Notary Rotary
Slow down in Business
Notary Discussion History

Slow down in Business
Go Back to July, 2006 Index

Posted by ewing2surf on 7/19/06 11:31am
Msg #134029

Slow down in Business

My records go back to 1999 and July was my slowest month every year. However you are aware that this is a rare business opportunity.

My friend who owners a Surf Shop tells me he sells more surfboards on days that the surfs up. That analogy applies to our business in a way. In the beginning there were lots of waves (loans) and very few surfers (loan Signers). The local swimmers (veteran notaries) became surfers (loan Signers) and were able to pick and choose the best waves (loans). It was easy to get very good at surfing when there was so much opportunity. Some of us got 4-5 good waves a day!

Then a certain Surfing Association moved into the area and started marketed surfing to other swimmers most of who had never seen the Ocean, that worked well enough so the Association took surfing inland and to distant shores. It was a success and they gave surf lessons and sold thousands of surfboards.

Now the storm is clearing up and the waves are getting few and far between but the Surf Association is acting like the storm that was creating all the good surf is still raging and continues to teach surfing to swimmers and NON-swimmers who are unaware of the dangers of the ocean as well as the gradually dropping surf.

The masses now crowd the calming ocean shores waiting for leftover waves that may never come. Each with a surf lesson and a shiny new surfboard. Frustrated that a few veteran surfers keep paddling around them catching the few good waves left and leaving the rest of them to fight for the scraps.

Most of those shiny surfboards will end up in the garage but what will become of all those surfers?

Reply by MistarellaFL on 7/19/06 11:52am
Msg #134032

Great analogy Joe! A must read for new loan signing agents!

I think even the thickest will get this!

Reply by ewing2surf on 7/19/06 12:49pm
Msg #134050

Re: Great analogy Joe! A must read for new loan signing agents!

I should modify my story a bit

A large Swimming Association with a membership fee took over a Surf Club

You must learn to Swim before you can become a Surfer

Swimming and Surfing take practice however even inexperienced Swimmers attempt to Surf

A Swimming lesson and a Surfing Lesson does not guarantee great success in either sport.

Inexperienced Swimmers can drown while swimming as well as Surfing.

Most Swimmers never become Surfers

Most Surfers never Swim unless they have to

Each Wave is different.

The Surfer becomes more skillfull the more waves he rides

Good Swimmers are not necessarily good Surfers

When the surf goes flat swimmers still swim

Aloha!

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 7/19/06 11:57am
Msg #134035

Re: Slow down in Business - very clever n/m

Reply by Becca_FL on 7/19/06 12:44pm
Msg #134049

I love it! A MUST READ for newbies and surfers alike.

Joe, would you please add this to 33325?

Reply by dickb/wi on 7/19/06 12:54pm
Msg #134054

excellent joe..a great anology...an AA+ for you.. n/m

Reply by Dave_CA on 7/19/06 2:01pm
Msg #134080

Outstanding n/m

Reply by Ndwa on 7/19/06 3:06pm
Msg #134119

Good analogy, BUT

you have to remember that the waves coming behind are always stronger as ones before them weaken and died. So, always watch your back.

Reply by ewing2surf on 7/19/06 3:36pm
Msg #134128

Re: Good analogy, BUT

The "Waves" are the LOANS Ndwa. As in how was your day Ndwa? I got 4 waves today and I'm STOKED! Smile

The swimmers are the notaries and the Notary Signing Agents are the surfers.

Reply by Signing_Doc on 7/19/06 3:53pm
Msg #134129

I got 4 waves today and I'm STOKED!

STOKED...haven't heard THAT term since the 60's dude...and I'm an OLD hippie...gnarly dude...(grab yer boards and go sidewalk surfing with me--Jan and Dean)...(sidewalk surfing...what skateboards were ORIGINALLY called...and you used your sister's metal roller skates attached to a plank of wood.)....

"Doc" Stuart (yes i'm OLD....Deal with it!) :-)

Reply by Ndwa on 7/19/06 3:59pm
Msg #134132

Geez Joe

You can also correlate the waves in my counter comment to the swimmers and surfers. It's kinda like you maybe smart, but there's always someone smarter than you.

Reply by hcampersFL on 7/19/06 11:21pm
Msg #134195

Re: Geez Joe

Andy you and I need to become friends. I like you and how you think.
Beverly

Reply by Marlene/USNA on 7/20/06 9:23am
Msg #134236

Re: Gotta admit I don't get all of it, but then. . .

. . .I live in Pennsylvania. Maybe someone has an analogy using football and beer?

Oh, wait, I won't get that either.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.