Notary Rotary
Does anyone know who else we can use to get certified
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by MonicaFL on 9/18/06 8:32am
Msg #146681

besides the NNA? I just called there to renew my certification and it seems that you cannot just take the exam - it is a bundled package which includes the background check. Thanks for any input.

Reply by DogmongerCA on 9/18/06 8:35am
Msg #146683

Monica did you try and order it online from the NSA website

I took it online, ordered it for 45.00 about two months ago. I hear the Signing Registry has a great certification program.

Reply by Charm_AL on 9/18/06 8:43am
Msg #146686

Re: Monica did you try and order it online from the NSA website

SR and 123, and Nationwide certifies their Rev mort Sa's thru Wellls Fargo

Reply by MonicaFL on 9/18/06 8:52am
Msg #146692

Re: Monica did you try and order it online from the NSA website

That's great. I do a lot of Reverse mortgages. Thanks so much.

Reply by Charm_AL on 9/18/06 8:53am
Msg #146694

Monica...

send me an e-amil and I'll send you the course and test links

Reply by Charm_AL on 9/18/06 8:52am
Msg #146693

dog...

there's a new feature! We get to pay the NNA now for a background check. I get a lot of calls from signing agent, I wonder if my refusal to line their pockets will affect my listing. I'm glad I just renewed, wonder if it'll take a year to catch up to me or if it takes effect asap.

Reply by DogmongerCA on 9/18/06 9:14am
Msg #146707

Charm, al CA notaries have to submitt to a background check

by the Departent of Justice, so the NNA's effort to separate me from ny money would not be appreciated. I hold my nose when dealing with the NNA, and if not for printed materials advertising Certification, I would not have bothered to do it at all. 75 lbs of crab has my mouth watering this morning:-) Happy Anniversary, mine is on the 19th of this month, but wife doesn't like crab:-(

Reply by Charm_AL on 9/18/06 9:18am
Msg #146708

Re: Charm, al CA notaries have to submitt to a background check

Happy A. to you too! You do the crab, get her a filet or somesuch...but man, we ate crab, snow, king and dungeoness! Joe's Crabshack in Kennesaw GA....oh, and the flippin' $19. oysters on the half shell. Yes for a dozen, I was looking for the damn pearls when we got the bill!

Reply by Julie/MI on 9/18/06 9:07am
Msg #146703

Why do you feel you need to be "certified" by anyone? I wouldn't and don't do the 123, it's a joke.

Reply by Charm_AL on 9/18/06 9:13am
Msg #146705

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion about it. I do not advocate or go against it. As with every conversation about certification....It looks good on your resume, some companies prefer certification. It means, at the very least, you know the basic answers for notary/SA questions. Cases like in my state. all you need is 15 minutes and a check to get commissioned. I'm certified and I sell myself that way. In facy there are a few companies that won't use your services if you do not have E&O.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 9/18/06 10:16am
Msg #146715

Just certify yourself and even print yourself a certificate if you wish. It holds as much water as an NNA certification, in my opinion! Besides, has anyone ever asked if you are currently certified? Good morning Charm!

Reply by Charm_AL on 9/18/06 10:19am
Msg #146716

Charles...

Good Morning to you too!
I have been asked if I was certified when filling out the databases online...

or....was that certifiable? hmmmm

Reply by Charles_Ca on 9/18/06 12:22pm
Msg #146753

Re: Charles...I'm definately certifiable, that goes without

saying. But when you are asked if you are certified does it ask specifically by whom. I have been certified by the NNA but I would just as soon been certified by the Alabama NSA Network and Charm school and I bet no one would ever question it. Years ago when I my mechatronics business underground construction in Oakland was an extremely competitive business and I had one client I used to design and build super secret equipment he wold use in an enclosed truck after dark. One day he got outbid by a competitor and came to me to find out if I had designed and built something new: I hadn't. So we grabbed our hardhats and headed out to the job site. The other company hired a guard service to make sure no one could get to the equipment. We just walked up to the guard, I asked him how was it going that night, was he having any problems with intruders and told him that I was going to go up and check on the equipment. On the way out I commented that he should keep his eyes open because the competition was trying to get in to see the equipment and left. The next bidding cycle my client had a newer, faster and more powerful piece of equipment and he had no problems winning bids. If you answer what people expect they don't look any further. Have fun!

