Embosser
Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by Leslie Hawkins on 9/24/06 1:34am
Msg #148177

Embosser

Can anyone tell me how to use my embosser. thanks

Reply by Barbara O on 9/24/06 6:51am
Msg #148188

Do you mean just the embosser itself or the embosser with the little gold sticky things? To use just your embosser, you move the little switch on the top so that it falls open. Slide the piece of paper in the opening and position it on a clear open space on the paper. Then squeeze the embosser together (I need both hands, lol). To use the gold foil seals with it, you lick them, stick it on the spot you wish to place your seal and then follow the same procedure as above, positioning the embosser in the direct center of the foil seal. Smile

Reply by Charles_Ca on 9/24/06 10:29am
Msg #148212

Re: Embosser - California requires that stamps for recording

be photo-reproducible. I use a desk-top embosser primarily for foreign notarizations, it is perfectly legal to use in California but the embossed surface must be inked. I use a special inking pad to ink the top of the embossed letters. I use a gold seal for somethings that someone may want to look more official, again mostly foreign, and you wouldn't ink over an embossed gold seal. Sometimes for foreign notarizations I even use a piece of ribbon under the gold seal. Some countries like things to look a certain way for them to be considered "official." The rubber self-inking stamp is so much easier to use and you don't have the hassle of inking it, besides I've run into situations recently where the county recorder's counter clerk has balked at accepting an embossed seal because they don't see many any more.

Reply by NCLisa on 9/24/06 10:41am
Msg #148217

I'm not a fan of embossers. Here in NC, the ROD has a rule that if there is anything within 1/2 of the side margins, there is an additional $25 recording fee. Most notaries that use the embossers end up in that margin, hence the recording is short $25.00.

Reply by Tina_MA on 9/24/06 11:59am
Msg #148235

In MA, embossers were considered the official seal until about two years ago.

Currently, most Notaries I know, including myself, still consider the embosser the official seal and use the ink stamp so that we don't have to hand print our name and commission date.

In MA, we also are not allowed to write or stamp in the margins, this includes embossing. We fold the paper a little, then slide it into the embosser. This makes certain that the embossed seal is well within the margins.

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 9/25/06 2:55am
Msg #148314

A Deed of trust will not record with an Embosser

You can do it as Charles said with an Ebosser but you must figure out how much Ink to apply to the Embosser because a Deed of Trust in Calif must have a "wet inked seal."

The other problem in Ca is the Embosser is circular in shape and while this is legal many Calif Recorders will not record a Deed of Trust with a circular seal.

All I'm saying is: make is easy to have a Ca Deed Of Trust record and get a Rectangular Seal and stamp with a "wet inked stamp/seal.

Reply by Leslie Hawkins on 9/25/06 2:44pm
Msg #148390

Thanks for all the good advise!!!!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.