Notary Rotary
another thought since my last posting re marketing
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2006 Index

Posted by Signing_Doc on 7/9/06 5:30pm
Msg #131971

has anyone tried to solicit to the home builders directly? I'm talking about going to KB Homes, Beezer, Lewis Homes, etc. They usually have their own LO's and either their own TC, or have a TC in their 'hip pocket' so to speak. I was wondering if it would be worth my time to go directly to them or has anyone tried it? Would appreciate any feedback either way. By the way, the discussion we had earlier was EXCELLENT. Thanks y'all (bless your little hearts) (that's for you Brenda-le)..."Doc"

Reply by Teresa/FL on 7/9/06 7:32pm
Msg #131977

I do some closings for a large new home builder. They are very leery of the "just point and sign" signing agent. In order to get this business I sat in on a couple closings with their title closers and then they sat in while I conducted a closing. You MUST be able to review the HUD in detail and be familiar with HOA fees and property tax prorations. I did not charge them for my time during this "training period" and it has turned into a very lucrative arrangement.

Their busy time is at the end of the month, so I am still busy after the refi rush is over and these are all daytime closings during regular business hours.

Reply by PAW on 7/9/06 8:43pm
Msg #131988

Funny you should ask, Doc. I do work for Lennar almost every month for the past few years during their EOM crunch. I didn't approach the builder (Lennar/USHome), but the title company (which is owned by Lennar). I have approached other builders in my area and have worked with a couple of them on an "as needed" basis. I found that some builders use their own or "preferred" title company, so if you can find out who that is, just contact them.

FWIW, this past May was my best month ever because I worked over 15 days for the builder/title company.

Reply by Signing_Doc on 7/9/06 9:12pm
Msg #131993

Thanks PAW...now, how do you go about finding the

Title companies they use?....are they the same name as the builder..i.e. Pulte?...or do I need to go to the builder and ask..."What Title company do you work with?" Thanks for your help..and by the way, I added to my back o' the car advertising...i have your sign on the left side of the trunk lid and I had a license plate frame made with "Doc" Stuart CNSA on the top and Mobile Notary Public on the bottom...They look great together. Thanks "Doc"

Reply by Becca_FL on 7/9/06 10:17pm
Msg #132004

Doc

Some developers do have their own title companies, others have their preffered title companies. It's a hard nut to crack. Keep doing what you're doing.

Reply by BrendaTx on 7/10/06 12:30am
Msg #132018

Doc - Hint:

County clerk's office is your friend. Go digging with a pen and paper. You'll see a stamp or typed block that says "Return to: ___________ ."

Reply by Signing_Doc on 7/10/06 1:29am
Msg #132030

Re: Doc - Hint:

Brenda-le...Brenda--le what would I do without you...(you such a smartie---think Dr. Ruth)....good idea(r)..."bless your little heart"...an aside to all of you from my last post...take a look at my profile about Wednesday or so...I will add my picture in my "medical suit" (such a punim!)...for you all to see and then you can decide on whether it's "appropriate"...but it will only be there about a day or so...it is just going to be a picture taken by my DG...and then removed until I get one professionally done. Welllll...it's 11:25pm PDST and this little doughgie is heading to the barn. Get a rubdown, have some grub...and then to bed....to sleep......perchance to dream...AYE...THERE'S the RUB...(rub a rub dubbie...rubber duckie you're the one (squeak squeak)...you make bathtime lots of fun (squeak squeak)...rubber duckie I'm awfully fond of you...(get out of my head Ernie!!!)

"Doc" (nighty nighty)

Reply by Lynn Lowry on 7/10/06 1:00pm
Msg #132080

Closing loans for builders

I looked into closing home loans for builders, but, unfortunately, attorneys have the business tied up in NC. The only function of a title company in NC is to issue the title insurance policy, and all the title docs are prepared by attorneys, who then handle the closings. For the same reason, lenders are also not a source of business.

Reply by Becca_FL on 7/9/06 10:09pm
Msg #132002

I used to close KB Home deals in three counties. KB used to pay me to hang out and wait for their deals on the last day of the month. That was great. Basically, I was paid to stay home and clean my house while waiting for "the call." Last August, I was told that if the buyers wanted to close outside of the TC they would have to pay an additional $150 for the Notary fee - KB was not picking up the cost anymore. I've not done another KB since EOM June '05. I think the TC had A LOT to do with the new policy.

I still believe builders are a great un-tapped market. I keep calling on them and I don't think I am wasting my time. One day, they will get it.

Reply by kathy/ca on 7/9/06 11:10pm
Msg #132010

In doing this, do you contact the local sales offices on the

tracts or do you contact the corporate offices? In either case, who would be the person to speak to, the person in charge of sales?????

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.