Notary Rotary
Fee for Safe Deposit Box Inventory-FL
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by Linda_H/FL on 9/21/06 10:18am
Msg #147448

I just got a call from a bank manager to attend the drilling of 12-15 safe deposit boxes on Wednesday - I've looked in the manual and searched and can't find anything definitive about the fee other than the $10 notarial fee.

What would be a fair fee to charge (I've already quoted them a fee per box and she's supposed to call me back if she can get that approved) but now I'm wondering - since I'll basically be giving up the whole day doing inventories of the boxes, aren't I entitled to a fee for my time or am I locked into the $10 per box? TIA

Reply by Gary_CA on 9/21/06 10:34am
Msg #147457

Total your notary income for the last 90 days divide by 100

A little less than a day's pay since it's less intense skill wise, but pretty much a days work for a day's pay.

Someone may underbid that price... if so, let 'em have it.

Or you could do it for 20% of what's in the boxes... nah, maybe not... I'm betting folks with gold coins in the box respond to the warning letters, don't they. (Half of them were probably free boxes with the premium checking deal and are absolutely empty.)

Reply by Charles_Ca on 9/21/06 10:51am
Msg #147466

Since you've already quoted them a fee price appears moot

however for the future you should figure what your time is worth hourly and charge accordingly

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 9/21/06 10:53am
Msg #147467

Re: Since you've already quoted them a fee price appears moot

It's not so much the fee I quoted - I can haggle that - it was the last part of my question - aren't I *entitled* to a fee for my time or am I locked into the $10 per certificate per FL statue.

Reply by Linda Hubbell on 9/21/06 10:54am
Msg #147468

Re: AND thank you both BTW... n/m

Reply by PAW on 9/21/06 11:03am
Msg #147471

Re: Since you've already quoted them a fee price appears moo

Yes, per the FL manual, you can charge reasonable service fees for the services you provide. Remember, you are in "business" and these are "business" expenses. As for the notarial part, you can only charge a $10 fee for each notarial act. (See page 9 of the Governor's Reference Manual for Notaries.)

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 9/21/06 11:04am
Msg #147472

Re: Since you've already quoted them a fee price appears moo

Thanks Paul - that's what I did - $10 per cert and $XX per box....

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 9/21/06 12:45pm
Msg #147498

Re: LOL...update

Just spoke with the bank - they only pay the $10 per cert - no other fee..and they found someone to do it...ah well..

Reply by BobRogers_FL on 9/21/06 5:26pm
Msg #147577

Re: LOL...update

Oh, how times have changed...seems the banks have been taking lessons from the NNA. I used to do these and had no problems getting the $10 per notarization fee along with travel and time fees. Be happy that someone else took them. You can spend the whole day in a bank vault and end up with just a few bucks if all the boxes are filled and you have to inventory everything in them. This is not usually the case. Most boxes are empty and it only takes about 15 minutes to drill and open, but you never know what you're going to find.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.