Notary Rotary
OT - Taking a child out of country
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2006 Index

Posted by NCLisa on 7/13/06 2:03pm
Msg #133018

I know there was a law passed that said you needed to have a notarized document to take from the "other" parent to take a child out of the country. What happens if the child doesn't have another parent? Are you expected to carry around a death cert or birth cert to prove it?

Reply by DonnaV_CA on 7/13/06 2:31pm
Msg #133022

I don't know about the law right now (I'd like to read it if it exists), but in the past, sometimes a notarized document from the other parent, or from both parents/guardians if the child is leaving with relatives or teachers, has been requested -- by the airline. I am in the same situation and was stopped in San Diego a few years ago on a trip to Mexico, by the airline at check-in. They required a notarized affidavit from me saying that I was the mother of my child and that I had sole custody of her. No other certificates were required although I did have a copy of her birth certificate with me as we were going just to Mexico. It cost me $60 at the airport for the pleasure because they had to call a mobile notary. I also have since done plenty of these affidavits for a school that takes students on trips abroad and requires the parents to give permission for them to take the student out of the country. I have also had to do a permission affidavit for my ex to take my son to Canada. ($10)...

Reply by calipat on 7/13/06 4:08pm
Msg #133038

My boys hockey team is going to Canada next week. I will be traveling with my son and my step-son and my husband. My son's father died when he was 5 and I am going to carry his father's death certificate (just in case). My step-son's mother had a letter notarized that stated we could take him out of the country. The rest of the parents on the team also had a letter notarized if they were the only parent going. Parental consent for minor child to travel out of the country.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.