Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Federally Mandated Background checks equal NNN...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by Jon on 9/19/06 9:12pm
Msg #147068

National Notary Nonsense!

I have read their articles, and if anyone takes the time to do the same, they will see that it is nothing more than another attempt to convince the notary spend his money on a program that has no basis in any law that I can find. The articles state that "participating" companies will only use NNA certified notaries. If it is mandated by the federal government, why is it that only some companies have to participate? They can say all they want, but reality is that they use language that appears to be official when it is nothing more than a slick marketing campaign, bordering on false advertising.

Another question, if Graham-Leach-Blilely is the reasoning for this, why is it called "new regulations"? I believe that Graham-Leach-Blilely was passed in 1999. Seems to me it would be old regulations that nobody bothered to adhere to. The truth is, according to the NNA articles minus the spin, that six(6) national companies are going to require background checks and they will use only those that are checked by the NNA (ok, so it was minus only some of the spin). Several of the companies mentioned already require background checks, and I work for a couple of those who have NOT done a background on me because I won't give them permission. Yes I still work for them.

Some companies may require a background check, but it is based on company policy rather than being mandated federal government. Take the time to READ the articles and not just skim over them and you will see what I have been saying. Don't believe everything you read, especially when it comes from the NNA.

Remember, NNA stands for...

Not Necessarily Accurate

Great evening to all

This post is obviously my opinion, and I believe it to be correct based on the lack of any specific references to actual law mandating background checks. If any such law exists, please point me to it specifically and I will adjust my opinion based on the new information.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 9/19/06 9:28pm
Msg #147072

The contents of this post have been removed by Notary Rotary at the request of the author.

Reply by DD/OR on 9/19/06 9:41pm
Msg #147074

The contents of this post have been removed by Notary Rotary at the request of the author.

Reply by T___CA on 9/19/06 9:57pm
Msg #147079

I don't know about other states, but California requires a background check to become a notary public. So it seems like title companies doing business in CA simply need to make sure they are dealing with a commissioned notary public. And the notary can save their $149 (if I remember the amount correctly) for something besides an NNA expense. I looked at CA's notary govt website and didn't see any mention of the new federal legislation the NNA referred to. Seems odd to me.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 9/19/06 10:03pm
Msg #147081

T - yes CA requires a background check for notaries

Reply by Jon on 9/19/06 10:12pm
Msg #147084

"...didn't see any mention of the new federal legislation the NNA referred to."

That's because there is no federal legislation. Even the NNA does not say there is federal legislation, they word their articles to sound like there is federal legislation. Think of the NNA as an infomercial, they make their product sound good, but it has no substance.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 9/19/06 10:25pm
Msg #147088

I initially posted on this several days ago and I'm really happy to see the opinions put forth - my biggest gripe at that time was I was so over paying money to NNA - but didn't want to be outside the law.

Glad to see the interpretations this has brought out - thanks everyone - you all have really helped me with this issue. Since I've seen several people say that they were asked to get b/g screenings by some companies I think I'll just hold off and deal with it on a case by case issue.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 9/19/06 10:27pm
Msg #147091

Linda...You and Me and Dupree!

We have all over payed and had to look at the facts....one notary at a time. Interpretations are just that, and each notary must decide for themself.

I tend to deal with common sense whether its a notary issue or a life one. Sort of makes things simpler (and I like simple)!

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 9/19/06 11:21pm
Msg #147112

Re:.You and Me and Dupree! BTW how was that movie?.. n/m

Reply by TitleGalCA on 9/19/06 11:25pm
Msg #147114

Haven't seen it yet - afraid of contributing to the

Delinquency of a juvenile...(a 27yr old woman named Kate).

I want to see that movie with Antonio Bandaras about dancing at a jr. high school. Now that could turn some young people around!!

(and yes! There is a Santa Clause)!

Reply by T___CA on 9/19/06 10:35pm
Msg #147094

Title Gal and Jon,
I hear you.