Reply by Charm_AL on 9/18/06 1:33pm
Msg #146779

Re: Charles...I'm definately certifiable, that goes without

No Charles I don't believe I've had to answer by whom....have fun? I was so in the mood to put my nose to the grindstone, then it got REAL dark and started raining, so I decided to go start cooking something.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 9/18/06 2:41pm
Msg #146794

Cooking is good! Do you have any suggestions, I've got

bushels of apples from my trees (red and yellow delicious and granny smiths some of which I slice, blanche and freeze) and 200# of deer meat (2 bucks) hanging ready for preparation. A part of the deer meat is going to be in venison steaks and a part of it is going to be jerky. Some of it is going to be one of my favorites: burgers ground with pork trimmings! Any suggestions? Sausage maybe! This summer was short but hot and I'm loaded with black berries too, I've already put up 100 gals of Blackberry Wine (with Montrachet yeast, I only have a 100 gal vat), canned several cases of blackberry preserve and made blackberry pies for the last few weeks but the bushes are still full (I eat some but a lot of the stuff I get I give to elderly neighbors who don't get out much anymore: the pies are a big seller). Shortly the tomatillos and chiles will start coming in. I have a sharecrop deal: I let people come in and plant on my land and all I ask is that they give me some unspecified portion (whatever they wish) and I'm a real happy camper all year round.

Reply by Gary_CA on 9/18/06 2:47pm
Msg #146798

Here's one...

Maybe too much trouble to juice the apples but... I've got an aunt who's a great cook and she always marinated the deer steaks in apple juice. Yummy. I'd just buy a bottle at the store, but I'm tellin' ya apple juice is the right flavor for venison.

Blackberries... I think I like cobbler as much as pie, in a bowl covered with half and half.

I like your sharecropping idea

Reply by Charles_Ca on 9/18/06 5:59pm
Msg #146834

Re: Here's one... Gary, I like the way you think

actually I have a cider/fruit press because I make wine at home and so the cider should work. The pomace (what's left after the pressing) would work well in the sausage. And Blackberry cobbler, well its like blackberry pie without all the unnecessary extraneous stuff like the crust, it doesn't get better than that, oh maybe with brown sugar crumble and I personally prefer scoops of chocolate. But taste is all about what you like, it is so personal. The share cropping works fine, I don't have a lot of time so I try to work out things that I can. My land has dam fed irrigation and its river bench-land so its really great farming soil, but I am not a farmer, so I exchange the use of the land and the free water in exchange for a share of the crop. Same with the deer, I get 4 depredation tags every year (we have an incredible deer population here) and I have a butcher who is a friend and he comes out and field dresses the deer, hauls them to the shop, ages and cuts and packages the meat for half of it: works for me! Actually the Blackberries we have here are the Himalaya berry, they have exceptional taste but large seeds and so I like wine from them, but if you are careful with the seed they do make excellent preserves and pies/cobblers. Its all good.

Reply by Charm_AL on 9/18/06 2:57pm
Msg #146800

Re: Cooking is good! Do you have any suggestions, I've got

Damn Charles!
Ok...apples, I love apple crisp apple butter, cider, etc.
I have a friend in Norway, Mi., that makes sausage, here's a good one, being the cabbage lover that I am...

2 lb. ground venison
salt sprinkle
pepper sprinkle
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 head cabbage
3 cups carrots, peeled and shredded
4 cups potatoes, shredded
1 large onion,sliced
6 slices velveeta cheese
Pre heat oven to 350º
Season ground venison with salt, pepper and garlic power.
Mix well. form 6 patties.
Place each patty on one cabbage leaf on a double sheet of foil.
Divide carrots, potatoes, onion and cheese slices evenly over
patties and top each with another cabbage leaf.
Seal foil around each patty and bake 30-40 minutes Serving: 6

Blackberries! yum....

SOUTHERN BERRY COBBLER

This deep-dish berry dessert is topped with sweet biscuits.

