Notary Rotary
Fedex losing docs? AGH!
Notary Discussion History

Fedex losing docs? AGH!
Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by Andreas Eitschberger, Notary Public - Andreas on 9/28/06 10:08am
Msg #149029

Fedex losing docs? AGH!

I had a closing last Friday. Had to do a faxback. I called the title co. the following morning to ensure everything was ok. I had missed one spot for initials, so I reopened the fedex envelope (I had already closed it), went back to the borrowers, had them initial it. Even though the title co. said it was not necessary to fax that document, I called them just the same just to make sure, and this time they asked to have it faxed after all. I faxed it from a Fedex Kinkos, then wanted to stuff the whole package in a new envelope when I realized it was one of those reusable ones with the second glue strip. So I put everything back in there, sealed it, handed it to the clerk who weighed it in and that was that.

I get a call yesterday asking what happened to the paperwork, as the lender had received the package, but there was nothing in it. I told her I was certain I dropped it off WITH all the docs, but I would check my office. There was nothing there. So I called her back, asking what shape the envelope was in, gave here all the details I had. I also called the fedex Kinkos, talked to the manager, explained what happened. He reviewed the security tape and said that nothing unusual went on (on their end either,) and that I didn't leave anything on any of the counters either. I left the store with what looked like envelopes under my arm, and I told him that those were empty ones as I was running low on them, and they were still on my desk at home. He could not give me the exact weight of the package, unfortunately. I KNOW I sent the docs off, because using the second strip with a thicker package can be a pain, plus where else would it be?? I offered the title co. to return to the borrowers to resign the package but have not heard from them either.

I am really concerned about this whole issue for two reasons: a) the borrowers information potentially was compromised and b) what is my liability in this thing. Should I let the borrowers know? Should I leave that to the title co. or lender?

I am a bit in a panic. This has never happened to me before. I am not a careless person, and when someone has a bone to pick with me about something I was involved in, I will not rest until it's resolved (otherwise I don't sleep at night.) However, the title co. as well as Fedex have not been all too helpful in resolving this.

Anyone else this has ever happened to?

Reply by ssqu/ky on 9/28/06 10:39am
Msg #149035

I would like to email you with some info. What is your address?

Reply by Traveling2U on 9/28/06 10:44am
Msg #149038

I had a large overnight shippment from HP the driver stated he delivered it to my address @ 9:15. I believe he never took it off the Fedex truck. I first contacted the manager he told me he'll research my tracking numebr and TRY to deliver it to me on Monday delivery date was Friday. I told the manager tell your driver to bring my shippment today.

I found the corp's email address and I reported the event...send a email to Corp trust me they will find out if there was a problem. Customer service will call you then connect you to the manager. Do you have a tracking number?

I done a signing last Friday didn't trust the SS because they had lied. When I dropped off the package I remembered to get a receipt which had all the details about the package which included the weight of the package 5 lbs

If you have the tracking number it will be helpful but email Fedex Corp office the hub is in TN trust me they will have their customer service rep to call you and they will find out everything within minutes. Overnight shippment is there meat

I received my shippement that Friday @ 4:30 the $83.00 fee removed

Reply by MistarellaFL on 9/28/06 11:24am
Msg #149047

The reusable envelopes don't always seal well

Had the docs fall right out once, before I sent it.
If ever I need to use a reusable envelope, I always use a heavy-duty tape as well as sealing.
They are a pain, and because our packages are usually rather large, I think the second strip doesn't hold as well.
Just my 2 cents.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 9/28/06 11:39am
Msg #149049

Re: Guess my two cents is..

How the driver didn't see a package of papers fall out of the envelope - not like it's a single sheet or anything - it's fairly substantial ...

and where are all those docs now?....sitting on a FedEx Super's desk?

Reply by MistarellaFL on 9/28/06 11:41am
Msg #149051

My guess is that maybe the docs were lost in pre-loading, loading or a transition truck or maybe even the plane.
Remember, they don't just jump into the delivery truck from the Kinko's or drop box.
They go lots of places in between.

Reply by Andreas Eitschberger, Notary Public - Andreas on 9/28/06 11:43am
Msg #149054

I guess I learned my lesson. I am returning tonight to re-sign. I will never reuse their envelopes again, and perhaps even use the heavy duty ones they have, too. Seal them tight and all...

Still frustrating. Still though, I feel realy bad for the borrowers! Who knows what going to happen with their docs!

