Notary Rotary
Cheap way to present documents
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by David Kral on 9/3/06 1:04am
Msg #143193

I keep stacks of Fedex, UPS, or DHL cardboard envelops in a box in my office. Depending on the title companies express carrier, I put one with a label in my bag and a matching one with no lable for the client's copies. If I have multiple sigings, I only put out the two envelops for that signing a couple pens and my stamp.( I never want to leave my briefcase that might have other client's data at someone's house).

Take my notarized set with me and leave the other envelop behind.

Thus, it costs me nothing for my client folders.

Reply by Ernest__CT on 9/3/06 6:39am
Msg #143196

"Cheap" is the best word ...

... to describe using FedEx, UPS, or DHL shipping containers to leave documents for borrowers. I would be offended if I were the borrower.

Reply by Joan_OH on 9/3/06 8:22am
Msg #143203

Re: "Cheap" is the best word ...

I agree. What kind of impression does it leave with the borrowers, especially if they are one who knows UPS & FedEx supply these free for the use of their service.

I used to use USPS alot for my Ebay items. If someone walked in with a first class envelope and "USED" a priority label, even with the "priority" cut off, the post office would charge them priority prices. Blue line and form number on the bottom gave them away. I have received UPS ground packages in USPS priority boxes (provided free at the post office) where the sender actually untaped the box at the seams and turned it inside out!

I use about 50 UPS envelopes a month. UPS has cut me off and will only let me order 75 at a time, so I have to order every month to month and a half. I am constantly running out. I used to order them for another agent who didn't have an account number and had difficulty getting supplies - now I can't. I know this is because I order all these envelopes and they see no charges to my account basically because I am using someone elses account number.

People like you are why. These things are not "free". They are provided for using their service.

I get 10x15 manilla envelopes at Office Max for about 18 cent each. Recently, I added a "BORROWER'S COPY" cover sheet in colored paper with a clamp.

You never know. The borrower's impression may not only be "cheap", but also "thief". You really need to rethink this one!

Joan-OH

Reply by Tina_MA on 9/3/06 7:10pm
Msg #143273

>>>UPS has cut me off and will only let me order 75 at a time, so I have to order every month to month and a half.<<<

UPS must not like you. I order a case of 1,000 at a time, along with labels, from both UPS and FedEx -- both legal sized envelopes and large pouches.

No one at either company has ever said that I can only order "75" at a time.

Reply by Joan_OH on 9/3/06 8:50pm
Msg #143281

I don't know why they don't like me! I try to only use UPS when I can. I just went in to the system to reorder supplies and I entered 200 legal envelopes and I got back in red letters that I am limited to 100. :-( The only thing I can think is although I use their system to print my labels, I always check "bill receiver". Their system must see me as ordering, but never paying to ship so they limit me.

Doesn't make sense that you can order 1000 and I can only order 100. What's your secret?

Joan-OH

Reply by Tina_MA on 9/4/06 12:27pm
Msg #143342

>>>I just went in to the system to reorder supplies and I entered 200 legal envelopes and I got back in red letters that I am limited to 100.<<<

That must be part of your problem, you're ordering online. I order by phone with a live person. I'll bet if you order by phone, they'd give you the amount of supplies you want.

>>>The only thing I can think is although I use their system to print my labels, I always check "bill receiver". Their system must see me as ordering, but never paying to ship so they limit me.<<<

That shouldn't matter. They should be looking at how many deliveries you have to your house. My UPS and FedEx drivers tell me that I have more deliveries than any of the businesses in my neighborhood.

Reply by PJM/MI on 9/3/06 6:53am
Msg #143199

I use legal sized manila folders for the borrowers set..with my business card stapled on the front of it. I then write the name & phone # ofthe title company on the front of the folder for the borrower.
I am surprised how often I get calls from the borrowers to do extra notary work.

Reply by Scott_IN on 9/3/06 5:21pm
Msg #143263

Re: Cheap way to present documents...and adds color

I have found a great way to present my clients their documents. My son eats a couple of boxes of cereal every week, so I take the old cereal boxes and put the client docs in them. The boxes are tall enough and add entertainment for the kids at the signing, keeping them out of my briefcase. Once I forgot to take out the bag with the cereal scraps and the borrowers got a little pissed when it spilt on the dinning room table and floor. (Naw, just joking, April Fools!!) I use the 10 x 15 envelopes you can buy at Sam's club, they only cost like .17 or .18 cents each and I write the clients name, contact info, address and appointment time on the outside, so that information is handy when I go to the appointment.

Reply by Joan_OH on 9/3/06 5:45pm
Msg #143268

Re: Cheap way to present documents...and adds color

You got me! LOL. If you could've seen me with my mouth hanging open when you described the borrowers being pissed when the cereal fell out onto the floor...... I figured "Oh my gosh, this is worse than looking like a thief and using UPS envelopes!"

Good One! Glad it isn't true!

Joan-OH

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 9/3/06 10:32pm
Msg #143287

Here is a suggestion on how to present documents

The Borrower's copies; I print the following information on the cover page:

BORROWER'S COPY

NOTARY: JOAN BERGSTROM
24/7 TO RIVERSIDE & SAN BERNARDINO COUNTIES
CELL: 951-522-4919
FAX: 951-346-3186

I also leave my business card with every borrower and I have gotten many call backs using these two simple advertising methods.

Reply by Pamela on 9/3/06 10:20pm
Msg #143285

Scott,

So April Fool's arrived early. . .?
Got me too! ("smile"Wink

Pam

Reply by TitleGalCA on 9/4/06 12:22am
Msg #143296

Re: Cheap way to present ....It is Brilliant!

Scott, I think you are very creative.

I would suggest Wheaties boxes over Special K boxes (so much more politically correct). If you take that tactic, your son needs to eat Wheaties only...in support of his Dad who is doing signings.

I wish you good luck in that.......(the kid eating Wheaties only). He'll be hiding the Lucky Charms box under his bed...but don't tell anyone, it'll blow the whole cover.

See - Wheaties have a big advertising firm behind them....normally with the "Athlete of the Month" in the real world. If you bring the docs out in a Wheaties box (crumbs and all) you'll still be accepted.

After all...who in the world would argue with um ANDRE AGASSI after the month of September? It would truly be marketing and political suicide. Brilliant. Simply Brilliant!!

Scott, all is good until the end of the US Open in a week.

Then my friend...you are on your own.

TG

Reply by JanetK_CA on 9/4/06 2:24am
Msg #143300

I'm sure that would have gone over real well with the several employees of FedEx & UPS that I have done signings for over the years... I think those companies are the ones that would have the biggest problem with someone using their materials for purposes other than what they are intended for. In fact, I remember reading something about them going after a guy who was using FedEx boxes to build furniture in his office/home. The guy was very creative, but they didn't find it very amusing!

Reply by BrendaTx on 9/4/06 4:42am
Msg #143302

In Msg #53289 I gave a long list of things you "could" do with Fedex packages...and at the end, I said you could also use them to ship your packages back in.

I just hope the guy at http://www.fedexfurniture.com did not read it, take it seriously, and begin his life of crime making "Fedex Furniture."

One of the worst things I have ever seen a signing service do was to send me an LSO.com envelope turned wrong side out to use as an envelope to return a Fedex (or UPS, cannot remember which now) package in. That made no sense.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.