Notary Rotary
Going the Extra Mile.. and why
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by PJM/MI on 9/15/06 6:01am
Msg #146267

I read frequent posts on here about how we are to be just witnesses. ("please just sign, Mr. & Mrs".) Yes, it is our jobs to make sure Mr/Mrs are who they say they are, BUT.. we are to make sure they understand the document and the document is CORRECT.
The horrible anniversary of 9/11 just passed, and I don't know how many of you are aware of the fact that a NOTARY notorized documents for some of the terrorists. The document she notarized was not complete, nor filled in properly. (From what I understand, she is now in a federal prison).
We are to know the laws of our State, know the document the person is signing and make sure it is correct.
Even with loan documents, we are to go the "extra mile" and know the documents. This isn't just a"sign here" type of business.

Reply by Dorothy_MI on 9/15/06 7:51am
Msg #146287

PJM/MI - please email me

Thanks. I'd like to talk to you about something.

Reply by Kate/CA on 9/15/06 9:57am
Msg #146312

She/he notary signed and stamped 35 acknowledgments 3 of which were use by three terrorists to secure a drivers license. She only got 5 dollars apiece for the 35 acknowledgements, a whopping $105.00. They only sentence her/he to 18 months and is probably out by now. I thought it should of been at least 35 years. One for each acknowledgment.

Reply by MichiganAl on 9/15/06 11:47am
Msg #146356

Yes, point and sign doesn't cut it

I agree it's vital to have a good understanding of our laws and the docs. But of course, it's a fine line we're sometimes walking. We can't interpret docs, but we can point out terms and give a general description of the purpose of a doc. We want them to be comfortable and have a good understanding of what they're signing, but we can't advise or give opinions. Go the extra mile, but be careful not to put yourself out on a legal limb. This job isn't hard, but to really excell it takes a good head on your shoulders.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.