Go Back to November, 2006 Index

Posted by SONDEE WATTS on 11/27/06 3:26pm
Msg #162303

what is a jurad acknowledgement

I'm still new here, what is a jurad acknowledgement

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 11/27/06 3:30pm
Msg #162305

There is no such thing.
There is a Jurat: person appears before you and takes and oath (sworn and subcscribed)
There is an Acknowledgement: person signs and acknowledges signing the document.

If you have not taken a notary course click on Notary Public 101 blue tab, and take one.

Reply by Gerry_VT on 11/27/06 4:34pm
Msg #162319

Strictly speaking, a jurat is the words that the notary fills out which record the fact that a person took an oath. Depending on the state, the jurat may be something like "Sworn to and subscribed before me this 27th day of November, 2006" followed by the notary's signature and stamp.

Reply by SusanOH on 11/27/06 3:34pm
Msg #162308

Please take some kind of reputable course for notaries in your state or consider a different occupation. Does your state even have a handbook?? If so read it until you memorize it.

Reply by Karen Heuston on 11/27/06 5:18pm
Msg #162324

ARE YOU NEW TO THE BUS SONDEE? IF SO WELCOME AND I THINK YOU HAVE THIS A LITTLE MIXED UP, ITS A JURAT, WHICH IS ONE THING AND A ACKNOWLEDGEMENT, WHICK IS ANOTHER, BUT THEY EXPLAINED IT TO YOU VERY WELL, AOLL EXCEPT THE FIRST CHICK WHO WAS NASTY TO ME TO. DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND YOU CAN BELIVE THAT, I WISH YOU WELL IN THIS BUS

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 11/27/06 5:48pm
Msg #162329

Re: what is a jurad acknowledgement - Karen

A word of advice, meant in the nicest possible way. Turn off your caps when posting, all caps indicate yelling. Also members on here can be very helpful, but referring to someone as "chick" will not bode well.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 11/27/06 6:25pm
Msg #162334

Hi Sylvia~The words we use are an indication of our

education, professionalism and upbringing (a concept that could ue a little more attention these days). By using "chick" on a professional forum the poster shows her level of professionalism. As you say it does not bode well and I suspect that this entitlement-minded person will soon fade from the landscape.

Reply by Charm_AL on 11/27/06 6:42pm
Msg #162339

Re: Hi Sylvia~The words we use are an indication of our

personally, I'd like to know what bus I'm on here. Do you know the way to San Jose?....I'm a loose chick in a rude mood. LOL
that's opposite of loose dude in a rude mood.
Really, We must re-visit Romper Room from time to time ya know! Smile

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/27/06 6:47pm
Msg #162341

Re: LOL Charm - 2 minds on the same thought..

but judging from the rest of your post have you had a long day??..<G>

Reply by Charm_AL on 11/27/06 6:52pm
Msg #162344

man, with the in laws here for a week +, I'm so confused anymore on what long means!
My mom in law caught my step sons virus last Wednesday and was in bed in my room from Friday til this morning, happy to report she's over it, but I was going crazy trying to run my biz from my little office corner in my room. I lived at my signings all week, being so busy. A lesson in humility was learned by all.

Reply by BrendaTx on 11/27/06 7:23pm
Msg #162350

Stomach virus is running rampant in Texas. So far, I am spared, but..........

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/27/06 6:43pm
Msg #162340

I'm still trying to figure out what "bus" you're operating...

And by the way - Barbara was NOT in the least bit nasty to her - she stated a fact - the question alone shows that the poster is not only new to this board but new to the "business" and if she doesn't know what a jurat and acknowledgement is she needs to study, study, study (and take courses if necessary).

Barbara gave her helpful advice, which is what she came here for...

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/27/06 6:50pm
Msg #162342

Re: And to add - if it was Susan you were referring to

She was being matter of fact - and it's true - that question was so basic that if the poster doesn't know that answer then courses and studying are called for..

Reply by SusanOH on 11/27/06 8:35pm
Msg #162360

Re: Yes I believe I was the Chick being referred to....

