Notary Rotary
Cool Tool for rural Notaries
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by Lee/AR on 9/13/06 7:27am
Msg #145693

I absolutely hate trying to locate signing locations on rural roads at night & so try to only accept (or get time changed) daylight appointments. Found this sunrise/sunset calculator which not only gives you the time of sunrise & sunset, but also how many minutes of twilight you've got before you can't even see the fool road you're looking for. I'm really enthused... and you all probably think I'm nuts. It's a shareware program and appears to be totally ad-free. WinZip file that you can install right from the site & a little icon sits in the tray at the bottom of you screen.
Here's the link: http://www.sunrisesunset.com/

Reply by BrendaTx on 9/13/06 7:49am
Msg #145698

I hear you Lee. There are a couple of notaries in Texas I know who might benefit from something like this.

Reply by LawrenceOK on 9/13/06 8:15am
Msg #145705

Once it gets dark, it's dark and finding some of these Oklahoma rural roads at night can be a pita. Some of them I wouldn't even call roads, but are more like cattle trails. Good directions from the borrowers is a must for rural evening signings.

Reply by LkArrowhd/CA on 9/13/06 8:16am
Msg #145706

Re: Lee in my neck of the woods, when dark, it is very dark

we have so little street lighting on the mountain and not only that but we have very few house numbers on houses up here, we also have the same name streets/roads that run in both directions, north and south and east and west, many streets that allow for only one vehicle at a time. Now this is all before the snow has even arrived......it can be tricky to say the least....I feel your pain...

Reply by MelissaCT on 9/13/06 8:59am
Msg #145715

Re: Good flashlight

I carry a great Craftsman flashlight (got it from QVC) that is rechargeable & puts out a lot of light. People probably wonder who's shining a spotlight onto their home, but I use it all the time at night to see house numbers and street signs. (Can't always count on someone leaving the porch light on for my arrival) It's a remarkable piece of equipment that I hate to be without.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 9/13/06 9:05am
Msg #145716

Melissa

It is also a good "weapon" LOL

Reply by LkArrowhd/CA on 9/13/06 9:08am
Msg #145718

Re: Good flashlight-Oh yes Melissa I always carry mine as

well, and we have some major fog up here when we are expecting rain, any sort of light does little to fix that one.....

Reply by Elizabeth Soliday on 9/13/06 3:09pm
Msg #145798

My city has 2000 people

I once got lost on logging roads for an hour, the trees hung over the road like in a horror movie and I had to dodge fallen trees. Mapquest had given me roads like "CR-13" which probably stands for county road and was not on any sign.

Luckily I came out on a main road. I learned my lesson and next time I will have that rural customer meet me somewhere else.

Thanks for the link.

Reply by LIZ/VA on 9/13/06 4:53pm
Msg #145829

Thanks for the info. I also have found that "Map Quest" is often incorrect sending me ( if I followed their directions) to the oposite of where I am supposed to be. I have since found that "Rand McNally" is the best, but I use them both. Of course when speaking with client I try to get directions from them as I am looking at my preprinted internet directions. Where I work I have found ( also in this rural area ) there are many houses that are behind other houses, that can never be seen from the road. Often they look like a driveway to a house that may be 2 - 4 houses in front on the house I am trying to locate. You experinced SAs probably know all about this "stuff" but for those who are just starting out or beginning to work in rural areas, I hope you will find this helpful.Smile

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.