Notary Rotary
gac now Fiserve - one mistake your banished
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2006 Index

Posted by Joseph Miller on 7/11/06 4:03pm
Msg #132428

I just found out I am banished from GAC now Fiserve due to a complaint from a mortgage company. I arrived 20 minutes late for an appointment and told tehm ahead of time I was running behind. I apologized several times.
While at the clsoing my cell rtang 3 times and then I was asked to turn it off which I did but explained I rely on the phone for business.

this person complained to chase who complained to GAC and apprently the high vp of GAC told them that I am no longer to be used.

I have been a loyal signing agent over 2 years and never once had one mistake or complaint and went out of my way on occassions to satisfy the borrower or corect a mistake made on the vendors side.

There is no chance of redemption just wipe me out of their system, I explained to vendor mangement of my lateness and the phone which I complied with. GAC was one third of my business in the past I have done a good job for over 2 years, it seems I am slowly being put out of business.

has anyone experienced this type of dictatorship?

Joe/NC

Reply by ananotary on 7/11/06 4:14pm
Msg #132432

I had that happen once with NASCO (before they were a pain) and I had such a good relationship with one of the managers that she went to bat for me and I am now still in their system. Maybe that would work for you?

On another note...I NEVER answer my phone at a signing unless my kids are home and I'm afraid they might burn down the house or it's a call from the broker or signing service that gave me the assignment. I think it is unprofessional and can see why they would complain if it happened more than once.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 7/11/06 5:15pm
Msg #132439

Hmmmm, If you have only been late one time for them, it seems a bit harsh.

However, the cell phone needs to be off or on viberate. I will only take a call if it is a family emergency. The loan officer will always have the home phone of the client and he will call there if he needs something. Most people, especially cranky old guys like me find a ringing cell phone during a business transaction a distaction and won't tolerate it unless is is an actual family emergency. For everything else, that is what voice mail is for. I do hope you don't discuss other business when you are in a signing. That is when errors occur

Reply by ananotary on 7/11/06 5:28pm
Msg #132444

I"m not a "cranky old guy" and I would be irritated about a

ringing cell phone during my signing. Totally agree Glenn.

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 7/11/06 5:34pm
Msg #132449

Re: it's not the end of the world...

keep marketing yourself. As for the cell phone, I don't believe ring tones should be on while conducting business. Change your voice message to say you are conducting business at the moment and can not take the call and you will return the cal. If it is an emergency then have them page you (you can have your phone on vibrate). JMHO

Reply by Blueink_CA on 7/11/06 5:55pm
Msg #132458

Since I do this full time, most of my calls are during the day. I know the phone # of the companies for which I work. I keep my phone on vibrate and if it is a signing call, I excuse myself and answer it. Usually a 10 second call. If I didn't answer, I would lose the opportunity. If it's an emergency, my family knows to text me. However Joe, three calls? You must be busy! They were probably in a hurry and already peeved that you were late.

Reply by BetsyMI on 7/11/06 6:34pm
Msg #132469

I agree, that I would keep my phone on vibrate and if I got a business call, excuse myself to take it, since it usually is only a 10 second call to accept an assignment. You can always call the scheduler back to discuss your fee after the closing you are doing.

I have never gotten three calls during a closing. Usually only one, but rarely. I usually tell the borrower I want to make sure the call isn't about THEIR closing, so they usually don't mind if I take it. That way I can accept another assignment and quickly get off the phone.

On the flip side, borrowers think nothing of taking six or seven calls during my appointment with them. Nor do they have a problem with jumping up to answer the door, go to see what their kids want, let the dog out or in, go to the bathroom, or feed their kids while I'm there. Guess it's not a two way street!

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 7/11/06 7:05pm
Msg #132477

No, its not a 2 way street...

Think about when the average customer goes grocery shopping ,,,, they will visit with neighbors, talk on their cell phone while their ice cream is melting, read all the labels of the food they are buying .. but when they want to get checked out, they want out NOW without any interuptions.

The average borrowor has been fooling with the loan for 20, 30 days or more, we are the last stop. They want to be done with it unless it is something that is important to them... Our time is not important to anyone but us. That is just the way it is .....

Reply by CaliNotary on 7/11/06 11:52pm
Msg #132591

Re: No, its not a 2 way street...

I don't care what the average borrower thinks. I am not going to lose money by ignoring my phone if it rings during a signing.

If it's clearly not a business call I just silence the ringer and let it go to voice mail, but if it is a business call or there's no caller id, you bet I'm gonna take the call.

Reply by Terri/Fl on 7/11/06 7:51pm
Msg #132492

"I'm sorry but I'm on call!!!"

When I arrive at sit down at the closing table, I nicely say "I'm sorry but I'm on call!!!" that way the borrowers have been given notice up front. Of course the call must be extremely short and I always announce to the caller that I'm in a closing and I can't talk now. I believe this statement makes the borrowers feel important. It takes 4 seconds to say yes to a future closing and send me the confirmation order. I know of a scheduler....no individual name or company will be mention here......but if you don't answer by the 4th to 5th ring ...this scheduler will go on to the next signing agent name and the closing is given to someone else. Now, I don't know about you but, I am not independtly wealthy and I need those future closings. So the cell phone stays on and the calls are are short, sweet and a couple of seconds long. Of course, I apologize several times...this seems to smooth over any ruffled feathers!

Reply by MistarellaFL on 7/11/06 11:41pm
Msg #132586

Re: "I'm sorry but I'm on call!!!"

I do that too.
But use the vibrate feature, so I can check and see if it's a call worth answering.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.