DARN IT!
Notary Discussion History

DARN IT!
Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by Charm_AL on 9/20/06 2:37pm
Msg #147265

DARN IT!

this is a first...
I had a borrower talk to his escrow company about something he wasn't happy about. He accused ME of telling him to keep a second and just pay $50. towards it instead of a new HELOC. He questioned it and said he wasn't happy about it and it wasn't what he wanted.
All I did was put the paper in question on the top of his copies in his folder so that he could get his questions answered with his LO in the am, and reminded him of the RTC. Now the company is telling me they may lose it if they can't do what he wants. grrrrr.
do you ever get accused of something by the borrower you point blank did not do? This is a new company for me to darn it!

Reply by Ilona_OH on 9/20/06 2:44pm
Msg #147266

We are the bottom of the food chain! n/m

Reply by hcampersFL on 9/20/06 2:45pm
Msg #147267

No that hasn't happened to me before, but I can see how it could. People are funny. They remember things the way they want them to be. It sure makes their life easier. I wouldn't worry to much about it. Let the company that hired you know that in no way, shape or form did you do this and that you are offended by the accusation. You value your reputation to much to ever consider doing something so unethical. If they continue to believe that you would have done something like this they lose them, you didn't need them anyway.
JMO
b.

Reply by hcampersFL on 9/20/06 2:47pm
Msg #147268

"like this they lose them,"

Should be "like this then lose them,"

Sorry.

Reply by cassiewi on 9/20/06 2:52pm
Msg #147269

I had a borrower call me and say that one of the loans wasn't paid off on the hud, did I remember telling her about it. I said whatever is on your hud is what was paid off. She made it sound as though they didn't pay off her mortgage, but it was another loan she was talking about. She for some reason thought that the copy I left her was different than the one she signed. I tried to make it very clear that what she had was what I would have told her when I was there. She was older, but she had her capabilities about her. I told her she needed to talk with her loan officer. Made me a little nervous, I admit. But nothing like what you described.

Reply by Lee/AR on 9/20/06 2:57pm
Msg #147270

Haven't had it happen yet. I say 'yet' because from my r.e. days, I know that people will remember or dis-remember whatever is in their best interest at the moment and they really don't care who they work over in the process.

Reply by cntrlcalntry on 9/20/06 3:17pm
Msg #147276

Two weeks ago I had a R.M. where the borrower told the
L.O. I told her the $45.00 Courier Fee would be charged
for mailing her check every month. Of course I explained I did not
and hopefully I will hear back from them again.

Reply by Jersey_Boy on 9/20/06 3:29pm
Msg #147278

I had a borrower call me today to ask me what his last day was to cancel.

I told him to refer to the RTC in his loan documents. I ALWAYS leave the RTC on top of the borrower copies.... I guess he was just lazy and didn't want to actually read his docs.

Reply by Barbara O on 9/20/06 5:44pm
Msg #147307

It's constant that I hear from the borrowers "Oh the LO said you did this" etc. My biggest kick though is when (I am a partnership) I will be sitting across the desk from my partner as she is talking to the borrower on the phone to confirm the appointment, etc. I will hear her say "PLease make sure you have a PHOTOCOPY of your driver's license available for the notary to take with her when she leaves" Then I will get to the signing and the borrower will say "Oh, no.. no one told us to make a photocopy of our license". Fun stuff! Thats why I always bring a copier with me to signings now... because even when they say they will have one they almost never do!

Reply by MelissaM_FL on 9/20/06 5:49pm
Msg #147309

I had a company call me and screamingly accuse my biz partner of suggesting that the borrower shouldn't do a HELOC but instead should do a subordination agreement with the original lender for a specific dollar amount. I had to LOL at the man on the phone. Number one, don't scream at me because I react by laughing (nerves) and number two, my biz partner doesn't even know that there is such a thing as a subordination agreement, nor would she ever recommend one if she knew about it.

Reply by Gary_CA on 9/20/06 6:11pm
Msg #147323

I think I know what a subordination agreement is...

In fact I'm 99% sure I know what a subordination agreement is...

and I'm trying like hell to figure out how it could replace a HELOC ???? Sounds like someone's smokin' their underwear to me.

An aside... a trivia question really... I don't think a 1st can "do a subordination for a specific dollar amount" can they??? Either the entire loan is in first place or it isn't right??? (I'm not 99% sure I understand this detail).

Reply by Charles_Ca on 9/20/06 7:12pm
Msg #147349

Re: I think I know what a subordination agreement is...

You are right Gary, who's the first going to subordinate to???

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 9/21/06 5:36am
Msg #147393

I'm thinking the situation translates as ...

there was an existing 2nd, which was to be paid off, and the borrower was told by someone "why not have the existing 2nd subordinate, pay $50 for that (recording), and KEEP it instead of paying it off and replacing it with this new Heloc."

Reply by MelissaM_FL on 9/21/06 9:23am
Msg #147421

Re: I'm thinking the situation translates as ...

You're probably right, Renee. However, he wasn't told that by my biz partner or by me. Both of us would consider that WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY beyond the scope of our notary duties...and she doesn't understand subordination agreements at all. I know about this >__< much about them and don't understand all I know. When I do not understand something, I do not bandy the term about....I come here and ask for clarification. Wink

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 9/22/06 5:37am
Msg #147682

Re: I'm thinking the situation translates as ...

just to make sure there's no misunderstanding, I didn't mean to imply that you or your business partner would've been the one giving that advice - definitely agree, WAY out of line for us to do! =)

Reply by DD/OR on 9/21/06 6:32am
Msg #147405

You got off easy. Consider yourself lucky. Several years ago, I had a borrower who was absolutely nuts. This is a horror story. Doomed right from the beginning through no fault of mine. I printed out Edocs for split-signing. Borrowers said they wanted to meet me in a restaurant because I said I didn't have an office. I suggested a restaurant and they said OK. As soon as they got there, I smelled trouble. The lady was all upset because she didn't want to meet at a restaurant. She wanted to go to an office. I reminded her that I didn't have an office and that they said they would meet at a restaurant. She calmed down a little and they signed a few pages. Then they started complaining about things on every page. She started saying that they weren't going to sign. I suggested that they call their LO. I handed her my cell phone. She was really upset with her LO and she was pacing the floor of the restaurant and obviously mad. She then walked outside with my cell phone and continued to talk. I sent her husband out after her. I was afraid she would take off with my cell phone. They came back in and I heard her tell her LO lies about me. She said that I said things that I didn't say. I took my phone away from her. The other customers were looking at us. I thought we were going to get thrown out. I talked briefly to the LO and she asked me about what the borrower had told her. I denied it and told her that I didn't say anything like that. She acted like she believed the borrower. I told her that the borrowers had said thay aren't going to sign. She said to tell the borrowers to call her later. I did and I gathered up my things to go.
But the borrowers weren't finished with me. They stormed angrily out the door. Then I saw them both coming back toward me. They looked like they were going to attack me. I was afraid. They said "We want those loan documents". I said "no", they're not yours or mine. I have to shred them. I was so relieved to get away from them. They were my worst nightmare. Needless to say, the company refused to pay me. I turned the company over to a collection agency and they collected for me. I also reported them to the BBB. I'm going to write a book.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.