Let me just say that one time a long time ago, when I was still a tyke in this whole loan signing business I too asked an extremely basic question on Go Mobile, I believe it was about venue if I recall. Much to my dismay and embarrassment I was laid out, chewed up and spit out by most of the oldtimers. Rightfully so I may add, the question was so basic I should have known better then to ask it. So the lesson I learned was to study a whole lot more and do research to see if I could find the answer first. I dug in and got dirty to learn my business, because afterall this is a business right??? First clue is learn how to correctly spell the terminology it's jurat not jurad. It's notary public, not notary republic as I saw once on a real signing agents brochure she was handing out to title companies. No I'm not kidding.
I'm not trying to be mean, I'm merely trying to tell you perhaps in a very direct way that you need lots of study before you should even begin to think about doing a loan signing for a persons mortgage. Thats all that this "chick" was trying to say.
And BTW thanks linda, you knew exactly what I meant.

Reply by Bonnie_CO on 11/27/06 9:00pm
Msg #162372

Susan...

You hit the nail on the head with your reply. My question is, where are some of these people coming from? Who "trained" them? Are they recent you know who graduates? If so, you know who really IS not teaching them anything! I can't understand putting them out to do a job, that can have some very serious consequences for the notary, when the person does not even know the very basic things about notarizing! They should at least know what a jurat and acknowledgement is if they even read thier state notary laws! No wonder our fees are going to heck in a handbasket!

Reply by SusanOH on 11/27/06 9:09pm
Msg #162376

Re: Susan...

yes Bonnie, and I had yet another newbie emailing me for "all of my knowledge" once again. I went on Go Mobile to vent about it and I get this poster over there psychoanalyzing me saying I'm just a very angry person, so angry I'm going to make myself sick. Pleeeeze. Get a life. Yes I believe this is why the fees are going to the basket and not to our bottom line.

Reply by Bonnie_CO on 11/27/06 9:15pm
Msg #162377

Re: Susan...

Don't you love being psycoanalyzed!? Guess there's a whole lot of us that are gonna be sick, huh? LOL!
Have a good week!

Reply by SusanOH on 11/27/06 9:55pm
Msg #162385

Re: Bonnie

You also have a good week. I'm kind of sweating it this month to be honest, i mean I still have three days but I keep getting cancels and then reschedules but when?? Ya know. Yeah I'm alittle stressed 6 weeks ago I quit a twenty something year smoking habit cold turkey. I'm on a liquid diet so i'm not eating. I'm not drinking because that just makes me want to eat. I'm getting up early and working out everyday., and my month is nothing to toot about. So today was NOT the day to be emailing me and asking me the secrets of my success. Sorry it just rubbed me the wrong way. I'm beat I'm going to bed. Have a good one.

Reply by Carolyn Bodley on 11/27/06 10:03pm
Msg #162389

Re: this bus you keep referring to, is it big and yellow? n/m

Reply by Gary_CA on 11/28/06 12:53am
Msg #162428

Yellow, but I think maybe it's the little bus. n/m

Reply by MistarellaFL on 11/28/06 10:17am
Msg #162482

ARE YOU NEW TO THE BUS SONDEE?

What would that be? The short bus? Have a nice ride...

Reply by Carolyn Bodley on 11/27/06 10:02pm
Msg #162386

Re: Did the NNA just pass through town? n/m

Reply by Bonnie_CO on 11/27/06 11:02pm
Msg #162403

I think you nailed it Carolyn! LOL!

Good to see you! Speaking of everyone's favorite organization, they're supposed to be in our neck of the woods soon. YUCK!

Reply by Gary_CA on 11/28/06 12:17am
Msg #162419

and now for an answer....

Besides the misspelling one of the two most common words in the notary lexicon (and the easier to spell no less) it's a legitimate question.

A jurat-acknowledgment is a notary wording that is found occasionally that includes element of both a jurat and an acknowledgment... "subscribed and signed before me acknowledging that he executed this instrument in his authorized capacity..." I've got the wording a little rough, but it was an example in our state approved notary class. I'm told that in California I may notarize such a document (for another state, because California docs must have exact California wording) but that I may charge only one maximum fee for the act, not two.

So there ya have it.

This wasn't a test question was it? Because it's not too likely you've actually seen a jurat-acknowledgment.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.