Florida signing in 15 minutes..help?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by Linda_H/FL on 9/22/06 6:55pm
Msg #147889

I don't think I can do this - just need some validation I guess -

Refi - wife's name on docs is Jane M. Doe - ID is FL driver's licence Jane (maiden name) Doe - other ID state issued is Jane DOe..

I can't do this..right?

Reply by Teresa/FL on 9/22/06 6:58pm
Msg #147890

Does she have a passport?

Usually the passport shows FULL name (First, Middle, Maiden, Married)

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 9/22/06 7:03pm
Msg #147893

Re: Does she have a passport?

Ill check..thanks..Smile

Reply by Lisa Prestegard on 9/23/06 6:40am
Msg #147987

Been seeing this ALOT lately in SW FL...

particularly with women who have either recently married or renewed their drivers license. It's been a huge compliance problem with CW loans I close on a regular basis. I was told to handle it by A) Asking for identification showing her maiden name (or whatever surname appears as her middle name on the drivers license) to verify that she is one and the same person B) Having her complete the Signature and Name affidavit to reflect that she is or formerly has been known as that person.
I, along with the compliance department at a major TC I work for regularly, are going to inquire about this with the FL DMV Monday. This past week alone, the situation came up FIVE TIMES!! DMV and the SOS office need to know the problem this obviously new policy is causing with regard to identifying someone in the course of notarizing documents. Often times, once a person marries and changes over all of their ID to their new name, they have NOTHING showing the previous name.
Anyone else in FL having this issue lately??

Reply by PAW on 9/23/06 8:04am
Msg #147994

Not an issue in Florida

This particular issue is addressed very well in the Florida Governor's Reference Manual (page 61). The DMV typically uses a woman's maiden name on their driver's license. (Why? I have no idea, but this is very common in FL.) Of course, the lady doesn't use her maiden name, so title to property was written with her given middle name. Fortunately, FL allows us to use the "represented to me" form of certificates for these situations.

We must rely on satisfactory evidence that the person is who they say they are. If you, as a notary public, are satisfied that the person in front of you, signing the documents, is who they say they are, and you have required ID plus supporting evidence, you're good to go.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 9/23/06 8:42am
Msg #147999

Re: Been seeing this ALOT lately in SW FL...

Thank you all so much for the input - as it turned out I went to the borrowers' home - I have a full page of identification for this lady - there's no doubt in my mind she is who she is - now the cert is going to be rather wordy but accurate.

And you're right - she told me the DMV OFFERED to put her maiden name on her license - she hasn't used her maiden name since she got married - she uses the initial of her middle name.

Special thanks go out to Becca for taking my last minute panic-stricken telephone call - I appreciate the advice you gave me.

Again..thanks all!!

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 9/23/06 8:45am
Msg #148000

Re: Been seeing this ALOT ... and here's the kicker..

My understanding is the Mrs. TOLD her LO that her maiden name was on her license...<<sigh>>

Reply by Becca_FL on 9/23/06 10:09am
Msg #148042

Re: Been seeing this ALOT lately in SW FL...

You're welcome, Linda, glad I could help. Smile

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.