Notary Rotary
How do you deal with this?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by Linda_H/FL on 9/25/06 9:43pm
Msg #148459

I have a signing tomorrow night (supposedly) and I'm not allowed to contact the borrower prior to the closing at all. If I want directions I have to call the lender directly. This is a reschedule - was supposed to be done tonite - got the assignment Friday and I was not to contact the borrrower but the lender authorized me to speak with the client and gave me their number. Well, lo and behold, he couldn't be available tonite. Now I have it reassigned for tomorrow with the "no contact" instructions.

Now, my normal routine is to call the borrower to confirm the appointment time, get directions with landmarks, and then I confirm (a) that they have the copies of ID I need to collect, if any, and (b) how their names appear on their DL's to hopefully avoid an ID problem. I can't do this with this one as I can't talk to them.

How do you all handle this? TIA

Reply by jackie/PA on 9/25/06 10:17pm
Msg #148462

As we are suppose to contact borrower to confirm appointment, I do not understand why you are not suppose to talk with them. Something doesn 't sound right.

Reply by hcampersFL on 9/25/06 10:29pm
Msg #148464

Get it in writing that you get paid if BR is a no show etc. I had a company do this to me before, it was the only time I would work for them. Sounds like the same crew.

Reply by CaliNotary on 9/25/06 10:36pm
Msg #148467

Amen to that

I wouldn't step foot out the door unless I had a written guarantee that I'd get my full fee no matter what happened. Once you have that, what does it matter? If they're a no show you'll just get done earlier than you probably would have otherwise (I'd wait 30 minutes) and still get paid the same.

If they're not willing to give you this guarantee then you should tell them that they can either give you the borrower's contact information or find another notary.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 9/25/06 10:58pm
Msg #148468

Re: Amen to that

I used that lil orange button the other day and saw some posts about this sort of situation - today when she told me no contact I said ok but also told her I was aware of prior problems with the notary showing up to a borrower's home and the borrower not having any intention of signing - I told her to make sure this client was going to be available as I did not want to find myself in a similar situation. As to the no-show fee, never gave that a thought but I'll address that IF the confirmation ever comes in..

Thanks for all your input - I agree this whole thing seems odd - in fact, when she found out Friday that the lender authorized me to speak directly to the client she was surprised - today I got the third degree about who it was, was the person new, etc..etc.. this person told me Friday they'd had "notary issues" with this lender before - I'm beginning to wonder if it's really the lender's issues or if it's really the service.

Ah well..we shall see..

Reply by Becca_FL on 9/25/06 11:01pm
Msg #148469

Two lenders come to mind when you see "do not contact the borrower."

Do you remember a conversation about NSAs going over terms on the phone BEFORE the closing that struck such a cord a few weeks ago? Well, because of this practice a few lenders have asked that the NSA not contact the brw before the closing. Thank your fellow NSAs for this twist.

Anyway, as long as you have written documentation stating that you will be paid regardless of the outcome, don't worry about it. MapQuest, googlemaps, yahoo and msn all have decent driving directions. If the Co. is not willing to pay you regardless, tell them you don't do charity work let alone guess work and say "good luck" filling that assignment.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 9/25/06 11:19pm
Msg #148471

Directions are a problem up here - they can never pinpoint the exact addresses - that's why I like to call for landmarks and specific instructions on finding them - had one last week the Mapquest directions were not even close...

Reply by Becca_FL on 9/25/06 11:33pm
Msg #148474

Maybe a GPS is in order? I have one I can sell you. We have two and I can't get myself to use one.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 9/25/06 11:44pm
Msg #148476

Thanks Becca but (1) I think my husband has one (for his boat) and (2) I have no clue how to use it..

My business volume doesn't warrant that yet anyway - besides it's not like this no-contact this is a common thing.

Reply by Becca_FL on 9/26/06 12:07am
Msg #148478

How funny...my SO has two for the boat. He bought the new color version and couldn't see it as well as he could the backlit GPS he had. He offered the color one for me. I have no intention on learning yet another device when I get along just fine. What kind of boat do you have?

Thanks to Andy, we have a darn near sinkable laptop for the boat. It sure makes my job as navigator much easier, AND we don't have to freak out going down below to close windows when it rains. I do like some new technology.

Reply by Charm_AL on 9/26/06 8:18am
Msg #148494

Becca...

If you still have the GPS, I may be interested. I don't have a compass in my car and in this area, after I go across thru or around a mountain, I have no idea which direction I'm going. Also, the rural roads at night are basically invisible.

Reply by PL on 9/26/06 7:53am
Msg #148489

Every time I cross the Continent :)

I call the scheduler back and tell him/her that the distance is too great and I am not going without calling. Every time they come up with the #. 3 times that I can think of this has cut problems off at the pass. Good luck.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 9/26/06 9:03am
Msg #148503

Re: Every time I cross the Continent :)..Morning update

And thanks - odd - I don't have a confirmation yet for this 6:00 - looks like a phone call is in order shortly.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.