Notary Rotary
DSL & Zonealarm
Notary Discussion History

DSL & Zonealarm
Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by MaryP/PA on 9/28/06 6:40pm
Msg #149142

DSL & Zonealarm

How many of you that have a broadband connection use Zonealarm or something like it? Do you think you should have it. I used to use it when I had a cable modem. Not sure about DSL.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 9/28/06 6:53pm
Msg #149143

DSL and Cable are both considered broadband. What you used for cable will be fine with DSL. Everyone will have their favorite thing to use as a firewall.

Personally, I don't pay for anything. I use the free stuff such as the Windows firewall and Antivir antivirus, plus Adware and Spybot. All free. Also, I don't connect directly to the modem, I use a network router (wireless in my case) which acts as a firewall to the outside world. Then the kids don't get to use my busniess computer. If they want MySpace or to do something else they use a laptop dedicated for that purpose. Even on that I only do the above and have not had any issues.

Everyone has their own way of securing their computers. The best thing is to know what kind of behavor is risky and avoid that if at all possible.

Reply by Dave_CA on 9/28/06 8:05pm
Msg #149147

I use ZoneAlarm Security suite and I'm very satisfied.

Reply by Ndwa on 9/28/06 8:21pm
Msg #149150

I use both ZA and AVG (free) on my laptop and the kids computer with wireless. I have the full version of Norton on this business computer and never a problem with printing or anything.

Reply by Gary_CA on 9/29/06 2:17am
Msg #149179

Most of those firewall programs are a PITA if you ask me... Norton Internet Security is downright evil.... I mean bad... (Norton Antivirus is just fine... it's their firewall that's from hell)

Fact is, if you're behind a router you've already got a firewall. You still need anti virus, but I've disabled all the firewall crap, including Windows and lived happily ever after.

As to having the kids use another computer... that plan USUALLY works... unless they come up with some crap that slows down your whole network. If you're network is crawling like LA traffic try having them actually power off their computer.... if that brings it back up to speed they've got a problem.

The flavor of the week on My Space is some crap called Limewire... UGGHH... The good news is it unistalls easy and clean. The bad news is they check a bunch of boxes to tell it what crap they're interested in, and the whole time the computer is running it scours the net looking for that stuff... lights up your modem like a Christmas tree and slows down everybody on it.

Just uninstall and kick your teenager in the butt, problem solved (That's the night my nephew learned that uncles aren't as nice as grandpas).

Reply by Ndwa on 9/29/06 3:31am
Msg #149183

Limewire is sweet...

and free if you know how to use it.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.