Preparation time: 30 min Baking time: 25 min
Yield: 8 servings

Filling Ingredients: ---sooo easy

1 1/2 cups sugar
2 (6-ounce) packages fresh blackberries*
2 (6-ounce) packages fresh raspberries**
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Biscuit Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose baking mix
2/3 cup milk
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 tablespoons sugar, divided

Topping Ingredients:

Heavy Whipping Cream, whipped, sweetened, if desired

Heat oven to 400°F. Combine all filling ingredients in 3-quart saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a full boil (10 to 12 minutes). Continue boiling 1 minute. Pour into ungreased 2-quart casserole. Set aside; keep hot.

Combine baking mix, milk, butter and 1 tablespoon sugar in medium bowl. Drop 8 equal portions of biscuit dough onto hot filling. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown and filling is bubbly around edges. Cool 30 minutes. Serve warm with sweetened whipped cream, if desired.

Goes great following vennison stew!
So what time's dinner?

Reply by Charles_Ca on 9/18/06 5:45pm
Msg #146833

I knew you come through Charm.

I was looking for a good suasage recipe. I've got several but all of them are real heavy on sodium sulphite and I've had good venison and apple sausage but I didn't have the recipe. I know what I'll be doing this evening. If it works out I'll send you some. I was thinking of smoking some sauasage also what do you think? Uh, When can you and Greg Make it over? Hey, kapusta is good (kapusta = cabbage in Russian)

Reply by Charm_AL on 9/18/06 10:35am
Msg #146719

Hey Julie...

nice pic on your website, is that you?

In my opinion, your profile and website come off as pointing fingers, which is negative sounding to me, almost like a 'chip on the shoulder'. While it is in your best interest to promote your positives, I don't get the off the cuff 'I'm better than the average know nothing that lies about their experience' statements.
Maybe it's just me but it hits me wrong and sounds defensive for some reason, can't put my finger on it.
I like the look of the website, looks professional and to the point, looking around at everyone's for ideas for the AL network.

Reply by Julie/MI on 9/18/06 11:43am
Msg #146745

Hey Charm...hope this posts in the right spot!

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, it's me. Taken in my foyer by my 10 year old with a low pixel camera. My husband's camera would show every wrinkle...... I had on my work out pants on with my suit jacket!

2. Dear Charm, I DO HAVE A CHIP ON MY SHOULDER, you are NOT mistaken! Smile

In 2000/2001 I WAS THE ONLY NOTARY LISTED IN MY COUNTY ON THE NASA (not NNA) DIRECTORY. I was rolling in the dough I mean rolling in it. Then NNA bought it, offered seminars and and was dethroned by the newbies that undercut. The only thing that saved me was I knew my stuff inside and out from my related work in the industry. I was sent back out to fix the stuff the newbies missed.

3. Most that have a website do not get closing appointments from the websites. I get some general notary work, but I usually don't want it. Truthfully, the only ones that visit my profile are notaryrotary memebers!

4. My site has a lot of typos, fragmented sentences and other errors. I have no clue how to get back in. When I have some time, I'll try to fix it.

5. Thank you for your comments!

Reply by Carolyn Bodley on 9/18/06 12:56pm
Msg #146766

Re: Hey Charm...hope this posts in the right spot!

Julie,
Strangely enough, it seems that everyone has an opinion as to what is right and wrong about *other* members profiles--what they should say, what they shouldn't say, what kind of photo, etc. The phrase *don't live in glass houses* comes to mind when I read posts telling someone what they should say, how they should look and how they should act -- when, in fact, our profiles are NO ONE'S business, except for the company interested in hiring a SA.

I agree that the NNA with their one day "get rich" seminar has ruined the profession. Their certification open book untimed test is a joke -- I don't normally click message profile links, but I was curious as to what the fuss was. In my own opinion, your profile states "I am THAT good" -- certainly nothing to be ashamed of, or need for explanation or justification.

Reply by Charm_AL on 9/18/06 1:23pm
Msg #146775

Carolyn, there was no "fuss" about anything. In fact, I was complimenting her photo. I don't believe I told her what to say, how to look or how she should act.
Talk about minding your own business!

