Notary Rotary
Be careful when driving
Notary Discussion History

Be careful when driving
Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by BetsyMI on 9/7/06 9:15am
Msg #144073

Be careful when driving

I had a closing on Tuesday night. I was driving pretty slowly because I kept glancing from the road to the addresses to find out where I was going to do the closing. I glanced back to the road and the person in front of me had stopped to turn left. The pavement was wet and my brakes didn't hold and I slammed right into the back of her car.

No one was hurt. We exchanged information and I "limped" my car to the closing a half block away. The front end is smashed in, the radiator is dented, and all the panel lights were on. After the closing I again drove my car two blocks to a gas station where I left it to be towed. The damage is about $3000 and I won't have a car for about three weeks. My deductible is $500, way more than I earned at that closing.

I had to cancel a closing for the next day and have turned several down since because I have no wheels. I live alone so I don't have access to a second car.

Just a reminder to be careful out there...it's awful to get tickets or to get in accidents when trying to make a buck.

Reply by Teddog/CO on 9/7/06 9:20am
Msg #144080

Betsy! Hope you're OK.

Reply by Howie35CT on 9/7/06 9:22am
Msg #144083

Yeah, the important thing is that you are indeed ok. Sorry that we all learned a valuable lesson at your expense, but thanks for sharing with us. Hope that the rest of your month is more profitable so that we can get you in some new wheels. I just bought a newer car (Altima) since my truck was killin' me in gas mileage, and it was pretty inexpensive. Be safe out there...

Reply by cassiewi on 9/7/06 9:21am
Msg #144081

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm glad you're ok and I hope you will get the car back sooner than expected. You're right, I've had a few close calls and I take those as reminders to slow down, it's not worth it to get into an accident or get a ticket.

Reply by Charm_AL on 9/7/06 9:21am
Msg #144082

Hang in there Betsy, I was out of commission for about 8 weeks this year. This too shall come to pass.

Reply by cyndi_ca on 9/7/06 9:23am
Msg #144084

I hope you are ok!

Reply by BetsyMI on 9/7/06 9:37am
Msg #144091

Thanks everyone. Yes I'm ok. I guess I'll consider this a vacation.

Not going out much over the next few weeks should save a few pennies.

Besides the $500 deductible, I'll still have to have the brakes looked at when I get the car back, which could be another $100-200.

But yes everyone was fine after the accident.

Reply by Becca_FL on 9/7/06 10:12am
Msg #144109

Re: Be careful when driving Betsy

Do you have rental insurance? Call your agent to see if you can get a rental car to keep yourself in business. If you do not have coverage for a rental while your smashed car is being fixed, you may want to look into getting it. Mine only costs around $21 every six months.

Glad you are uninjured.

Reply by Blueink_CA on 9/7/06 10:29am
Msg #144117

I'm sorry that happened to you Betsy. It could have been any one of us. The more we are on the road, the more chance of an accident. The rental car seems like a good idea, as sometimes it takes awhile for a car to get fixed.

This is just another reason that I'm asking Santa for a GPS this Christmas. Good luck to you.

Reply by SueW/Tn on 9/7/06 10:32am
Msg #144118

and I hope you're a good girl so Santa will bring it! I can truthfully say I don't know what I did before I got my GPS! It especially helps during those evening appointments where you can't see the street let alone the sign. YOU'LL LOVE IT!

Reply by Gary_CA on 9/7/06 11:37am
Msg #144152

Don't be so good

After 19 Santa brings the best presents to the BAD girls...and a GPS is a pretty good present.

It's like this, Santa considers GPS devices "guy gear" you know, the difference between men and boys. And to get guy gear for his lady, well, lets just say he'll have to be pretty motivated.

Reply by Charm_AL on 9/7/06 11:43am
Msg #144155

Re: Don't be so good

yep, just as motivated as I'd have to be to buy my guy a mop or carpet sweeper.

Reply by Gary_CA on 9/7/06 11:48am
Msg #144159

ROFLMAO

Yeah, GPS IS INDEED a tool... mine's acting up and I can't live without it.

BUT it's still cool electronic gear... and... oh nevermind, a logical female mind will never be able to understand.

Reply by Gary_CA on 9/7/06 11:34am
Msg #144149

Wet pavement????

It's early September... wet pavement????

With all due respect to lakes, open space and incredible cheese, you need a new zip code.

I'll start seeing wet pavement about Thanksgiving... when you start dealing with black ice!

Having a car in the shop is a PITA... I hope your ordeal goes as smoothly as this sort of thing can go.... smile when you can.

Reply by BetsyMI on 9/7/06 12:00pm
Msg #144161

Re: Wet pavement???? Gary..

You don't have rain in California??? When the "incident" occurred, it was a nice 70 degree night with a quick rain, so yes the pavement was wet. No snow here until November or December. Makes me shiver just to think about it!

I should have had my brakes checked a few months ago, so the wet pavement didn't help at all.

Reply by Gary_CA on 9/7/06 1:16pm
Msg #144188

It never rains in CA...

the girls only warn ya...

In fact, in this part (and most parts) of Califonria we don't get summer rain. No rainy 70 degree nights. Foggy mornings, sunny afternoons from now till at least Halloween. I can leave a newspaper sitting out in my yard, well except for the fog, but I don't get too much of that at my house.

Rain starts sometime in November, lasts till sometime in March.

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 9/7/06 1:49pm
Msg #144195

You might want to check out what the cost of a rental car is? I had a number of narrow escapes before I bought my GPS.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.