Notary Rotary
Background checks and Notary Information
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by Barb25 on 9/26/06 2:46pm
Msg #148588

I have read that it will become necessary for signing notaries to have background checks. At least this is according to what I read on the NNA site. In the past I was asked by Signature Services (who I had done hundreds of signings for) to fill out background check papers, supply a resume and fill out an application. When I read all the info they were asking for I tossed it. They are asking for everything that constitutes my identity. I recently reconsidered doing this because if it is going to be necessary industry-wide why not. Anyhow I called and they sent another package. I might add that they said they are have currently put a hold on background checks for some reason I don't have straight.

When I got the new package. It had the background release form. Why, I don't know. Also it is asking for fax 2 forms of ID, ie., passport and drivers license. Also, it asks for SS# even though I am providing an EIN. I emailed back and asked why I need both. My answer was because that it what the form asks for. I am really uneasy about all of this. If any of you have had experience with this background check and update of information for Signature Services or any other company, I would appreciate your input on the experience. What did they ask for, did you give all the info, etc. Thanks. If I am just being paranoid, I need to know. However, there is so much going on with identity theft and they are asking me to give them my life. Why the SS# and the EIN? Because the form asks for it? Does not seem reasonable.

Thanks again. I look forward any and all comments.

Reply by Charm_AL on 9/26/06 2:54pm
Msg #148590

I do not give out, nor do I intend to start giving my SS#. That is why I have an EIN.
I will send my DL, with my number crossed out. Did you get this from the NNA? I am not, as well as many others interested in fulfilling their request.

Reply by Jersey_Boy on 9/26/06 2:56pm
Msg #148591

Barb,

You need to do a search on "background checks." This topic has already been discussed many times over the past few weeks.

It seems to most that the background check thing is just another was to sucker people out of their money. When one of the companies I am working for asks for a background check, I'll be more than happy to comply. I will not be rushing to the NNA website with my credit card any time soon.... (or ever for that matter).

I am renaming the NNA as the Notary Nonsense Association.

Reply by Barb25 on 9/26/06 3:16pm
Msg #148592

I thank you for your reply and I hear what you are saying. I agree with not sending NNA money for something that may happen in the future but only lines their pockets presently.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I am sorry. Has anyone been approached by a signing service (title company, lender, etc) asking for this information. I know that FASS (Signature Services) is not giving any work to any notary who did not supply this information in compliance to their request several months ago. Has this happened with any other company other than Signature Services. Are any of you working with Signature Services?

I would also like your input on the following: Suppose a background check becomes necessary to continue in our line of work (signing agents)....In other words if it becomes as much of a requirement as is a notary commission. You/we will then have the choice of giving the info or not working. Correct?

I as most of you I imagine have nothing to "cover up" however, we are giving out everything that protects our identity. EIN AND SS#. My point is when we fax it WHERE and TO WHOM is it going. What will be our choices?

Reply by Jersey_Boy on 9/26/06 3:40pm
Msg #148596

As far as I am concerned, I have already had a sufficient background check performed by the State when I first applied to become a notary. If the state felt that my background didn't warrant giving me a notary public commission, then I wouldn't be a notary public....

Personally, I don't give out any more personal information than is required to issue me a 1099. I use my business name and EIN #. Companies that I work for have my home address and all of my contact information. When requested, I will provide the company with a copy of my notary certificiate and/or E&O insurance. That's it. I won't give any more information out. I don't know who is on the receiving end and we've all seen how fraudulently some of the SS can do business.

If/When a company wants more personal information than I am willing to share, I simply do not sign up with that company. The risks of identity theft are not worth it to me.

I had enough of a scare when I was getting letters from the Secretary of Veterans Affairs telling me of some bozo who stole a government computer with every veteran's personal infomation.... I just am not interested in the headache.

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 9/26/06 3:27pm
Msg #148593

The SS# would be required on the B/G check in order to pull your personal credit. Credit reports are generally included in the pre-employment B/G checks of lenders and title companies, and I'm going to assume they'll be part of the B/G checks on us.

I don't think Identity Theft is really going to be the largest 'risk'. One of the very real consequences is that every time someone pulls your credit report, your score drops. If it's done annually by every company your work for .... ouch. Seems like I read somewhere where 'they' (someone I don't recall, consumer group maybe) were working to have that changed, so that "inquiries" would not affect your scoring, but I could also just be making that up.

This whole thing really has been intriguing, to say the least. I can't wait to see what comes out in the wash.

Reply by Beth/MD on 9/26/06 4:34pm
Msg #148604

I too work with an EIN --- there's no need to have my ss#. I also feel that Maryland more than makes up for the "background check" with the bond we're required to have.