Reply by Carolyn Bodley on 9/18/06 2:36pm
Msg #146792

Re: we all have opinions

Charm, I remember once when your own profile photo was made the subject of opinion. If you will remember, at that time I also posted that our photos and profiles were our own business and our own personal preferences -- we can't please everyone, so make sure we please ourselves.

Your opinion of Julie's profile -- "pointing fingers," "negative sounding" and her "having a chip on the shoulder" struck a nerve with me, and if you had suggestions or comments on changes she could make for the better, I think they would have been better handled through a private e-mail.

Reply by Charm_AL on 9/18/06 2:46pm
Msg #146797

Re: we all have opinions

Carolyn, while I remember what you are saying, I do not think I was offering comments or suggestions on changing it. I was in the middle of research and since this is a public forum and if a profile is posted/linked, I believe it is up to debate, question or conversation involving it. Just like when mine was the 'topic' I took it with a grain of salt. I would hide it or not post it if I felt it was no one's business to look at and comment or question.
Personally, I like Julie, she's good people in my book.
I was questioning more or less, why she felt the way she did, to which I got an answer. I hope you and yours are doing well. I haven't seen you post in a long time and I miss the e-mails you used to send.

Reply by Gary_CA on 9/18/06 2:52pm
Msg #146799

Re: we all have opinions... give me yours

If ever you see a marketing piece of mine you think is pointed the wrong direction please please please let me know.

I might even send ya somethin' nice for the trouble.

P.S. while we're on the subject... it seems to me that Julie is right about the situation and Charm is right about the marketing. It's a judgement call and you do have to say why you're better but I've always treaded lightly on the competition, I think a very little bashing goes a long way against credibility. It's a fine line.

Reply by Charm_AL on 9/18/06 1:21pm
Msg #146773

LOL Julie, you're beautiful...I'd like to borrow that camera...and your hair Smile

I know how you feel about the NNA, I don't think anyone would disagree on that! I think knowing our stuff inside and out will be our only saving grace. We had an onslaught of newbies here a while ago, lots of mistakes and I was going out to fix them myself. Three are already gone. I think we will perservere. Ok, back to work! Thanks for the response.

Reply by BrendaTx on 9/18/06 7:13pm
Msg #146844

Re: Hey Julie... Charm, I am guilty of it too...

**Maybe it's just me but it hits me wrong and sounds defensive for some reason, can't put my finger on it. **

I have used a lot of this type of logic in my marketing of the network.

Julie probably gives a rat's tail what I think but I did not find any negativity in it--more like the truth.

Maybe a little bit in the G/R/Q remarks at the first of her profile, but IMHO it's time to take the kid gloves off and say what we mean about the low quality of what TCs are getting in most signing services vs. people who actually understand the process of how the docs got to the notary in the first place.

A little shock therapy is good for the soul...the TCs, lenders, and the notaries who really do study the business, the notary law, and the whole process.

Reply by Teddog/CO on 9/18/06 11:08am
Msg #146725

It's my personal opinion you should just keep that extra money to purchase your paper. I really didn't see any difference in acquiring clients. There are so many sites out there offering certification that it's downright ridiculous. You can spend a small fortune taking every course and buying books. Not say courses and books don't help, I'm sure they are helpful. If you do not have any background in real estate or loans. Again just my opinion Experience and searching on line or using the search button produce all the help you need. If you have questions RE: laws it's really best to contact your State office for the best answer to your questions.

So bottom line keep your money for the supplies you will be using . NNA, well all they are ever looking for is $$$$. They need to make the loss of a lot of notaries that will no longer have a anything to do with them. Background check, call your State office and get the true story . I'm sure NNA is using this as yet another "gimmick." I don't know what the NNA is saying as I did not reup the last time my membership expired. My personal feeling is that NNA did nothing but make life rough for the professional and full-time notaries to make a living. The day I see NNA back-up notaries regarding a fair fee and start to expose the deadbeat ss in print that's when I'll become a member again, (bet I'll be dead a long time) before that happens. lol

My best to you.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.