Here is what sounds like they are claiming there is new federal legislation. "This program makes it easy for you to become a Certified Notary Signing Agent in compliance with the new industry requirements and federal regulations."

It would be one thing to be so clear that notaries know what they are being sold, but there is just enough questionable word placement in the article to make it sound like notaries need what the NNA is selling. I know....apparently that is not new for the NNA. Too bad an organization representing so many notaries doesn't have a stellar reputation. Notaries are supposed to be honestly serving the public, so it seems ironic that notaries may have to be suspicious of a notary organization. :/

Reply by TitleGalCA on 9/19/06 10:59pm
Msg #147099

T_CA and Shane

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 9/19/06 11:04pm
Msg #147102

Re: Federally Mandated Background checks .. I do know this

I was initially certified through NNA <<ducks & runs>> - they've now increased their fee for their certification course and testing to include the background check - my question to them is

You just processed me in June - you didn't know about this requirement then?...now you want me to pay MORE for what you should have known I would need - if I truly NEEDED it? NO..not gonna do it...not yet anyway..

And I've never bashed the NNA - I've kept quiet and read the other posts - til now - this takes the cake.

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 9/19/06 11:08pm
Msg #147105

What fee does the NNA want to charge? n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 9/19/06 11:13pm
Msg #147106

Re: What fee does the NNA want to charge? .$39.. n/m

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 9/19/06 11:19pm
Msg #147110

Re: What fee does the NNA want to charge?

For background screening? From the NNA site: "Through December 1, 2006, you can obtain your background screening for only $39 (you save 20% off the regular price of $49)."

Other programs offered:

"Certified Notary Signing Agent Program — Online Training
Member Price: $169.00 / Non-Member: $169.00"

"Foolproof Notary Solutions Training Online
Member Price: $59.00 / Non-Member: $59.00" ... gotta love this one Smile

Home Study Course: 'Certified Notary Signing Agent Program
Member Price: $149.00 / Non-Member: $149.00"

Reply by JanetK_CA on 9/20/06 4:38am
Msg #147144

The contents of this post have been removed by Notary Rotary at the request of the author

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 9/20/06 9:59am
Msg #147190

<< (I'm not sure why I'm still getting their email newsletters>>

At least you're still getting them - I AM an active member (for the time being) and I never hear from these people!! I happened to visit the website about a week ago and stumbled on this announcement.

<<I think the fact that they are including the background screening in with their certification just proves that they are more interested in increasing the number of renewal "certifications" than anything else. They could easily have offered it as a separate product if there really was a "requirement" - and if they were genuinely interested in providing a service to notaries. >>

That's the other thing about this that not only irks me but has me questioning "what's with this?" - I just joined them this past April (because it was the only site I knew at the time and they had an ad on Monster.com) in anticipation of our move to Florida. I went through them for the required Florida notary training and got my commission in JUNE and my NSA cert in JULY!! If this is, in fact, going to be madatory, ya think they would have known then??..Not one thing was said in any of the information I read that "oh..and by the way...by 12/1/06 there will be a mandatory background screening or you can't do the work we've certified you for.

Sorry...every time I think about this the steam starts coming out of my ears..

Reply by JanetK_CA on 9/20/06 3:56pm
Msg #147285

I think that just reinforces the fact that they are hugely fudging this "mandatory" business. I'm not losing any sleep over it and I'm certainly not planning to pay them any more. NO ONE asks me if I'm certified and haven't in several years (unless it's a lay person looking for their own notary who doesn't know any better). Personally, as a new notary in a fairly saturated market (depending on where in FL you are), if I were you, I'd worry about other things instead - like marketing the heck out of your business!

Reply by thnotary_NY on 9/20/06 9:35am
Msg #147179

hahaha careful Jon, you'll raise the ire of the "blurb" lady, she just might be *passing by*.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.