Reply by Linda_in_MI on 9/26/06 3:29pm
Msg #148594

Take this with a grain of salt

I too have reservations about the "federally mandated" required background checks. I spoke with a rep of the NNA last week, and asked some questions.

Q1. (a combination of a couple of questions) Will I be required to have the background checks to be a member of NNA? Will a background check be required to be certified by the NNA? Will a background check be required to be a notary?
A1. The short version: No to all three. HOWEVER, there was a disclaimer of sorts. They are trying to loopholes in the GLBA (or whatever) that apparantly TC and SS have been using since the Act was voted on. AND if you want to work for those TCs and SSs that have started this business, then yes, you will need a background check, and you will need a check for future TC and SS that cross over into the dark side. BUT HERE CONTRIDICTION #1. Despite what I am reading on the NNA website, I was told at the beginning of the conversation that the checks are not mandatory, you don't have to be have the checks to be certified, and you don't have to be certified or have the checks to be a member of the NNA. (at least at the time of the phone call). But, in the grand scheme of things, those with checks and certifications will be listed at the top of the heap, then those with just certifications, then everybody else. By the end of the call though, that "not mandatory" had changed to everyone needs to do this by December 1st.

Q2. Who is going to be handling the background checks for the NNA?
A2. This stumped the gal off her script and reading points. She had to look for the answer. According to information she found, Lexus-Nexus is handling the checks.

Q3. What will be researched in the check?
A3. Criminal history, driving record and other things that would be required in a federal background check.

Q4. But my state already does a driving record background check (and per the SOS that is all Michigan is planning on doing until Michigan changes the law)?
A4. But this is a more detailed federal background check.

Bottom line, I like a lot of people don't feel comfortable with the NNA pushing this on us . . . even if it was at the urging of 5-6 nationwide TC/SS. I don't like the timing, (I don't buy that line about just finding out themselves) I don't like paying for something I may or may not be required to supply, and the fact that I feel they are talking out of both sides of their mouth. Right now I'm paying $$$ for this, and $$$ for that, and $$$ for right leg, and $$$ for left arm.

Reply by BrendaTx on 9/26/06 7:19pm
Msg #148636

Re: Take this with a grain of salt

**Lexus-Nexus is handling the checks.**

I think LexNex sounds a lot more credible for background checking than the NNA.

Note: In Tx, if you have ANY kind of a legal smudge over a traffic ticket you cannot have a CHL. I'd think that would give you enough credibility to be a notary signing agent.

I'd love to see my sos set up a true background check with fingerprints and all (supposedly they are random) for notaries in Texas. The vehicle is in place, I'd pay for it to my STATE. But not to the NNA. Phooey on that.

Reply by Lee/AR on 9/26/06 3:41pm
Msg #148597

NNA is trying to line their pockets again.

It is not needed... but if it's later decided that it's a MUST by the people who we work for who don't want to understand that it's not necessary, then I submit that WE notaries also MUST be provided with BG Cks. on ALL the people that conceivably would have access to OUR very private information. What's good for the goose.....
As long as we're doing that, then we'd better also have BG Cks. sent with every signing we do that requires faxbacks BECAUSE we don't know who we're faxing a B's sensitive information to OR what they might be doing with it.
In case you missed the sarcasm here, I don't mean a word of this. I am merely trying to point out that this is still more NNA Nonsense. Jersey Boy has it almost right. Actually, it's Notary Nonsense A$$e$......

Reply by John_NorCal on 9/26/06 6:41pm
Msg #148627

I agree with the others in this thread, NNA is just out

to make more money off the working SA. Since, I assume, every state does a background check prior to appointing a notary, there is no reason in my opinion to have a background check conducted by some shameless organization like the NNA. I think I'll save my money until some hard and fast rules come out from people that count.

Reply by Poppy on 9/26/06 8:00pm
Msg #148646

The problem I have with BG checks is that if it is an issue

of compatability with the GLB Act. The BG check is only one of the many guidelines for safeguarding customers sensitive informtion. (and IMO it by itself it will mean nothing)

NNA will be putting a pretty pink bow on a serious problem and calling it fixed.

If they were to include the backgroud check and include it along with a policy manual with all guidelines and procedures needed for NSA's to remain in complete compliance with GLB and come up with some kind of approved industry wide certification for GLB compliance so we would not have to do more than one background check.

Then I would say that the NNA has done a good thing. Of course if they are the only game in town offering the approved certification program we will have to hand our wallets over to them. Having several approved programs would be ideal.

Reply by Becca_FL on 9/26/06 8:06pm
Msg #148648

More propaganda from the NNA intended to fill their pockets n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.