Reply by MistarellaFL on 9/28/06 11:49am
Msg #149059

Andreas, I have even heard of (not experienced personally) docs showing up w/o an envelope weeks or months later.
You can keep using their envelopes (some co's require it) but keep some extra tape in case you have to reuse the envelope.
Live and learn, not really yor fault, and even so, you stepped up to the plate to make it right.
Good for you. I'd have done the same thing.

Reply by ssqu/ky on 9/28/06 12:32pm
Msg #149068

Glad to hear you are returning to have the borrower(s) resign. Just review the current loan doc's to the previous loan doc's to see if any changes were made. Good luck.

Reply by Traveling2U on 9/28/06 11:57am
Msg #149062

I remember few months ago someone posted that the company claimed they didn't receive all the loan docs something like half of the docs were missing. The NSA said she went back and got a printout to and prove via in pounds. They might not be telling the the truth. I believe they got their entire loan documents.

I had planned to be a full time 24/7 last minute NSA I don't think so!! Too many mind games the lack of respect. Too much negative energy for me to do this full time.
I'll still with my stocks full time and deal with this business part time is where I'm headed

Just too many players and you always have to wonder and ask yourself will I get paid after I used my ink, time and gas. I know this business can make a person good money and my outlook is positive as long and I learn how to protect me from those who like to cheat.

Reply by trnsa_IL on 9/28/06 12:51pm
Msg #149082

I had something similar happen to me...

I did a 1st & 2nd loan a couple weeks ago on a Friday. I put both loans in one package and shipped it out the same day.

Title co called me on Monday and asked for tracking # for package 2. I told them there was only one package with both loans in it. They said they got the first package with the 1st loan, but no second loan. She went throught the docs again while I was on the phone. No 2nd loan.

I told her I am positive I put them both in one envelope, because I had to make them fit. She said look around and call me back.

Okay, I didn't have them and now I was starting to question my sanity. I called her back, and she still did not have those docs. It was late, and she said she would talk to me on Tuesday.

Bright and early Tuesday I got an email asking again where the docs were. I answered the same... I sent them in One envelope.

About 30 mins. later I got another email-- False Alarm! Someone in the title co office had opened the envelope and had not delivered both packages to her. They were there all along!

Whew! At least I knew I wasn't losing my marbles after all.

Reply by Lorraine Schecher on 9/28/06 1:49pm
Msg #149088

Re: Wouldn't the weight of the package show that the docs

were in the envelope to begin with?

Just a thought.

Reply by LIZ/VA on 9/28/06 3:20pm
Msg #149111

More fuel for the fire ( or should I say liquid?)

Here's one for you. I once had ovrnight package delivered to me,Not sure if it was FEDEX or UPS but one of the 2.
I think( again not sure ) but if my memory serves me right, it came to me on a Monday. AND.....
the docs were WET! We were not having bad weather here, and the best I could tell everywhere from the package's orignal destination to my home was dry.
I called the carrier to ask if anything unusual had happened to package on route, and they denied having anything other than delivering the package from station to station to my home.
Now, I am asking you," IF someone had spilled something on the docs, before they left the source, don't you think they would be dry after several days in transit?" Just wondering!......by the way the docs were salvageable, but several were really distressed.

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 9/29/06 4:02am
Msg #149186

Re: More fuel for the fire ( or should I say liquid?)

Too bizarre - I had the SAME THING happen to me! Envelope was dry, Lender's pkg was quite wet but luckily the Copy pkg was fairly dry, so I swapped most of the docs. Twilight zone!

I also had one that was kind of creepy - it was filled with a gritty, black substance. Not toner - it didn't leave marks, I took it outside and had to wipe the grit off every page. Envelope was clean on the outside, but the grit was on the inside of the seal, so that seal had to be unsealed at the time the grit went in.

When I worked on the inside, we had about 80 pkgs coming in daily - mostly FedEx (by FAR). About once a week, we'd get the Mishap - many times it would happen in the conveyers at FedEx, the envelope slips and gets caught - ripped up, sometimes unusable, sometimes just look like a car w/ dirty tires ran over them. Sometimes, empty envelopes - and like someone else said, docs would usually be found eventually and arrive (Lender's name/address is all over the docs, so they do show up eventually). I was always pretty impressed with the lengths to which FedEx will go to resolve these things - even if they find docs trashed so bad they're not usable, find them a week later, they would always step up to the plate and 'own' it. Stuff happens, it's not a perfect world.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.