Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Electronic Mileage Log or good software?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by NCLisa on 9/22/06 4:29pm
Msg #147863

Anyone use an electronic mileage log device or software? If so, what do you use, and do you like it?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 9/22/06 4:33pm
Msg #147865

I hit my tripometer before I leave and use Quicken to keep the record

Reply by Tina_MA on 9/22/06 6:42pm
Msg #147887

I use ExpenseLog Pro in my PDA. I also have software that extracts the info into a great Excel spreadsheet for taxes (which was free).

I've been using it for years. I bought it from the online Palm store. It's made by TrajectoryLabs.com.

Reply by Becca_FL on 9/22/06 6:45pm
Msg #147888

I use an old fashion pen to jot down the mileage on the confirmation. I transfer the total mileage into my journal. Now come about March I work feverishly to match c/o and journal entries and enter data into an excel spreadsheet for tax prep.

It works for me...kind of.

Reply by Teresa/FL on 9/22/06 7:03pm
Msg #147892

I use Microsoft Streets & Trips. I route my whole day out and save the file. It shows total mileage and it also comes with a GPS attachment that I use with my laptop when I'm on the road and need to re-route myself when I run into construction and traffic delays.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 9/22/06 7:09pm
Msg #147894

Wow, I really am old-fashoned .. n/m

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 9/22/06 7:09pm
Msg #147895

Wow, I really am old-fashoned .. n/m

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 9/22/06 7:13pm
Msg #147898

Sorry about the triple post ...

Log the mileage with a pen on a piece of paper, then enter it into an excel sperad sheet at the end of the day.

Reply by David Kral on 9/22/06 7:20pm
Msg #147903

I use Quicken. I log each closing and the amount to be paid. In the memo field I write unpaid-34(for the miles). If I go to officedpot, I make an entry will 0 as the amount and put
paid-12 (miles). I can print reports by category. Title Co_abc, Title Co_xyz, Title Co_123.
I shows quickly who has paid and how has not. I can then also quickly add up all my milage at the end of the year. (Sometimes I add it up during the year. Paid 34(miles to date 1725).

Works very well keeps everything in one place.

Reply by GBailey_KY on 9/23/06 7:38am
Msg #147989

Oh-oh...with things so crazy in my life this year, I have not sat down with the J.K. Lasser's "Your Income Tax 2006" to see what I need to do about mileage for my small business. However, I have kept the mapquest driving directions for every signing I have done. The mileage from mapquest is then entered into the Excel spreadsheet I set up for each borrower/lender/title/signing service along with my total income.

Am I going to run into problems because I do not have actual odometer readings?

Reply by Becca_FL on 9/23/06 10:35am
Msg #148060

Only if you're audited. NaNa

Reply by SharonMN on 9/24/06 10:44am
Msg #148219

Good old notepad!

I keep a small spiral notebook in my vehicle. Log starting and ending mileage and purpose every time I drive for notary biz. No electronics. Add it all up with a calculator at tax time! If I tried to use a spreadsheet, I'd never update and it would be hopelessly incomplete. With the notebook, I can make my record at the time of the driving.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.