Pages" to Auto Select and try it.

As a similar note, on HP products, some work with "Auto Select", but others need to be set to "Printer Select". And yet others, like the 1300 with a second tray, has to be 'fooled' with by selecting "Auto Select", then print, then select "Printer Select" and print again, then reselect "Auto Select". That seems to get things to work.

Reply by Mike Photon on 7/6/06 2:16pm
Msg #131162

Thanks for the quick response Paul. The trouble is, 'Auto Select' option is available only for First Page. For Other pages the options are 'Same as First Page' and a set of standard sizes.
Initially that's what I thought I was doing wrong.
But from Betsy's response above, I thought my setup was correct.

Reply by PAW on 7/6/06 2:39pm
Msg #131176

Well, I guess that Brother means that the "Other Pages" uses the same options as the First Page, in which case it would be Auto Select. In reading the User's Guide, it appears that there are two auto select options: "Automatically Select" and "Auto Select". I don't know what the difference would be, but you may try to switch the setting and see what happens.

Of course, there's always Brother Technical Support. Smile

Reply by Wendy Pablico on 7/6/06 9:56am
Msg #131078

Re: New Printer "duplex Ready"?

If your manual states it can duplex it will print both sides.

Reply by Mike Photon on 7/6/06 10:07am
Msg #131084

Re: New Printer "duplex Ready"?

I'm not sure if my printer can print duplex, but do any of you print loan docs in Duplex?

Reply by BrendaTx on 7/6/06 10:31am
Msg #131092

Re: New Printer "duplex Ready"? Mike -

I would not try to print a three page essay in duplex! In my experience two sided packages only come overnight. It would be a disaster to do it via edocs.

Brenda

Reply by PAW on 7/6/06 1:36pm
Msg #131143

Re: New Printer "duplex Ready"? Mike -

Why would duplexed documents via edocs be a disaster? Morgan Stanley docs are duplex and edocs. But, the file must be properly created to ensure that backsides are not just the "next page", but left blank if necessary.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.