Notary Rotary
Going to Jails or detention facilities or prison
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by TANYA PELLEGRINO on 9/1/06 12:57am
Msg #142771

I got a call about what I would charge to go to a jail,prison or detention facility. I have never done this and I don't know what to charge. Has anyone done this and what do you charge them?

Sorry to be a pain in the butt.

Reply by Brad_CA on 9/1/06 1:02am
Msg #142773

$10.00 per signature plus a travel fee.

Reply by Pamela on 9/1/06 5:43am
Msg #142781

Tanya, Re: Going to Jails or detention facilities or prison

Tanya Good Morning,

I haven't notarized anyone incarcerated either;
however, I notice than the notaries who do these
type of notarizations, charge between $100.00-$300.00
plus signature fee. Some even add mileage on top!.
(This information was obtained from the
various notarial websites.)

Remember, when going to these type of places,
you have to take into account, parking fees, travel
time, "body searches", the length of time there etc. . .

Pam

Reply by Dave_CA on 9/1/06 9:17am
Msg #142819

Re: Tanya, Re: Going to Jails or detention facilities or prison

Tanya,

I have not done any in a Prison but have done several at the jail.
I charge a min. of $150 and tell them I may have to charge more if there is an unusually long wait or the facility gets locked down and I have to make two trips.

All of these jobs have come from Attorneys and they tend to understand how the jail works and charging based on time.

I find out what needs to be notarized when they call and quote an all inclusive price.

Finally, while I do have to pay for parking I've never been searched.

Reply by TANYA PELLEGRINO on 9/5/06 1:05am
Msg #143491

Thank you this helps me a great deal. I am new and a few times that I have asked for help on here. I got my head bit off.

Reply by BrendaTx on 9/5/06 6:31am
Msg #143494

**Thank you this helps me a great deal. I am new and a few times that I have asked for help on here. I got my head bit off.**

Getting your head seemingly "bit off" is the price you pay when you plug into a public forum.

Since you have verbally slapped this forum twice with your complaint in this thread, I feel compelled to help you understand that.

Tanya, people who feel they have had their bitten are not used to hearing something they do not want to hear. They want sugar coated answers each time. They want to be told they are right. That's unrealistic.

It's not "mean old notaries" doing the biting. IMHO it is immature "give me what I want" ears doing "the hearing." No just here, but in all public forums like this one.

People gave you answers, but yet, that was not enough. You had to let this forum know you were not happy with it--twice. If you cannot stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. The "kitchen" I refer to is the public Internet forum. They (public forums) ALL have answers on them readers not want to hear.

Because my father has multiple myeloma, I read a group list for MM. People give blunt answers and disagree on that list also. And, they are not talking about a competitive business, as is discussed here. They ALL want help for a tragic disease, yet with a few thousand readers, someone always says something that another does not want to hear.

One post on the MM list this week said it like this:

> This topic has been discussed before on the list and
> is a very emotional one with two divergent views (and
> not much area in between it seems).

and another said this:

>And we should all feel free to post what's on our mind concerning MM
>without being attacked.
>I did and I was

Yes, Tanya, people should always be nice, but what is nice to one (bluntness, or truth) does not sound like niceness to a person who wants to be validated and supported on a public forum.

People with MM/cancer even tell each other to grow up and get thicker skin. Since you mentioned the rude ways of people here twice, I felt compelled to answer that complaint with a realistic answer. It was not meant ugly, it was a truthful.

You'll learn a lot from this forum if you stop looking here for group love and group support.

Right or wrong, that's not always going to happen here...or in any public Internet forum.

Seek this kind of support from your family, your church, your rabbi, priest, or pastor. And, even there, you may find "negative" input. That's the way the world is.

If you do not like yourself, you won't like what people tell you 90% of the time.

Now that you know that, perhaps you can stop hoping for things you will not get here and start looking for nuggets you can use for your business.

Reply by BrendaTx on 9/5/06 6:33am
Msg #143495

Re: Tanya, correction...

Your complaint was in another recent thread:

**I am affraid to ask for help because people get rude. **

I said it was this thread. It was in another one within the last day or so.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 9/1/06 10:22am
Msg #142842

I have performed weddings in a correctional facility. Those are very interesting.

Reply by Mia on 9/1/06 10:58am
Msg #142853

I always call the jail / prison before I even go -- sometimes the inmate is not
allowed out of the cell (for many different reasons).
Figure your travel and time -- give yourself about an hour for the notarization
plus your travel time.

Now this is for the "Women Only": Don't wear an underwire bra into the
correctional facility - it will set the metal detectors and security scans off -
security will make you take your bra off. (I guess they feel that it could be
used as a weapon).

:-)

Reply by Pamela on 9/1/06 12:28pm
Msg #142879

Mia, Re: Going to Jails or detention facilities or prison

Very Good to know!

Pam

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.