canadian documents
Notary Discussion History

canadian documents
Go Back to July, 2006 Index

Posted by larry Schaffer on 7/22/06 8:26pm
Msg #134765

canadian documents

hello everyone,

i have a signing, and while confirming the appointment the borrower asked if i could notarize some canadian property documents. the documents specifically state that the notary is not to attach a loose acknowledgement to the docs or they will not record. they state that they need a notary signature where designated and i suppose a stamp. i know i cannot notarize another states documents without california wording but i don't recall what the law is for out-of-country documents. anyone run in to this before.

thank you, larry

Reply by ewing2surf on 7/22/06 9:11pm
Msg #134773

Destination. Out of the USA
Sign as the officer
Fill in the year month and day
Have the Borrower sign on the signature line
Stamp it.

Remind the signer that the Document my need an apostille

Make the usual entries in your Journal.

Reply by Blueink_CA on 7/22/06 10:43pm
Msg #134792

Hi Larry,

A woman asked me to notarize a canadian doc for her (RE deal). The notary instructions were clear as mud and the signature page to be notarized was even more confusing. The signer clearly needed a witness, however it looked like the witnesses sig was the only one to be notarized (Jurat, swearing to a statement that she witnessed the signing).

She called the doc preparer (atty in Canada) and sure enough, we had to find a witness and I had to notarize the witnesses sig. Very weird.

BTW, you CAN notarize another states documents without CA wording (with restrictions) , it's in the handbook.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.